Newest Member
    Gonzalo00
Early January 2014 cold snaps - featuring the polar vortex of doom

Ian

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

sun is down. I lost one degree in an hour. Break out the beer kegs 

dewpoint is in free fall, but the temp is stuck at 29  :axe: it is mostly cloudy, that might keep us in the 20s all night  :axe:  :axe:

the "arctic front" crossed the CWA this morning. now it is 615pm - still no wind gusts to 45. this milquetoast "arctic front" is dead.

Fire up the bus Randy, we're going to Buffalo!

...BLIZZARD WARNING IN EFFECT UNTIL 6 AM EST WEDNESDAY......WIND CHILL WARNING REMAINS IN EFFECT UNTIL 6 PM EST TUESDAY...THE NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE IN BUFFALO HAS ISSUED A BLIZZARDWARNING...WHICH IS IN EFFECT UNTIL 6 AM EST WEDNESDAY.* LOCATIONS...NORTHERN ERIE AND GENESEE COUNTIES...ESPECIALLY  SOUTH OF BUFFALO AND BATAVIA.* TIMING...THROUGH LATE TUESDAY NIGHT.* HAZARDS...BLIZZARD CONDITIONS FROM LAKE EFFECT SNOW AND BLOWING  SNOW.* SNOW ACCUMULATIONS...6 TO 12 INCHES TONIGHT...9 TO 17 INCHES  TUESDAY...AND 1 TO 3 INCHES TUESDAY NIGHT...LEADING TO STORM  TOTALS OF MORE THAN 3 FEET IN THE MOST PERSISTENT LAKE SNOWS.* WINDS...SOUTHWEST 20 TO 30 MPH...GUSTS TO 45 MPH.* VISIBILITIES...NEAR ZERO IN WHITEOUT CONDITIONS AT TIMES.* WIND CHILL VALUES...AS LOW AS 30 BELOW.

If we can hold the current temp drop rate we can get into the teens by midnight but surely there will be one hour where it goes nowhere or rises to 40.

DC should be in the teens by midnight. I'm down to 24 and dropping steady. UHI shouldn't be a major deal with this kind of advection.

I'll be pissed if they don't hit it though. My only interest in this is a high in the teens. It can torch after that. 

DC should be in the teens by midnight. I'm down to 24 and dropping steady. UHI shouldn't be a major deal with this kind of advection.

I'll be pissed if they don't hit it though. My only interest in this is a high in the teens. It can torch after that. 

All the weatherbug obs are mid 20s now in the city. This could be a big hour for DCA.. 31 or bust.

Fire up the bus Randy, we're going to Buffalo!

...BLIZZARD WARNING IN EFFECT UNTIL 6 AM EST WEDNESDAY......WIND CHILL WARNING REMAINS IN EFFECT UNTIL 6 PM EST TUESDAY...THE NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE IN BUFFALO HAS ISSUED A BLIZZARDWARNING...WHICH IS IN EFFECT UNTIL 6 AM EST WEDNESDAY.* LOCATIONS...NORTHERN ERIE AND GENESEE COUNTIES...ESPECIALLY  SOUTH OF BUFFALO AND BATAVIA.* TIMING...THROUGH LATE TUESDAY NIGHT.* HAZARDS...BLIZZARD CONDITIONS FROM LAKE EFFECT SNOW AND BLOWING  SNOW.* SNOW ACCUMULATIONS...6 TO 12 INCHES TONIGHT...9 TO 17 INCHES  TUESDAY...AND 1 TO 3 INCHES TUESDAY NIGHT...LEADING TO STORM  TOTALS OF MORE THAN 3 FEET IN THE MOST PERSISTENT LAKE SNOWS.* WINDS...SOUTHWEST 20 TO 30 MPH...GUSTS TO 45 MPH.* VISIBILITIES...NEAR ZERO IN WHITEOUT CONDITIONS AT TIMES.* WIND CHILL VALUES...AS LOW AS 30 BELOW.

I wonder what it would be like to have winds from the SW and be in a blizzard.

12 degree drop seems pretty reasonable between now and midnight given the uniform cold west even inside the beltway and city lines. 

12 degrees isn't enough. If that's all we get I will jump off the top of my building. It's probably not tall enough to kill me unfortunately.

Archived