joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Biggest Storm of 2014 Nowcast/Obs/Disco

Bob Chill

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Very nice pic!  I always like how snow collects on stuff like that (before the wind).  I got 4" in Silver Spring.  Will post some pictures later when I get a chance.

That's quite a lot of work toting a tripod around like that, but not much choice with longer shutter speeds.  I should have taken mine out but opted not to and went hand-held.  Used my 50mm 1.4 lens at first, but near wide open the depth of field gets tricky and in difficult conditions like that you get camera shake anyhow sometimes (it's far better for indoor lighting & portraits I think).  Resorted to being "lazy" and using image stabilized standard kit lens in the end (which did a pretty good job)!

Yeah, I've done that before with my 50mm but always end up wishing I was not lazy afterwards.  I don't take all that many night shots (full dark at least, lots of dusk)... and with no on board flash.. tripod pretty much necessary for a lot of shots unless I just want to hang out under a streetlamp.  It can be done though... just more restricting.  I figure since it never snows I might as well be diligent. Might have stayed out longer but had to edit CWG forecast for today so 12:30 was about my limit. ;)  Of course some random terrible generic Natl Mall shot will get a lot more interest but I'm building a good "real DC" portfolio at this pt.  I may head down there later too.. might have gone last night if I knew how much they got for sure.  Never know with the lowlands. :P

Awesome picture, Ian.  I'd enjoy seeing them all.  And I've yet to find an affordable tripod that's easy to tote.

I'll get some more posted soon.. maybe. I'm pretty bad with that. ;) 

Slik makes cheap/lightish stuff. I've used them all along. Might not be sturdy enough for hurricane force winds but works fine.

Ha!  That's what I use.A Slik u5550.  I didn't really shop for it, but just picked it up in a national park visitor center because my old cheap one broke and I needed something immediately.  Pretty light and fine for what I use it for.

I got myself a relatively cheapie Manfrotto MK-394H, about $100.  It's nothing great compared to pro gear, but it's pretty decent and stable for an SLR with a telephoto zoom.  I don't use a tripod that often (mostly for long exposure at night or moon shots).  Not necessarily the most portable but folds up pretty well and is fairly light.

DCA definitely got measurable after midnight. Those bands were low ratio fluff and dca got at least 2 of them. Obs guy was must have been napping. 

2 closest reports to me are 4.9 and 4.2. I'm in ne rockville close to norbeck. Norbeck spotter went 4.9. I think I'll go 4.5 and call it a day. I conservatively went 4.25 last night but what the heck. Another .25 can't be questioned so I'm scoring it. 

In old town, i cleaned my steps before heading to bed around 11:30.  When I awoke this morning they had snow on them, but not sure how measurable it was. had to imagine it would have been at least .1 though.  Only explanation is that wind impacted the ability to measure and then compaction hurt the total?

Yeah, I've done that before with my 50mm but always end up wishing I was not lazy afterwards.  I don't take all that many night shots (full dark at least, lots of dusk)... and with no on board flash.. tripod pretty much necessary for a lot of shots unless I just want to hang out under a streetlamp.  It can be done though... just more restricting.  I figure since it never snows I might as well be diligent. Might have stayed out longer but had to edit CWG forecast for today so 12:30 was about my limit. ;)  Of course some random terrible generic Natl Mall shot will get a lot more interest but I'm building a good "real DC" portfolio at this pt.  I may head down there later too.. might have gone last night if I knew how much they got for sure.  Never know with the lowlands. :P

If you've got a Canon, they make a nice, cheap speedlite (I think it's the 270ex ii).  I got one even though I've got on-board flash, since it's a lot stronger and somewhat more versatile.  Nikkon probably makes a similar one.  I actually used the flash a couple of times last night, though normally when it's snowing the flash just reflects off the flakes which can be a cool effect!

I like the 50mm lens, and love how it can open to f1.4, but yeah, for this kind of situation (weather/snow) it's not the best sometimes.  You've got to stop down somewhat anyhow to get more depth else your entire image is fuzzy except for a small area.  I use it (and an 85/1.8...great lens!) for more indoor stuff and lower light sports events, among other things.  The kit lens actually does pretty well and has lens stabilization (fixed lenses don't typically).  In hindsight I should have grabbed the tripod but I just wanted to get out there and it was packed away somewhere anyhow!

If you've got a Canon, they make a nice, cheap speedlite (I think it's the 270ex ii).  I got one even though I've got on-board flash, since it's a lot stronger and somewhat more versatile.  Nikkon probably makes a similar one.  I actually used the flash a couple of times last night, though normally when it's snowing the flash just reflects off the flakes which can be a cool effect!

I like the 50mm lens, and love how it can open to f1.4, but yeah, for this kind of situation (weather/snow) it's not the best sometimes.  You've got to stop down somewhat anyhow to get more depth else your entire image is fuzzy except for a small area.  I use it (and an 85/1.8...great lens!) for more indoor stuff and lower light sports events, among other things.  The kit lens actually does pretty well and has lens stabilization (fixed lenses don't typically).  In hindsight I should have grabbed the tripod but I just wanted to get out there and it was packed away somewhere anyhow!

I have a speedlight, even had it on me, but never brought it out.  I don't like using flash much unless I have to.  I guess I should get into using on off body flash etc.. they are more flattering setups.  It was snowing much of the time I was out which makes it trickier. Finally stopped toward the end. After my camera went thru the derecho in my hands and survived I'm not too worried about it being wet but the lens gets wet etc which adds time putting the camera away and such.  At least it wasn't super drippy like most storms are lately. 

