Newest Member
    Gonzalo00
January 3-6th Winter Storm Part 2

Chicago Storm

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I hope you're right.

Wrong thread, I know, but do you still think YYZ can hit -15 F this week?

It's a close one. I wouldn't be surprised if we get massively snubbed with QPF on this one. I do fear it will end up drier than what is modelled and we'll end up with 3-4" of snow.

If this happens, not so sure. We really need the fresh snow to hit -15F. My guess is we will probably be close to the cold temps we just saw.

The temperatures are everything like the Ice storm. Half a degree makes a big difference as to what precip you see. In this case, 850's remain cooler than the SFC. 

I just don't buy these warmer solutions right now.

Look at the current obs right now. YYZ is at 28F with a dew point of 13F. The dew point has not risen very much. Once moisture comes in the dew point is going to rise much faster and the surface temps are going to take a hit, especially when it starts to snow at a good clip. So I'm personally going to completely count out rain or rain/snow mix, I think it's a ludicrous model output given how cold we've been and how cold we'll be following the passage of this low. Now, ratios could be an issue if we have a mild mid-layer. I'm hopeful we won't, but it's a tough call.

I think there will be some surprises with this system. I think the one surprise a lot of us might see is that the low won't be as strong as modelled and I fear that the system has such a short time to tap into the Gulf for moisture that QPF totals may be really disappointing. That's my biggest fear right now as opposed to p-types. I'm not worried about p-types at all. I think that will be the other surprise: most people who are modelled to see rain will see snow.

About 0.5" down so far here. 

Advisories spread into WI.

...WINTER WEATHER ADVISORY IN EFFECT UNTIL 6 PM CST SUNDAY......WIND CHILL WARNING REMAINS IN EFFECT FROM 6 PM SUNDAY TO NOONCST TUESDAY...THE NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE IN MILWAUKEE/SULLIVAN HAS ISSUED AWINTER WEATHER ADVISORY FOR SNOW...WHICH IS IN EFFECT UNTIL 6 PMCST SUNDAY. A WIND CHILL WARNING REMAINS IN EFFECT FROM 6 PMSUNDAY TO NOON CST TUESDAY.* TIMING...SNOW WILL PERSIST TODAY THROUGH SUNDAY...POSSIBLY  TAPERING OFF LATER THIS AFTERNOON AND EVENING BEFORE PICKING  BACK UP LATE TONIGHT INTO SUNDAY. WIND CHILLS WILL STEADILY  DECLINE TO AROUND 20 BELOW LATE SUNDAY AFTERNOON. MINIMUM WIND  CHILL VALUES OF 40 TO 50 BELOW ARE EXPECTED BY EARLY MONDAY  MORNING AND AGAIN TUESDAY MORNING.* SNOW ACCUMULATION...3 TO 5 INCHES THROUGH THE END OF THE DAY ON  SUNDAY. HIGHEST AMOUNTS ALONG THE WI/IL BORDER IN KENOSHA  COUNTY...LOWER AMOUNTS TO THE NORTH.* WINDS...SOUTHWEST WINDS 15 TO 20 MPH...DIMINISHING THIS  AFTERNOON AND SHIFTING TO NORTHWEST 10 TO 15 MPH BY LATE  AFTERNOON. THAT WIND SHIFT WILL MARK THE PASSAGE OF THE COLD  FRONT.* WIND CHILL IMPACTS...WILL CAUSE FROST BITE ON EXPOSED SKIN IN  A SHORT PERIOD OF TIME. HYPOTHERMIA OR DEATH ARE POSSIBLE IF  PRECAUTIONS ARE NOT TAKEN.

Archived