• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    northernriwx
    Newest Member
    northernriwx
Emerging signal for storminess Jan 6-8

Typhoon Tip

Fascinated by this one.  Just a bomb out in the Midwest.  Blizzard. 

Looks like it.  Probably will frustrate the grandkids in Illinois, however, by being too cold for them to go out and play in it, particularly a day or two after the storm.  Closer to home, this looks like a fine opportunity for fractured elbows and shoulders after the (probably) snowless refreeze.

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Snowpack isn't getting wiped out at all in this one...unless maybe you were an area that got like 4"...and even then that might not go. This isn't a 24 hour period of 50/50 snow eating weather....there's some CAD on the front end, and then maybe like 6 hours (at most) of 45-50F temps and the cold front swings through...very sharply I might add. Flash freeze isn't out of the question

I know it ... 

I had a feeling I would encounter a knee-jerk, "woe is me" tonality to posting in this thread when I opened it.  Maybe it is just so many years, too many years (probably) of involvement with the boards that lent to that prediction.  Either way ... one thing I have found is that when a storm such as this last one ends, there's like a combination of greed with panic regarding whatever the weather may have in store.  The storm raises the odd kind of crack obsession with snow to a fever pitch, and then immediately the person then gets paranoid that the pattern is out to take their fix away - haha.  

Guys, you just snorted about a kilo of coke last night.  Good grief.  Lighten up.  

I mean, I just read a post where the individual opined about bitter cold, then a rain event, followed by bitter cold.   I'm sorry, that's bordering on crazy talk to just somehow omit the fact that we got a powder storm that dreams are more typically challenged to reach.   We are above normal in snow fall for the season, pretty much rim to rim. And below normal in cold.    Getting a couple of warm slices of time in this whole thing is entirely understandable for the science, and in fact, one could argue that without them, there is lesser likelihood of snow overall.  Why?  because there's no restoring of the pattern, where/when getting back to cold requires snow storms... ding ding ding.  

It's probably futile to even confront the matter... A lot of common clay users just are not privy enough about the science and combined, have unrealistic expectations that cannot seem to be penetrated with logic.  

I agree with Will -- this event is going to do very little damage to snow pack.  It's moving too fast, and there are lead side details that will cut into the amount of time, or even ability, for warmth to get to the surface.  The ocean is even a factor now, because it is so cold (colder than normal in fact), that it will cause inversion and ... the list just goes on.

I know it ... 

I had a feeling I would encounter a knee-jerk, "woe is me" tonality to posting in this thread when I opened it.  Maybe it is just so many years, too many years (probably) of involvement with the boards that lent to that prediction.  Either way ... one thing I have found is that when a storm such as this last one ends, there's like a combination of greed with panic regarding whatever the weather may have in store.  The storm raises the odd kind of crack obsession with snow to a fever pitch, and then immediately the person then gets paranoid that the pattern is out to take their fix away - haha.  

Guys, you just snorted about a kilo of coke last night.  Good grief.  Lighten up.  

I mean, I just read a post where the individual opined about bitter cold, then a rain event, followed by bitter cold.   I'm sorry, that's bordering on crazy talk to just somehow omit the fact that we got a powder storm that dreams are more typically challenged to reach.   We are above normal in snow fall for the season, pretty much rim to rim. And below normal in cold.    Getting a couple of warm slices of time in this whole thing is entirely understandable for the science, and in fact, one could argue that without them, there is lesser likelihood of snow overall.  Why?  because there's no restoring of the pattern, where/when getting back to cold requires snow storms... ding ding ding.  

It's probably futile to even confront the matter... A lot of common clay users just are not privy enough about the science and combined, have unrealistic expectations that cannot seem to be penetrate with logic.  

I agree with Will -- this event is going to do very little damage to snow pack.  It's moving too fast, and there are lead side details that will cut into the amount of time, or even ability, for warmth to get to the surface.  The ocean is even a factor now, because it is so cold (colder than normal in fact), that it will cause inversion and ... the list just goes on.

I would be worried about snowpack for the lower south shore and especially the Cape. Metro BOS should have snow left, and certainly the interior

Hmm. After a second look yeah, it is a short period of potential warmth. But it could be hours in the 50s for PYM and the Cape

Well, My reference was more for up here with that, We should hang on to the cold a little longer, Plus i have an arctic icepack from the ice storm so i see very little ill effect coming out of this one, I think most down there should make it thru to, We are not talking a long period of torch temps

The interior (esp north of the pike) may get very little damage overall...we'll see. The models are starting to "see" the CAD a bit better and it could take most of the event to truly warm sector at the surface. Even above freezing if its a 35-36F and rain, that won't do much damage, you really need at least 38F or higher at saturation.

I know lol..... I was referencing the cold but obviously the snow also.

Actually, it's pretty remarkable from a science standpoint. Ice cold to rain to ice cold

I wish there was more adherence to this perspective on matters ...  but we put our dreams away.

Yeah, it's pretty amazing to see this air mass today, and spanning 72 hours all the changes that will go on aloft.  I am just not sure a lot of that will register down here at the surface.   This thing is moving so fast, that even if warm air managed to cut deep into the interior (which I have my doubts) it's just not going to be around that long.  

