joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
01/02/14 to 01/03/14 Snow Storm Observations

WeatherFox

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

31 was probably your high at midnight. temps were always suppose to slowly drop during the day

Actually, NAM and GFS have both been persistent in keeping 32 line very close or right over LI through the daylight hours.  Admittedly with a tight gradient, so north of the line could drop quickly, but even local forecasts have been calling for daytime temps a little above freezing.

Actually, NAM and GFS have both been persistent in keeping 32 line very close or right over LI through the daylight hours.  Admittedly with a tight gradient, so north of the line could drop quickly, but even local forecasts have been calling for daytime temps a little above freezing.

It's about 29 here in Long Beach, so I don't think we'll make it past 32 at this point.

Ok wifey said they were getting a mist in Marlboro, NJ. She said it was hurting her face too so I'm guessing it might be a freezing mist? ha ha ha

Yeah, I mentioned yesterday I was very concerned about FZDZ, JFK is reporting it now, its common to get it in these Miller B scenarios in between the NRN wave and the developing coastal, we had it with the 1/26/04 storm and it caused some major problems on the roads that evening before the snow moved in.  The late January 2011 storm also had a period of freezing drizzle between the morning overrunning snow and overnight coastal.

Per OKX Facebook page:

"12:19 pm update: While we await the widespread snowfall later this afternoon and evening, we wanted to mention that our 7 am weather balloon launch observed winds of 179 kt, or 209 mph, at 38,400 ft. These strong winds are apart of the strong jet stream that is helping to promote the development of the winter storm."

Met - Mike Masco:

He's had 6-10 inches for our area before saying this.

**AFTERNOON FORECAST THOUGHTS**
- Short range dynamic models trend snowier (sees high ratios)
- Temperatures MUCH COLDER today than modeled for afternoon highs/ cooling process will be easy to achieve even in the warm(er) bay communities
-COLD AIR IS RAPIDLY MOVING IN!!!!
-PRESSURE IS FALLING CLOSER TO THE COAST vs FURTHER AWAY = more phasing vs progressive system
BUST POTENTIAL possible for higher end snow totals.

Yeah, I mentioned yesterday I was very concerned about FZDZ, JFK is reporting it now, its common to get it in these Miller B scenarios in between the NRN wave and the developing coastal, we had it with the 1/26/04 storm and it caused some major problems on the roads that evening before the snow moved in.  The late January 2011 storm also had a period of freezing drizzle between the morning overrunning snow and overnight coastal.

We're having some light freezing drizzle here now. The roads and sidewalks are still mostly okay, we had a light dusting of snow as well.

Archived