northernriwx
    Newest Member
    northernriwx
Emerging signal for storminess Jan 6-8

Typhoon Tip

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Awful just awful for BTV (and we are already have already been left out of the big ticket snows this year so far)

HIS WESTERN TRACK NOW FAVORED BY ALL MODELS...AND SEEMS
REASONABLE GIVEN THE POSITION OF THE LARGE UPPER LOW/TROUGH ALONG
WITH INDICATIONS THAT THE UPPER TROUGH WILL TAKE ON A NEGATIVE
TILT FOR A TIME SUNDAY NIGHT INTO MONDAY MORNING. GIVEN THE
PROJECTED LOW TRACK AND DEEP SOUTHERLY FLOW ACROSS THE FORECAST AREA
SUNDAY NIGHT INTO MONDAY MORNING...LOOK FOR PRECIPITATION TYPE TO BE
AN ISSUE WITH THIS STORM. TEMP PROFILES SUGGEST A PROLONGED PERIOD
OF MIXED PRECIPITATION...TRANSITIONING IN MOST OF THE AREA FROM
SNOW/SLEET TO RAIN...WITH A PERIOD FREEZING RAIN POSSIBLE. AS LOW
LIFTS OUT TO OUR NORTH-NORTHEAST DURING MONDAY...PRECIPITATION
CHANGES BACK TO SNOW BEFORE TAPERING TO SNOW SHOWERS.

Looks like a 12 hr mild up for my area on gfs 2m temps like 9z to 21z is 40-46/47 w temps low -mid 30's on either side of that.

Doesnt look that bad , areas that had snow cover in essex county prior will def keep it, and i think many other areas keep some of there's, this sand consistency snow should get to be 1-2 of glacier i think

Snowpack isn't getting wiped out at all in this one...unless maybe you were an area that got like 4"...and even then that might not go. This isn't a 24 hour period of 50/50 snow eating weather....there's some CAD on the front end, and then maybe like 6 hours (at most) of 45-50F temps and the cold front swings through...very sharply I might add. Flash freeze isn't out of the question

Snowpack isn't getting wiped out at all in this one...unless maybe you were an area that got like 4"...and even then that might not go. This isn't a 24 hour period of 50/50 snow eating weather....there's some CAD on the front end, and then maybe like 6 hours (at most) of 45-50F temps and the cold front swings through...very sharply I might add. Flash freeze isn't out of the question

Think there's any chance of the "this never works out" couple inches on the back end?

4.1/-3

Think there's any chance of the "this never works out" couple inches on the back end?

4.1/-3

A couple inches? I doubt it. Some guidance is trying to flip us over to snow right as it ends, but nothing more than a coating and maybe flash freeze...and even then, not all guidance shows this.

And I always say this, but the North Shore will torch worse than metro BOS with a SE flow, but they have more snow on the ground, so the point is moot.

You always think that..LOL. SE winds furnace everyone on this setup not in the interior. There may be some CAD though just inland.

A couple inches? I doubt it. Some guidance is trying to flip us over to snow right as it ends, but nothing more than a coating and maybe flash freeze...and even then, not all guidance shows this.

And that's why I said "it never happens".  But, hope always springs eternal.  End result will be s special weather statement warning of black ice.  Big whoop.

Some of the interior may start as a period of ZR Sunday evening.

BOX has been hitting a mix pretty hard in the forecast out here once this event got into range (actually, they had started as all snow a few days ago).  I'll keep hoping for cooler rain out here, though i guess I'll be getting more of it further west so likely a wash.  No pun intended.

You always think that..LOL. SE winds furnace everyone on this setup not in the interior. There may be some CAD though just inland.

After living here for years, the southern suburbs of BOS hold out on the furnace for the longest time on a SE wind given similar mid levels (Versus downtown BOS, Cambridge, and even the eastern half of Essex Cnty). Even areas up on 95 in Essex county torch faster than here on a SE wind. I'm not saying I won't torch, it just takes longer here. I'm 20-25 miles from the ocean on a SE trajectory. Watch

Meh maybe salem, Lynn and Marblehead but i dont know that they will be any warmer than bos.

Pay attention to the mesos. You would be surprised how the cold hangs on a bit longer in areas like Milton Braintree and even Quincy versus even BOS and especially north/NE of there with a SE component to the wind. It's an interesting little feature of this area, usually doesn't mean much, but can sometimes slightly help a bit in snow retention versus the N shore and further down the south shore.

I'll be honest. This one is going to hurt for a lot of people including myself. A rain event sandwhiched in between two incredibly cold shots if air, that's a real bummer

What ?   what are you talking about -- we just had a solid snow storm last night; aren't you forgetting something. 

Pay attention to the mesos. You would be surprised how the cold hangs on a bit longer in areas like Milton Braintree and even Quincy versus even BOS and especially north/NE of there with a SE component to the wind. It's an interesting little feature of this area, usually doesn't mean much, but can sometimes slightly help a bit in snow retention versus the N shore and further down the south shore.

Def not shocked if Milton/ Braintree are cooler than Lynn in se flow.

East of me by a cpl miles route 1 seems to be a cut off for a few r/s events up this way ...with e flow and also with early warming on se flow.

Also Water temps are pretty chilly now. So that makes the marine temp impact a bit less i would think

Def not shocked if Milton/ Braintree are cooler than Lynn in se flow.

East of me by a cpl miles route 1 seems to be a cut off for a few r/s events up this way ...with e flow and also with early warming on se flow.

Also Water temps are pretty chilly now. So that makes the marine temp impact a bit less i would think

That's true. Plus they got a bit more snow (I think) on the N shore. So the end result is moot. But the CP in essex county usually up to at least Topsfield gets flooded with marine air before I do in this setup.

Archived