I do like the 50mm but rarely use it.  95% of my shots are with the Tamron 28-300.. cheap lens but hard to pass up the range.

Another I just added to flickr

11732669203_249a93a55e_h.jpg

http://www.flickr.com/photos/ianlivingston/11732669203/

How much did you get?. I measured every 15 minutes since the start of the storm until it was over and i got 7.3" but i seem to be higher than everyone else. I know i did not measure wrong as i measure in 6 spots every time. 

You could be right.  I didn't measure very often and when I did, there were a few spots close to 7", but one or two under 6".  I went with 6" because it was indisputable.  There's a spotter from Pimlico that usually has pretty much the same amount as me in each storm, but he/she reported 5" this morning.  He's probably closer in proximity to me than I am to you, so maybe we are all dead on.  I wouldn't worry about it.

You could be right.  I didn't measure very often and when I did, there were a few spots close to 7", but one or two under 6".  I went with 6" because it was indisputable.  There's a spotter from Pimlico that usually has pretty much the same amount as me in each storm, but he/she reported 5" this morning.  He's probably closer in proximity to me than I am to you, so maybe we are all dead on.  I wouldn't worry about it.

Ok because i was worrying i was turning into slantstick Bob.

Regardless of dc's f'd up measuring skills, the streak is over. DC proper got 2"+. We avoided a hall of shame 3 year anniv. 

It's such a stupid argument. I have people I trust who have reported 1" just south of DCA and 1.25" in Crystal City.  I think there have been times when the observers probably fooked up at DCA but more often than not the number there is pretty similar to surrounds and into the main downtown area. 

Maybe if it was at Tenleytown or the Observatory or the Zoo it would be more representative of where a lot of people inside the Beltway live, but it would not be representative of downtown, and perhaps SE as well as other locations near the river etc. 

Who thinks BWI is representative of downtown Baltimore? Most stations have plenty of issues.

Damn, Ian.  That's my favorite.

Thanks. I had a good shoot even though I don't usually like shooting after black skies. If the winds die down I'll probably hit the Capitol Reflecting Pool for the generic shot this eve. ;)

Eh, i would rather have a property like that and when you have some extra money start fixing it up. 

exactly our thought -- not to go too OT but there was a house across the street for sale, a little cheaper than what we paid, but it had no fence or pool, but the inside was nicer. So we took the more expensive house with the fence/pool and larger plot and will update the house as we go. Will probably be cheaper, AND pay off in the long run. A fence and pool adds no value to the house, but doing improvements inside will.

I have a speedlight, even had it on me, but never brought it out.  I don't like using flash much unless I have to.  I guess I should get into using on off body flash etc.. they are more flattering setups.  It was snowing much of the time I was out which makes it trickier. Finally stopped toward the end. After my camera went thru the derecho in my hands and survived I'm not too worried about it being wet but the lens gets wet etc which adds time putting the camera away and such.  At least it wasn't super drippy like most storms are lately. 

I do like the 50mm but rarely use it.  95% of my shots are with the Tamron 28-300.. cheap lens but hard to pass up the range.

11732669203_249a93a55e_h.jpg

Great shot Ian.

Damn, that's quite a nice range, 28-300!!  Yeah, can't pass that up even if it is cheap!  (EDIT:  thought I heard at least some Tamron lenses are a pretty good 3rd party alternative).

Great pic again, by the way.  I agree on using flash while it's snowing, makes things trickier.  Actually, I rarely use flash anyhow, preferring natural lighting.  One of the hardest thing I've found is snow getting on the lens, and trying to keep the water droplets off it while photographing, but usually it doesn't do much.  Debated carrying an umbrella while wandering around, in fact!  It's drying the equipment off once I get back inside that takes some work as you allude to.  I hope to post a few pics of my own when I get a chance...

exactly our thought -- not to go too OT but there was a house across the street for sale, a little cheaper than what we paid, but it had no fence or pool, but the inside was nicer. So we took the more expensive house with the fence/pool and larger plot and will update the house as we go. Will probably be cheaper, AND pay off in the long run. A fence and pool adds no value to the house, but doing improvements inside will.

You definitely made the right move. I hope you only have luck and good times in your house.

Damn, that's quite a nice range, 28-300!!  Yeah, can't pass that up even if it is cheap!  (EDIT:  thought I heard at least some Tamron lenses are a pretty good 3rd party alternative).

Great pic again, by the way.  I agree on using flash while it's snowing, makes things trickier.  Actually, I rarely use flash anyhow, preferring natural lighting.  One of the hardest thing I've found is snow getting on the lens, and trying to keep the water droplets off it while photographing, but usually it doesn't do much.  Debated carrying an umbrella while wandering around, in fact!  It's drying the equipment off once I get back inside that takes some work as you allude to.  I hope to post a few pics of my own when I get a chance...

It's a good lens. I got my first SLR (film) in college baed on a buddy's suggestion and he pointed me to the Tamron as a cheap versatile option.  I broke the first and then bought another but with VR/IS... that one fell out of my bag while running through the derercho and I didn't realize till I was home. Thought it over a while on getting a faster lens with less range but ended up buying the VR/IS again.  I'm not good enough to tell why it's much or any worse than a higher end piece.  My Canon 17-40mm is softer on focus as far as I can tell.

thx again and to wxdude

Thanks. I had a good shoot even though I don't usually like shooting after black skies. If the winds die down I'll probably hit the Capitol Reflecting Pool for the generic shot this eve. ;)

I look forward to seeing any of those shots.  Your city pictures are always great. 

I just posted in the banter thread about wondering if we shouldn't  have a MA Winter Photos thread here in our subforum.

Archived