• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    e46ds1x
    Newest Member
    e46ds1x
January 2/3 Event - Disco., Nowcasting, and Obs.

wxmeddler

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'd like to think in this case the GFS is struggling a bit. The RGEM is not that impossible. Its QPF is hard to believe, but cut it by a third or half and it still makes many happy.

lol the rgem might be worse than the NAM.

Masco's map isn't too bad .. though I'd lean low still, not sure about the sw bend west of here either but climo.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/Bc500gbCcAAXMuI.jpg:large

Not a bad map at all. I know for DC this storm sucks but for me the worst model gives me almost 2" and the Goofus gives me 3". I would lock this solution now and be happier than a pig in mud.

sorry new here but could you explain that graph in laymans terms a little, i'm north of you a little north of Baltimore,,, much appreciated

Sandy

Hi Sandy -

It's a graphical depiction of the latest short range forecast models, in this case showing modeled snowfall, with the black line representing the mean value. Here's BWI output...take it with a giant grain of salt, as accuracy and verification of the srefs do not always translate to the sensible weather.

Not a bad map at all. I know for DC this storm sucks but for me the worst model gives me almost 2" and the Goofus gives me 3". I would lock this solution now and be happier than a pig in mud.

Yep, storms like this are a good example of how Baltimore tends to do a bit better than DC in a Miller B.

Ian, you must have gotten a lot of jade this Christmas?

No more than usual. I know you and a few others will hug the snowiest solution until it's partly cloudy so there's gotta be some balance.

I've said all along these situations are often considerably better starting in the Balt to PHL corridor and even better NE of there. 

BUT I think you want as much juice as possible on the good models to feel good as losing a tenth or two (or more) liquid shouldn't be surprising in the end.  These things often develop slower than modeled.

No more than usual. I know you and others will hug the snowiest solution until it's partly cloudy so there's gotta be some balance.

I've said all along these situations are often considerably better starting in the Balt to PHL corridor and even better NE of there. 

BUT I think you want as much juice as possible on the good models to feel good as losing a tenth or two (or more) liquid shouldn't be surprising in the end.  These things often develop slower than modeled.

If the Euro would bump to .25-.35 across the area that would be huge and lend some credence to these other model solutions. We both know it won't do that, though.

Based on the h5 depiction. I'm not a big fan of what it does with the coastal low, and its relation to where that southern convection is. It also is dry to the west which could be the case but there just isn't a lot of agreement.

this is such a tired logic -- as if the two aren't connected -- it's intellectually lazy and shows a complete lack of even a basic understanding of NWP

Well I am in Cecil County Colora nowhere near Elkton about 540 feet elevation NW up near PA Line

and in December about 16 inches so I say bring another 8 thursday night. Yes Elkton does get

the shaft many times I will get 6 or more inches and a thirty min drive down

to Elkton a slushy inch.........

If the Euro would bump to .25-.35 across the area that would be huge and lend some credence to these other model solutions. We both know it won't do that, though.

I do think overall the "trends" (not sure there is such a thing) are better this morning. The Euro is probably still going to be like a desert though. If I lived where you do I'd probably feel decent about getting the ground whitened at least. 

Archived