• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    amirah5
    Newest Member
    amirah5
January 2/3 Event - Disco., Nowcasting, and Obs.

wxmeddler

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

They were calling for 6-12" in Baltimore all along because they thought the Miller B would be far enough south to do that....there was sunshine through clouds in the early morning...looked like it would be a bust after about 2" had fallen the night before....then ominous dark clouds descended from that "weird" north/northeast direction and the fun was on....heavy heavy snow with very high winds probably in the 35-50 mph range.

I recall Accuwx saying a couple days before on WCAO that it could be an inch or up to a foot

apparently the 1 model they had back then was pretty hung ho but mets were pretty gun shy to go with it if memory serves

What a crazy strom for our area. The evolution of the storm sounds like a once in a lifetime event.

What a crazy strom for our area. The evolution of the storm sounds like a once in a lifetime event.

Definitely one of the most memorable for me because of the dynamics and how it came together...certainly not the deepest, foot in Balto where I lived but noteworthy drifting...temps were cold once the snow got going too...fell into low 20s then teens later in the day.

All the models are depicting a snowfall gradient (NOT amounts--- just the gradient) very similar to 2/78 for I-95. That would have been a heart-breaker for DC to track, but Baltimore northeastward, and even DC's northern and northeastern suburbs experienced a completely different storm. And as you headed northeastward, each city got somewhat more than the previous city, ending with the Boston jackpot. 

Good catch, albeit with differences.  Back then, we were in El nino with (-)NAO and currently were are nino-neutral and NAO neutral.

Additionally, back then the Canadian high pressure was intensely stronger and there was a nice 500 mb ridge in the west.

The general idea is good with BWI to Elkton doing markedly better than DCA and RI/east Massachusetts getting the pot of gold.

There is really no beating around the bush...It is a stellar run....biggest impediments are temps and how quickly we changeover/go below freezing...and the worry that it totally over amplifies

Precip distribution gives me a boost of confidence. It's not localized. Just orderly steps up from w-e. I think I'm around .35 or so. Nice to see .4 almost run i95.

Archived