I hear thunder  :)

SPECIAL WEATHER STATEMENT
NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE COLUMBIA SC
1001 PM EST FRI JAN 10 2014

SCZ026-027-030-110400-
AIKEN-LEXINGTON-SALUDA-
1001 PM EST FRI JAN 10 2014

...ISOLATED THUNDERSTORMS WITH HEAVY RAIN WILL IMPACT PORTIONS OF
LEXINGTON...SALUDA AND AIKEN COUNTIES THROUGH 1100 PM EST...

AT 958 PM EST...NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE DOPPLER RADAR INDICATED A
THUNDERSTORM...8 MILES SOUTHWEST OF MONETTA...MOVING NORTHEAST AT 30
MPH. THIS STORM WAS PRODUCING LOCALLY HEAVY RAINFALL WITH AMOUNTS UP
TO ONE INCH IN A SHORT PERIOD OF TIME WHICH MAY PRODUCE LOCALIZED
FLOODING. MOTORISTS SHOULD BE ALERT FOR PONDING OF WATER IN
ROADWAYS AND SEVERELY REDUCE VISIBILITIES.

SOME LOCATIONS THAT WILL BE AFFECTED INCLUDE...
BATESBURG...LEESVILLE...LEXINGTON...OAK GROVE...PINE RIDGE...RED
BANK...SOUTH CONGAREE...SPRINGDALE AND WEST COLUMBIA...

• Replies 164
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Heads up N GA peeps!

Tornado Warning
TORNADO WARNINGGAC085-187-227-111330-/O.NEW.KFFC.TO.W.0002.140111T1244Z-140111T1330Z/BULLETIN - EAS ACTIVATION REQUESTEDTORNADO WARNINGNATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE PEACHTREE CITY GA744 AM EST SAT JAN 11 2014THE NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE IN PEACHTREE CITY HAS ISSUED A* TORNADO WARNING FOR...  DAWSON COUNTY IN NORTH CENTRAL GEORGIA  SOUTHERN LUMPKIN COUNTY IN NORTH CENTRAL GEORGIA  SOUTHEASTERN PICKENS COUNTY IN NORTH CENTRAL GEORGIA* UNTIL 830 AM EST* AT 740 AM EST...NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE DOPPLER RADAR INDICATED A  SEVERE THUNDERSTORM CAPABLE OF PRODUCING A TORNADO 22 MILES WEST OF  DAWSONVILLE...MOVING NORTHEAST AT 45 MPH.* OTHER LOCATIONS IN THE WARNING INCLUDE BUT ARE NOT LIMITED TO  DAHLONEGA.PRECAUTIONARY/PREPAREDNESS ACTIONS...HEAVY RAINFALL MAY OBSCURE THIS TORNADO. TAKE COVER NOW! IF YOU WAITTO SEE OR HEAR IT COMING...IT WILL BE TOO LATE TO GET TO A SAFEPLACE.IF YOU SEE WIND DAMAGE...HAIL OR FLOODING...WAIT UNTIL THE STORM HASPASSED...AND THEN CALL THE NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE TOLL FREE AT 1 86 6 7 6 3 4 4 6 6. YOU CAN ALSO TWEET YOUR REPORT USING HASHTAG GAWX.

Dang!! Line just rolled through and wow it is intense! I was sleeping and I awoke to the rain pounding the windows. Went outside for a bit and I would guess there were probably 40 mph gusts along with ripping rain. It kind of caught me off guard as I didn't think we were going to get much severe weather today. Tornado Warning is to my north by a county. Be safe y'all!

Hope Moto is safe!

