joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
January 13-21st Clippers/Hybrids

Chicago Storm

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Euro pretty impressive with the Tuesday clipper. 3-5" north of I-88 up into southern WI. with improving ratios.

Nice area of .40"+ liquid.

GGEM has been showing this clipper with good consistency for a bout 3 days now, GFS has it as well but is cheaper with the QPF.

Early thoughts from DTX with respect to the clipper around Tuesday;

THE FOCUS NOW CENTERS ON THE TRAILING WAVE FOR THE TUESDAY AND
TUESDAY NIGHT PERIODS...WITH ENOUGH SEPARATION SHOWN IN THE PV
ANALYSIS TO MAINTAIN A DEEP CONSOLIDATED CENTROID AS IT ENTERS THE
GREAT LAKES. VIGOROUS CORE OF MID LEVEL DYNAMICS WRAPPED INTO THIS
SYSTEM AS IT DIGS ACROSS THE MIDWEST ON TUESDAY. RESIDENT
ENVIRONMENT WILL FIRMLY SUPPORT A PTYPE OF SNOW AS THE ATTENDANT
MOISTURE PLUME WORKS IN...A STEADY PERIOD OF POST-FRONTAL COLD AIR
ADVECTION MONDAY NIGHT LOWERING 850 MB TEMPERATURES BACK DOWN INTO
THE -5 TO -7C RANGE BY TUESDAY. AT THIS EARLY STAGE...POTENTIAL IS
THERE FOR SEVERAL INCHES OF ACCUMULATION ACROSS PORTIONS IF NOT ALL
OF SOUTHEAST MICHIGAN DURING THIS TIME.

This is looking like the Super Bowl of winters, a fairly decent game but a really crummy half-time show (this five-day thaw is it).

On that note, I read this today.......  "New Orleans at Seattle (4:30 Sat. on FOX) – rain, windy, mid-upper 40s.   INDY at New England (8:15 pm Sat. on CBS – showers, windy, upper 40s).    San Francisco at Carolina (1:05 pm – FOX) – mostly sunny, low-mid 50s.   San Diego at Denver (4:40 pm on CBS) – partly cloudy, breezy low 40s.   The last 4 Super Bowl winners have been the visiting team playing the Philadelphia Eagles for their home opener…weird…that would mean the Chargers win this one." .......I'd bet this fact will change this year, I can't see the Chargers winning it, but who knows, nobody can predict the weather either lol. As to this clipper, anything I get and keep from melting is better than nothing.

The ECMWF is worthless.

Two runs ago it didn't even have much of a clipper.

I wouldn't got that far, but it's indicative what a fall from grace this model has had.

A year ago would it have been imaginable for the words "ECMWF" and "worthless" to be in the same sentence proffered by a reasonable board member? (except for in cases like "Euro is the king, unlike the worthless NAM.")

I wouldn't got that far, but it's indicative what a fall from grace this model has had.

A year ago would it have been imaginable for the words "ECMWF" and "worthless" to be in the same sentence proffered by a reasonable board member? (except for in cases like "Euro is the king, unlike the worthless NAM.")

That was just to pile it on.

But yea...It is worth much less than in previous years. Outside of the times where all guidance has been terrible, it has generally been out-performed by the GFS. In this region that is.

Interestingly, I noticed that the convective signals are getting tripped on the NAM for Tuesday, likely due to the deep layer of relatively steep lapse rates.  Could make things a little more interesting even if the amounts aren't all that exciting.

Congrats to us? :lol:

After examining various convective parameters, it seems like the NAM is producing some high total totals.  Based on how total totals are calculated, this is largely due to the temperature difference between 850 and 500 mb, but 850 mb dewpoints are also part of the equation. 

Edit:  18z NAM actually has TT peaking in the upper 50s here on Tuesday.  I've hardly ever seen that on a cold/winter sounding. 

Archived