• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    12bet1 net
    Newest Member
    12bet1 net
Big Snow threat, what will it do, part II

Typhoon Tip

can anyone please explain to me why there is that donut hole on the h7 RH maps (translating down to the surface)???

Looking at the h5, I would think there would be a low getting ready to deepen close to the coast

That is not uncommon during Miller-Bs.   The way it works is, the primary and its supportive dynamics has an enhanced RH field associated with it, but as it nears the Mt.s and/or dammed air, the surface circulation gets "stuck" so to speak, and that cuts into saturation because of limiting some of the UVM.  The supportive dynamics then abandons the primary, and the 2ndary is actually a new low (in essence it really is a misnomer to think of it as a transfer -- nothing is really being transfered).  Anyway the new low and mechanic go to work and saturate the column farther E.  So what you end up in total is saturation with the primary, a "humidity jump" it is sometimes referred, then a new region of saturation with the 2ndary.    

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Barry seems to have a better understanding of OE enhancement. The other two seem clueless

Your absolutely right.  With such a cold airmass and a NE wind the southshore should have a max area with ocean enhancement.  Barry shows that well on his maps.  Other guys ignore this important fact.  Im going to miss Barry and Harvey when they retire, the last of the great mets!

That is not uncommon during Miller-Bs.   The way it works is, the primary and its supportive dynamics has an enhanced RH field associated with it, but as it nears the Mt.s and/or dammed air, the surface circulation gets "stuck" so to speak, and that cuts into saturation because of limiting some of the UVM.  The supportive dynamics then abandons the primary, and the 2ndary is actually a new low (in essence it really is a misnomer to think of it as a transfer -- nothing is really being transfered).  Anyway the new low and mechanic go to work and saturate the column farther E.  So what you end up in total is saturation with the primary, a "humidity jump" it is sometimes referred, then a new region of saturation with the 2ndary.    

Its pretty darn unusual however to see it where it is in this case, the vast majority of your Miller B screw zones occur over the DC region, maybe S PA and sometimes we'll see it in CPA or EPA but its fairly unusual at least off memory to see a Miller B that screws NYC totally which is what the NAM had been trying to do before its 18z run, the only instances I recall where that region has been shafted in Miller Bs is usually when they are too warm and the inland low is too late to transfer, but this case is not really why the NAM was showing that.

It evens off a bit at the end of the run haha. Light snows still going across E coastal mass and the Cape

That snowfall distribution has similarities to Dec 1995, no? I always thought that was a good analog here

edit: on second glance of h5 maps...that one has a closed off center at h5

That snowfall distribution has similarities to Dec 1995, no? I always thought that was a good analog here

edit: on second glance of h5 maps...that one has a closed off center at h5

Its popping onto some of the CIPS analogs, it had the funky situation with the vort at 500 lagging way behind the surface low which gave some areas 4-5 inches of snow on the backend.

Its pretty darn unusual however to see it where it is in this case, the vast majority of your Miller B screw zones occur over the DC region, maybe S PA and sometimes we'll see it in CPA or EPA but its fairly unusual at least off memory to see a Miller B that screws NYC totally which is what the NAM had been trying to do before its 18z run, the only instances I recall where that region has been shafted in Miller Bs is usually when they are too warm and the inland low is too late to transfer, but this case is not really why the NAM was showing that.

That, and if they are just too late t develop (Miller B-East), which is admittedly relatively rare.

2 different things going on. You have the initial overrunning from I90 through New England...then the developing secondary off the SE coast.

If the overrunning works out I wonder if we see two jackpot areas - one in N MA/SNH and one South Shore down to the Cape.

I'm counting on the overrunning out here.  Unless this ends up being much more amped and tied tight, GC is fringed on the coastal.

I share the concern Mitch expressed (I think Mitch said it) about the overrunning--hoping that the moisture for that doesn't get robbed the developing low leaving this area in the midst of a 7-10 split.  But, in my new world, I'm just going to enjoy whatever I might eek out.

Temp is climbing a fair bit out here in GC.  Up 4.5* since 5:00p.m. to 19.5*. Just had a strong burst of north wind about 15 minutes ago---reenforcing shot of cool air incoming methinks.

Yeah, I think the climo on that is a bit farther S than NYC.  I actually didn't look to closely as to exactly where it is doing that, but when the poster asked it seemed like a smoking gun for that whole humidity leap scenario.  

seriously forky. it's so close to being something much more potent/significant.

I remember models overemphasizing the lead vort/wave too much before, especially 12/19/09 and then coming around in the end. I think we'll see a better reflection near the coast if the good 500mb pattern keeps up.

Archived