joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Biggest Storm of 2014 Nowcast/Obs/Disco

Bob Chill

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Image swath this afternoon from MODIS/Terra was perfect for our area.  Here's a clipped version of the 250m resolution image of the DC area.  Love the streamers coming off of the Chesapeake and Delaware Bays.  Links to the full rez complete 250m and 500m images are below the pic.

attachicon.gifTerra 03jan13 250m DC.png

http://rapidfire.sci.gsfc.nasa.gov/cgi-bin/imagery/single.cgi?image=crefl1_143.A2014003155500-2014003160000.250m.jpg

http://rapidfire.sci.gsfc.nasa.gov/cgi-bin/imagery/single.cgi?image=crefl1_143.A2014003155500-2014003160000.500m.jpg

WOW! Thanks for the links. Really an incredible shot.

We are pretty far south.  Sun is powerful even when weak.. west/southwest facing places are noticeably melting off around here while others are fairly glacial.  My place is optimal because it has windows east and west but my "front yard" faces east with walls blocking the sun most of the day in winter.  so i've got glacial.  It's damn cold.

Shoveling the powder this morning was easy. It's pretty cold tho, 21 degrees with a zero dewpoint and north winds to 25 mph. Really refreshing. It DOES snow in northern Virginia after all lol. There was an icy layer on the driveway and walk that I couldn't scrape off with my construction grade shovel. It looks great out there with temps only near 20. The surface albedo is pretty high so that sun cant do sh!t today. Look out for Sunday tho.

I think most of what is being perceived as melting is just compaction. The last few inches we all received were really light and fluffy and are just compacting down. Go outside, there is no water dripping or running at least around here.

What I've seen is definitely melting or a mirage.  It's all generally in areas that had lighter cover from trees, obstructions etc, with something dark nearby that's obviously above freezing from the sunlight.  There would be a lot fewer icicles of things didn't melt with air temps below freezing. 

What I've seen is definitely melting or a mirage. It's all generally in areas that had lighter cover from trees, obstructions etc, with something dark nearby that's obviously above freezing from the sunlight. There would be a lot fewer icicles of things didn't melt with air temps below freezing.

Freaking DC. I just drove around and there is melting on black plowed asphalt but not much else. Icicles on houses I don't count because they are heated by the furnace in the house.

Whatever ice was left on my driveway and sidewalk after I shoveled this morning has melted. The melting I spoke of this morning when it was 13 degrees was on the car as I shoveled. Stuff melted today on certain surfaces...it just did..sorry

I found a commuter lot in Dale City that had sheets of ice on it. I slid around on it just like a small kid. Man I LOVE winter so much! It was bracing cold this morning with 14 degrees then we had a nice refreshing high of 21. Now it is 16. I want those single digits so bad.

Archived