joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
January 13-21st Clippers/Hybrids

Chicago Storm

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

As far as average temperatures, this week holds the coldest ones. From that perspective, this region is pretty much at the mid point of winter. Snowfall wise I would say the 20-25th of this month would be the mid point.

18z NAM 

nam_total_precip_east_25.png

It's actually showing a mix this far south.

Given that the upper wave that will produce the Tuesday clipper is currently south of Kodiak AK (PADQ) in the GOA, it's pretty likely that there will be changes in track and timing once it's finally sampled by some of the British Columbia RAOBS tomorrow morning.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

As far as average temperatures, this week holds the coldest ones. From that perspective, this region is pretty much at the mid point of winter. Snowfall wise I would say the 20-25th of this month would be the mid point.

From a daily average high/low perspective, January 7th-31st is the coldest for Detroit.

From a snowfall perspective, the mid-point of the season is January 26th

The midpoint of met winter is January 15th, the mid-point of astronomical winter is February 4th.

After examining various convective parameters, it seems like the NAM is producing some high total totals. Based on how total totals are calculated, this is largely due to the temperature difference between 850 and 500 mb, but 850 mb dewpoints are also part of the equation.

Edit: 18z NAM actually has TT peaking in the upper 50s here on Tuesday. I've hardly ever seen that on a cold/winter sounding.

Haha haven't seen the TT index mentioned on a forum since I've been on them. Nice to see it on something that's not in a meteorology book

LOT's take on this system.

THIS NEXT SYSTEM WILL BE RIDING ALONG THE HEELS OF A WEAK MID-LVL
RIDGE THAT IS PROGGED TO QUICKLY DEVELOP AFT MIDNIGHT MON NGT OVER
THE CHICAGO AREA. THIS MAY AID IN SOME DEGREE OF ENHANCEMENT TO THE
APPROACHING SHORTWAVE EARLY TUE. THE CHALLENGE IS HOW MUCH
ISENTROPIC LIFT WILL OCCUR WITH THIS NEXT WAVE...BUT AT THIS TIME
MOISTURE DOES APPEAR TO NOT BE OVERWHELMING. TEMPS SHUD BE COLD
ENOUGH THAT ALL PRECIP WILL FALL AS LIGHT SNOW...WITH AROUND A
DUSTING SOUTH OF I-80. NORTH OF THIS LINE AROUND AN INCH APPEARS
LIKELY AT THIS TIME. TIMING HAS SLOWED...AS A RESULT OF THE WEAK
RIDGE LATE MON NGT. SO HAVE PUSHED PRECIP OFF JUST A FEW HOURS UNTIL
THE PRE-DAWN HOURS TUE.

LIGHT SNOW WILL PERSIST THRU TUE MORNING...WITH A DRY SLOT BRINGING
A BREAK TO ACCUMULATIONS EARLY AFTN. WRAP AROUND MOISTURE WILL
QUICKLY BRING SOME MOISTURE BACK INTO THE FORECAST AREA TUE
AFTN...WITH SOME LIGHT ACCUMULATIONS GENERALLY LESS THAN 1 INCH
THRU EARLY EVENING.

From a daily average high/low perspective, January 7th-31st is the coldest for Detroit.

The midpoint of met winter is January 15th, the mid-point of astronomical winter is February 4th.

Feb. 4th Buffalos average high temperature goes from 31 to 32 and begins to increase 1-2 degrees each week throughout February. We have 3 more weeks of the coldest weather here. Snowfall wise our peak is Late November to late January which correlates to Lake Erie freezing over.

Feb. 4th Buffalos average high temperature goes from 31 to 32 and begins to increase 1-2 degrees throughout February. We have 3 more weeks of the coldest weather here. Snowfall wise our peak is Late November to late January which correlates to Lake Erie freezing over.

Interesting. It looks like the further west you go the quicker winter is to break through the mid point temperature wise.

17-18th the averages are at the bottom: 26°/13°, then by the 2/1 they are: 30°/15°.

Interesting. It looks like the further west you go the quicker winter is to break through the mid point temperature wise.

17-18th the averages are at the bottom: 26°/13°, then by the 2/1 they are: 30°/15°.

No way you have an average max temp of 26º on Jan 17-18. That means your on par with La Crosse at that point...a far colder place than yours. You're most likely closer to MKE, ORD, and RFD in that timeframe.

MKE: 29º 

ORD: 31º

RFD: 29º

No way you have an average max temp of 26º on Jan 17-18. That means your on par with La Crosse at that point...a far colder place than yours. You're most likely closer to MKE, ORD, and RFD in that timeframe.

Avg at UGN is 31 (For today).

That's UGN's average. There records don't go back as far.

...That's strange, I'm not sure where I got those averages from. I just looked at UGN's average as they are indeed higher. Well I'll have to fix that.

---

4km NAM coming in the same as the 12km.

Archived