Gonzalo00
    Newest Member
    Gonzalo00
Big Snow threat, what will it do, part II

Typhoon Tip

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Will, any thought of a secondary sf maxima on the east slopes of the ORH hills with that easterly inflow?

http://www.weather.com/news/weather-winter/winter-storm-hercules-forecast-20131231

What a Flipping BS Hype Machine.  For YEARS since I was a kid the Weather Channel was The Single Most Conservative source there was.  Even remember 1-3 24 hours before Dec. 9th, 2005 specifically.  

But Big blobs of 12-18????  And the random one in Worcester?  These guys have turned into "Total Whores" as our good friend _ _ _ _  _ _ _ _ _  says.    

Not without merit.

18" is high, but someone will get 15-16" imo....se of Boston. Scooter or Messenger imo.

One of the bizarre things I see with any of the maps posted is they always have these ranges that have the low end of one range picking up from the high end of the last.   Obviously, there's an area between those that can easiliy fall within either range.  Makes it a lot more reasonable,(and I think realstic) for example, to have a map with arange that goes 3-5 that borders one that goes 4-8 that borders one that goes 6-10.

One of the bizarre things I see with any of the maps posted is they always have these ranges that have the low end of one range picking up from the high end of the last.   Obviously, there's an area between those that can easiliy fall within either range.  Makes it a lot more reasonable,(and I think realstic) for example, to have a map with arange that goes 3-5 that borders one that goes 4-8 that borders one that goes 6-10.

I agree in the light to moderate events, but the larger ones often lack a highly a uniform snowfall distribution due to banding, and other mesoscale features.

Congrats Scooter south..enjoy it..Knee to weenie deep depending on age and length

•    
    **BIG SNOW WINNER SE MASS/ BOS** the ENE track of the Low & prolong NE winds & Comma head precip leads to think SE mass 18" + possible

I went with an upper limit of 15" there....contemplated 16", but I'd like to see one more trend before dropping an 18-bomb.

I'm definitely really liking eastern Mass, with another jackpot on the east slopes of the Berks from long duration upslope flow. The best snow growth may be the low level stuff like OES and upslope under the mid level forcing. I could see areas with a low level lift mechanism getting dendrites amid a more synoptic mix of columns, plates, and bullets.

Today's a good example up here of cold surface temps and crappy ratios...been snowing lightly for a few hours at like 9 degrees and we are getting bullets and small columns that is like baking powder. Dense arctic snow.

Archived