Tornado Warning
SEVERE WEATHER STATEMENTNATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE PEACHTREE CITY GA802 AM EST SAT JAN 11 2014GAC085-187-111330-/O.CON.KFFC.TO.W.0002.000000T0000Z-140111T1330Z/LUMPKIN GA-DAWSON GA-802 AM EST SAT JAN 11 2014...A TORNADO WARNING REMAINS IN EFFECT UNTIL 830 AM EST FOR DAWSONAND SOUTHERN LUMPKIN COUNTIES...AT 759 AM EST...NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE DOPPLER RADAR CONTINUED TOINDICATE A TORNADO. THIS TORNADO WAS LOCATED NEAR JUNO...MOVING EASTAT 55 MPH.OTHER LOCATIONS IN THE WARNING INCLUDE BUT ARE NOT LIMITED TODAWSONVILLE...DOUGHERTY...LUMPKIN...AURARIA...DAHLONEGA AND GARLAND.PRECAUTIONARY/PREPAREDNESS ACTIONS...HEAVY RAINFALL MAY OBSCURE THIS TORNADO. TAKE COVER NOW! IF YOU WAITTO SEE OR HEAR IT COMING...IT WILL BE TOO LATE TO GET TO A SAFEPLACE.

1522303_693150230717361_683762540_n.jpg

Yes, somewhat negligent on the NWS part.

Yeah, pretty bad call on their part. They usually do a great job, but they definitely missed this one. Didn't even mention a isolated chance of a severe storm over North Georgia, but there are two Severe Thunderstorm Warnings and one Tornado Warning this morning. Here's their map for this morning...

image1.gif

ww0001_radar_big.gif

URGENT - IMMEDIATE BROADCAST REQUESTED   TORNADO WATCH NUMBER 1   NWS STORM PREDICTION CENTER NORMAN OK   710 AM CST SAT JAN 11 2014   THE NWS STORM PREDICTION CENTER HAS ISSUED A   * TORNADO WATCH FOR PORTIONS OF      EASTERN ALABAMA     NORTHERN AND CENTRAL GEORGIA   * EFFECTIVE THIS SATURDAY MORNING AND AFTERNOON FROM 710 AM UNTIL     200 PM CST.   * PRIMARY THREATS INCLUDE...     SEVERAL TORNADOES POSSIBLE     SEVERAL DAMAGING WIND GUSTS TO 70 MPH POSSIBLE   THE TORNADO WATCH AREA IS APPROXIMATELY ALONG AND 65 STATUTE   MILES EAST AND WEST OF A LINE FROM 65 MILES NORTH OF MACON   GEORGIA TO 30 MILES SOUTH OF COLUMBUS GEORGIA.  FOR A COMPLETE   DEPICTION OF THE WATCH SEE THE ASSOCIATED WATCH OUTLINE UPDATE   (WOUS64 KWNS WOU1).   PRECAUTIONARY/PREPAREDNESS ACTIONS...   REMEMBER...A TORNADO WATCH MEANS CONDITIONS ARE FAVORABLE FOR   TORNADOES AND SEVERE THUNDERSTORMS IN AND CLOSE TO THE WATCH   AREA. PERSONS IN THESE AREAS SHOULD BE ON THE LOOKOUT FOR   THREATENING WEATHER CONDITIONS AND LISTEN FOR LATER STATEMENTS   AND POSSIBLE WARNINGS.   &&   DISCUSSION...AN ONGOING LINEAR CONVECTIVE SYSTEM IS EXPECTED TO   PROGRESS EWD ACROSS THE WATCH AREA THIS MORNING.  THIS SYSTEM WILL   INTERACT WITH A WARM FRONT LIFTING NWD WHICH WILL ENHANCE VERTICAL   SHEAR AND SUPPORT A RISK FOR A COUPLE TORNADOES AND DAMAGING WINDS.

Quite a lot of wind damage reports per local news. Some people trapped in a mobile home in cherokee county. Actually had lot of lightning earlier this morning..i'm guessing 3 or 4am? Caught me by surprise given the wedge to be honest. Picked up 0.65 with that.

So It actually rained a pretty good bit last night in many areas so these storms are also hitting on saturated ground. Will be interesting to see how much damage ends up across the athens area..where 2 to 3 inches of rain happened earlier this morning if it doesn't weaken. . But there will be some flooding too.

