Newest Member
    Gonzalo00
January 3-6th Winter Storm Part 2

Chicago Storm

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Cross-posting a post I did from our STL forums:

I'm done dissecting the 12Z NAM BUFKIT profile and perusing the other models to ensure consistency.

The first panel here is BUFKIT output for late tomorrow morning on the NAM. On the right is the forecast skew-T and omega profile (increments of 5 microbar/sec) and on the left is RH with theta-e (equivalent potential temperature) superimposed so we can diagnose saturated theta-e (generally RH >80%). Note that the theta-e surfaces in the green go vertical for quite some time tomorrow morning. This indicates weak to moist neutral vertical stability. The omega profile certainly shows strong upward vertical motion.

BUFKIT12Z04JANNAM_zpsc1682d14.png

Note the nearly unidirectional, decently sheared flow in the mid-levels. So, we do have a case for possible CSI. I don't have access to absolute angular momentum plots that I can use to compare to the saturated theta-e surfaces, but I can still use absolute vorticity charts to give me a good idea. I would need an area of weak absolute vorticity to line up with the conditions outlined above. So, do I have it? Yep:

12Z Sunday
NAMPSU12Z500mbvortframe1_zps4ff8886b.png

18Z Sunday
NAMPSU12Z500mbvortframe2_zps7cf108de.png

These two panels clearly show an area of weak absolute vorticity moving over the area between 12Z and 18Z Sunday. This is backed up by quite a few other model runs as well. So, it appears I have all of the necessary conditions in place. But, let's do a sanity check and make sure this matches up with what's going on upstairs at 300mb and 500mb:

300mb winds - 15Z Sunday
300mb12zNAM04JAN_zps909278ab.png

500mb winds - 15Z Sunday
500mbNAM12Z04Jan_zpscbc83899.png

Check and check. We seem to be parked underneath the entrance region of an slightly anti-cyclonically curved jet at 300mb and the exit region of a strengthening cyclonically curved mid-and-upper level jet streak (centered over OK/AR at this time). Great jet coupling going on, so I know the lower-level depiction of strong UVV is probably spot on. The entrance region of an anti-cylonically curved jet also lets me know that CSI is possible.

All-in-all, this seems to be a great candidate for CSI-enhanced banding. With the inrush of very cold air at the low levels after 12Z (to the point of developing a second ice crystal growth zone in the low levels after 15Z), we will see snow ratios skyrocket after this time, probably peaking towards the end of the maximum forcing.

The interesting thing is, even though a dry slot cuts in after 18-21Z above 600mb, mid to low level temps become perfect for dendrites, allowing us to hold on to a light fluffy snow well into the afternoon.

STL to CMI looks most likely

Essentially this. CSI looks more prevalent on the STL side. Strictly speaking, you need about 5 m/s of upward motion to get lightning, CSI generally doesn't get quite that strong, though in this case it's very borderline between CSI (slantwise) and upright, so you may end up seeing a few strikes.

Posted a little about this last night but the rapid, extreme temperature drop (temps well below zero) behind this thing is quite something.  I've been looking through the records and I've only found a couple similar events around here over the past 100+ years and they were like 100 years ago.  A snow of this magnitude with an immediate temperature drop of this magnitude may be a once or twice in a lifetime thing around here.

Posted a little about this last night but the rapid, extreme temperature drop (temps well below zero) behind this thing is quite something.  I've been looking through the records and I've only found a couple similar events around here over the past 100+ years and they were like 100 years ago.  A snow of this magnitude with an immediate temperature drop of this magnitude may be a once or twice in a lifetime thing around here.

There is going to be some MAJOR drifting with this.

Was it 94 when we got the 15" or so of snow and temps dropped into the -30's?  Don't know if you guys had the same.

all those writing is on the wall posts earlier had me fooled :)

enjoy your big dog.

game time in a couple. hope we finally beat down psu.

I'm not 100% confident mind you, but I like it right now. I'm sleep deprived...pre-storm jitters in anticipation I guess. If I say something crazy, just ignore me. ;)

Was it 94 when we got the 15" or so of snow and temps dropped into the -30's?  Don't know if you guys had the same.

We didn't get big snows with that here.  Besides, the temp drop took longer/was not as extreme.  We are talking about going from heavy snow to perhaps 15 below zero or colder in a matter of several hours.

We didn't get big snows with that here.  Besides, the temp drop took longer/was not as extreme.  We are talking about going from heavy snow to perhaps 15 below zero or colder in a matter of several hours.

I was just thinking it may have taken a day or two for the cold to settle in.  Long time ago.

Little sidebar note...the near freezing temps combined with wind friction has created a thin layer of crust to the 9-12" snowpack IMBY....on one hand this helps to keep the previous fallen fluff from blowing too much...but on the other hand will aid in any new fluff to blow and drift even easier as friction will be greatly depleted by the new smoother surfaces...

FWIW

Archived