Total Members
    Most Online
    Gonzalo00
    Newest Member
    Gonzalo00
January 3-6th Winter Storm Part 2

Chicago Storm

skilling

Good Saturday all! We have quite a weather situation ahead of us! Based on everything we can see at this point, the Chicago area is on the verge of a bit of weather history--and dangerous weather history at that. The onset of the area's second snowstorm in less than a week is just hours away--a snow to occur with wind and lake-enhancement--and a snow which is to be followed by a record cold blast, the likes of which we've not seen for 2 decades! Temps will sink sub-zero Sunday evening and won't break above 0 until sometime Tuesday night.
It's a growing possibility that the city is to see it's second accumulation of a foot or more snow in just 5 days time! Our latest RPM model runs are headed in that direction; so's the Weather Service's high resolution 4km WRF, which performed to a tee on this past week's storm. I'm posting a set of accumulation forecasts, the first our 4km RPM model's 36 hr fcst through 6pm Sunday; the next the RPM 12km resolution snow fcst the next 72 hours and the 3rd the latest 4km NWS WRF model.

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

From Skilling on FB.

Good Saturday all! We have quite a weather situation ahead of us! Based on everything we can see at this point, the Chicago area is on the verge of a bit of weather history--and dangerous weather history at that. The onset of the area's second snowstorm in less than a week is just hours away--a snow to occur with wind and lake-enhancement--and a snow which is to be followed by a record cold blast, the likes of which we've not seen for 2 decades! Temps will sink sub-zero Sunday evening and won't break above 0 until sometime Tuesday night.
It's a growing possibility that the city is to see it's second accumulation of a foot or more snow in just 5 days time! Our latest RPM model runs are headed in that direction; so's the Weather Service's high resolution 4km WRF, which performed to a tee on this past week's storm. I'm posting a set of accumulation forecasts, the first our 4km RPM model's 36 hr fcst through 6pm Sunday; the next the RPM 12km resolution snow fcst the next 72 hours and the 3rd the latest 4km NWS WRF model.

1526374_10152081991276760_666495889_n.pn

1492594_10152081991671760_1133039139_o.p

Wow. Really unexpected. This storm is going to be a nail biter. Would you bet on the Canadian and NAM vs. the GFS and Euro?

It depends. The upper air temperatures remain below freezing on most of the models, its the SFC temperatures that are the issue. Maybe we can work in some low level cooling given our snow cover. Away from the Lake, 401 and north, has the best chance of staying all snow atm. It'll be wet snow btw. 

Wow. Really unexpected. This storm is going to be a nail biter. Would you bet on the Canadian and NAM vs. the GFS and Euro?

I'm still going with 6-7" for YYZ

The inconsistency of the Canadian's track makes me not buy it. Way too NW. It's also way too cold for rain. Upper levels are not going to be above +2C for SURE. NAM and GEM are crazy.

GFS has been pretty decent.

I don't even know why anyone bothers listening to the NAM unless it's 12 hours out.

It depends. The upper air temperatures remain below freezing on most of the models, its the SFC temperatures that are the issue. Maybe we can work in some low level cooling given our snow cover. Away from the Lake, 401 and north, has the best chance of staying all snow atm. It'll be wet snow btw. 

The stage seems set for a Battle of the Model Titans!

I'm still going with 7" for YYZ

The inconsistency of the Canadian's track makes me not buy it. Way too NW. It's also way too cold for rain. Upper levels are not going to be above +2C for SURE. NAM is crazy.

GFS has been pretty decent.

I don't even know why anyone bothers listening to the NAM unless it's 12 hours out.

I hope you're right.

Wrong thread, I know, but do you still think YYZ can hit -15 F this week?

Archived