Interesting seeing how far ahead the line is/how fast it's moving through the ne ga mountains/rabun county vs areas to the south..it has to be moving twice as fast as it is toward atlanta. Quite a bow from gainesville northeast.

edit...just 25 minutes after posting this, the line is quickly weakening from east of atlanta to say north of athens.  Not surprising though which is why i mentioned it weakening above because 9 out of 10 times at least storms/ or a line of storms weakens as it moves past atlanta. I'm not sure why this always happens but I'm guessing it has something to do with the elevation drop...although the elevation drop isn't but a couple of hundred feet and you wouldn't think that would be enough to cause such weakening. But it happens almost every time.

Temp up to 68 and DP is 64, looking at the vis loop out of RAH and there may be a window around 9-12 where we get some thinner clouds and maybe even some sun but its hard to tell with just a few frames. Its pretty socked in here right now though. High of 74 forecasted and I imagine DP will be 66-70 if that happens.

1522060_693147857384265_661519217_n.jpg

This line of storms was extremely strong when it rolled through, moved fast though. ~50mph was the highest gust we saw I think.

Already hearing the thunder from the next wave, but it doesn't look quite as strong, at least on radar...

ETA:  Starting to see pics of fallen trees and such around here.  Not too surprising because we've been raining like Noah's Flood for many months, the ground is so wet and I reckon it's hard to hold onto mud, even when it's red clay.

I bet. I see the line is moving fast and jumped towards your location. Stay safe.

Waiting on it to come through here now..

I had a gust of 45mph on my vantage pro when that line came through a few minutes ago.  That’s the highest gust I have recorded since I installed the unit a few months ago.

Time to pay attention Upstate SC...

BULLETIN - EAS ACTIVATION REQUESTEDTORNADO WARNINGNATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE GREENVILLE-SPARTANBURG SC943 AM EST SAT JAN 11 2014THE NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE IN GREENVILLE-SPARTANBURG HAS ISSUED A* TORNADO WARNING FOR...  NORTHEASTERN ABBEVILLE COUNTY IN UPSTATE SOUTH CAROLINA...  EAST CENTRAL ANDERSON COUNTY IN UPSTATE SOUTH CAROLINA...  SOUTHEASTERN GREENVILLE COUNTY IN UPSTATE SOUTH CAROLINA...  WEST CENTRAL LAURENS COUNTY IN UPSTATE SOUTH CAROLINA...* UNTIL 1030 AM EST* AT 942 AM EST...NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE DOPPLER RADAR INDICATED A  SEVERE THUNDERSTORM CAPABLE OF PRODUCING A TORNADO. THIS STORM WAS  LOCATED NEAR BROADWAY LAKE...OR 8 MILES SOUTH OF ANDERSON...AND  MOVING EAST AT 55 MPH.* LOCATIONS IMPACTED INCLUDE...  BROADWAY LAKE...BELTON...HONEA PATH...DONALDS AND PRINCETON.PRECAUTIONARY/PREPAREDNESS ACTIONS...A TORNADO IS LIKELY DEVELOPING. SEEK SHELTER IN AN INTERIOR ROOM ONTHE LOWEST LEVEL OF A HOUSE OR OFFICE BUILDING. PLACE AS MANY FLOORSAND WALLS BETWEEN YOU AND THE OUTSIDE AS POSSIBLE.PLEASE REPORT DAMAGING WINDS...HAIL...OR FLOODING TO THE NATIONALWEATHER SERVICE GREENVILLE SPARTANBURG BY CALLING TOLL FREE...1...800...2 6 7...8 1 0 1...OR BY POSTING ON OUR FACEBOOK PAGE...OR TWEETIT USING HASHTAG NWSGSP. YOUR MESSAGE SHOULD DESCRIBE THE EVENT ANDTHE SPECIFIC LOCATION WHERE IT OCCURRED.&&LAT...LON 3446 8270 3462 8222 3440 8222 3439 8223      3441 8225 3439 8228 3433 8268TIME...MOT...LOC 1443Z 259DEG 49KT 3440 8261

Archived