amirah5
    Newest Member
    amirah5
Pre-Christmas Winter Storm Potential

Chicago Storm

• Replies 985
  • Created
  • Last Reply

FWIW the 18z NAM has a stronger and further south high in the nrn plains at 84hr compared to the GFS and the NAM doesn't have the wave as far off the coast either. 

Wish I could see some anomaly maps for this.  Notice the 850 mb 0C line making a run for central Baja

post-14-0-70516200-1387230761_thumb.gif

The 12Z ECMWF has much of this precip falling when thicknesses are above 5400m. The line goes above Detroit and is very near Chicago in these forecast time frames.  That would mean sleet, freezing rain, or rain for Detroit, close call for Chicago.

attachicon.gif2013_12_16_12z_ECMWF_144hr.png

attachicon.gif2013_12_16_12z_ECMWF_150hr.png

Party pooper...  :snowing:

Just checking in to read this thread and say wow to the possibility of either two feet of snow or significant ice or rain in Michiana as models will vacillate.  Yes, it will be interesting to see if the GFS follows suit with the king in time, but right now all I can realistically say is wow and expect that someone somewhere may get an epic storm.

As we get closer it's gonna be interesting to study some of the soundings and try to figure out just how much of an ice threat there will be.  Could end up with just a wide corridor of primarily pingers, with little glazing depending on how the temp profiles work out.  With such deep moisture feeding into this thing a devastating ice storm is definitely possible if the right temp profiles can setup and maintain in a given area. 

The 12Z ECMWF has much of this precip falling when thicknesses are above 5400m. The line goes above Detroit and is very near Chicago in these forecast time frames.  That would mean sleet, freezing rain, or rain for Detroit, close call for Chicago.

attachicon.gif2013_12_16_12z_ECMWF_144hr.png

attachicon.gif2013_12_16_12z_ECMWF_150hr.png

Not to overstep my bounds or come across as a know-it-all (as you're the Meteorologist), but I recall several significant snowfalls in Detroit where the 540m (1000mb-500mb) thickness line was over/north of Detroit. The dominant precipitation type in each of these events was snow as well. 

*12/19/2008

*02/20/2011

*02/06/2008

Just as well, I recall numerous instances where Detroit saw mixing issues despite the 540m line being south of the city

*1/1/2008

*2/21/2012

My point is, from what I gathered, the most critical line of thicknesses when determining precipitation types for places such as Detroit is the 1300m line (1000mb-850mb). 

wow maybe not much, but for once I'm in a part of one bulleye lol

the bulls eye a week out, not usually the best place to be :D

I'd like a good system snow!

Um.... NO.

You have enough snow on the ground and on the way already.

We get the system. I bet Detroit gets 18 inches and I get like 8 inches. Typical outcome here.... I would like to see a rain snow line right on the Detroit river, sorry Josh.

Not to overstep my bounds or come across as a know-it-all (as you're the Meteorologist), but I recall several significant snowfalls in Detroit where the 540m (1000mb-500mb) thickness line was over/north of Detroit. The dominant precipitation type in each of these events was snow as well. 

My point is, from what I gathered, the most critical line of thicknesses when determining precipitation types for places such as Detroit is the 1300m line (1000mb-850mb). 

Yes, of course, the 5400 meters is just a rough guideline, and the temperatures below 10000 feet matter the most. You can (if you want to) access the GFS forecast soundings, but not ECMWF. None of these things will be 100% accurate at 144 hours, so I was just trying to give my two cents.

*edit*

out here in the Rocky Mountains, we just don't care about 1000-500 thickness. Rain never falls in December through February. Sleet is almost unheard of. We have had one or two instances of freezing drizzle in a few years.

The track on the EURO reminds me of the FEB 6th 2008 storm. Any thoughts?

That is exactly what it looks like, and these 2 systems do have some similarities to them. Both of their parent vorts dove down into Mexico before lifting out. Both lows tracked into IN before lifting ENE. Both had initial waves a couple days previous. Both have big time severe potentials (that one was the Super Tuesday Outbreak).

Archived