Tediously studying the details of the pressure patter (isobaric layout) on the GGEM, GFS, ..ECM, I see a potential for a triple point to develop near south coast.  There is a fairly pronounced CAD signature in the GGEM, that even shows up vaguely in the GFS.  The Euro oddly has less...But, given to climo (time of year) and the antecedent air mass, it seems that there should be at least some boundary layer inhibition.   

Then, ...by the time the atmosphere works all that out, that is one helluva sharp cold fropa... I mean, there's like 5 thickness contours packed into the distance between ALB-BOS!  The 850 thermal jolt is on the order of +7 to -10C in just 6 hours.   

The interior (esp north of the pike) may get very little damage overall...we'll see. The models are starting to "see" the CAD a bit better and it could take most of the event to truly warm sector at the surface. Even above freezing if its a 35-36F and rain, that won't do much damage, you really need at least 38F or higher at saturation.

I think you're pretty much spot on ... If there is any CAD that verifies, the speed of the system overall will likely over run it.  CAD takes time to remove once its established; hence, forcing triple points and so far.  

I think you're pretty much spot on ... If there is any CAD that verifies, the speed of the system overall will likely over run it.  CAD takes time to remove once its established; hence, forcing triple points and so far.  

haha you guys in the interior are justified in being not worried. This will melt a lot of snow on the coast, particularly eastern PYM county and the Cape. Not all 15 inches, but several of that.

That is what I was thinking, going to have to be a pretty warm to scour the cold from the surface; does ice become an issue or is it limited?

Looking at the basic 1000-500 + surface maps of the GFS it seems like I can make out a damming signature and evidence of where a triple point would be. This from a model that usually does worse with that kind of thing.

I wish there was more adherence to this perspective on matters ...  but we put our dreams away.

Yeah, it's pretty amazing to see this air mass today, and spanning 72 hours all the changes that will go on aloft.  I am just not sure a lot of that will register down here at the surface.   This thing is moving so fast, that even if warm air managed to cut deep into the interior (which I have my doubts) it's just not going to be around that long.  

Tediously studying the details of the pressure patter (isobaric layout) on the GGEM, GFS, ..ECM, I see a potential for a triple point to develop near south coast.  There is a fairly pronounced CAD signature in the GGEM, that even shows up vaguely in the GFS.  The Euro oddly has less...But, given to climo (time of year) and the antecedent air mass, it seems that there should be at least some boundary layer inhibition.   

Then, ...by the time the atmosphere works all that out, that is one helluva sharp cold fropa... I mean, there's like 5 thickness contours packed into the distance between ALB-BOS!  The 850 thermal jolt is on the order of +7 to -10C in just 6 hours.   

Almost worthy of starting a new thread for this... 

The Euro and GGEM have very interesting patterns for next week, post the big SPV lifting out.  That action alleviates a good bit of the incredible gradient and anomalously fast, compressed flow that has plagued the air ways since .... wow, going back a ways.   The new paradigm that emerges, ... however long it stays notwithstanding, is a relaxed one that features weaker waves having the mechanical power to develop events. 

Namely at 120-144 hours already and the Euro has a -10C from ORD to BOS, and along that axis, there is also a polar boundary with nondescript wave of low pressure out around Mich/Ohio... Meanwhile, the 700mb level RH has gone nearly saturated, and so has the 850mb... That all maintains through 168 hours when a wave of low pressure finally gets organized and moves S of Long Long... Basically, a long duration light/moderate winter event.

I am in such a great spot for CAD.  So many times up here in the Plymouth NH area we stay below freezing while everyone warms up around us.  I have seen many times the max is right after the fropa as the air mixes out. That seems not to be this case as the fropa is so sharp.  The pines in the hollows are really maxed right now with the 8" of wet snow from the first storm and then 10" of powder from yesterday.  Rain or freezing rain will not be good.  Wonder if we hold on to freezing or below with the cutter???

The Euro and GGEM have very interesting patterns for next week, post the big SPV lifting out.  That action alleviates a good bit of the incredible gradient and anomalously fast, compressed flow that has plagued the air ways since .... wow, going back a ways.   The new paradigm that emerges, ... however long it stays notwithstanding, is a relaxed one that features weaker waves having the mechanical power to develop events. 

Namely at 120-144 hours already and the Euro has a -10C from ORD to BOS, and along that axis, there is also a polar boundary with nondescript wave of low pressure out around Mich/Ohio... Meanwhile, the 700mb level RH has gone nearly saturated, and so has the 850mb... That all maintains through 168 hours when a wave of low pressure finally gets organized and moves S of Long Long... Basically, a long duration light/moderate winter event.

Flow looks really progressive on the GFS still.  I hope the fast flow does slow down per the Euro.

Sounds like one of the typical Winter 94 events...

haha you guys in the interior are justified in being not worried. This will melt a lot of snow on the coast, particularly eastern PYM county and the Cape. Not all 15 inches, but several of that.

I agree briefly that the srn burbs may be cooler at first, but it won't last at all.

However, this will hav some CAD with it for the interior.

I am in such a great spot for CAD.  So many times up here in the Plymouth NH area we stay below freezing while everyone warms up around us.  I have seen many times the max is right after the fropa as the air mixes out. That seems not to be this case as the fropa is so sharp.  The pines in the hollows are really maxed right now with the 8" of wet snow from the first storm and then 10" of powder from yesterday.  Rain or freezing rain will not be good.  Wonder if we hold on to freezing or below with the cutter???

You/we could also CAD and keep it 36F, too -- we're not necessarily implicating "freezing" per se.

Archived