northernriwx
    Newest Member
    northernriwx
Pre-Christmas Winter Storm Potential

Chicago Storm

• Replies 985
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Just saw 132 hours...it has the surface low near the OH/PA border.  Lots of precip but probably not a ton of snow.

Reasons why it is so hard for me to take anything serious beyond 120hrs on the models. Yes a storm does look to happen but shifts that can be a make or break deal are still very possible. Ofcourse now we are reaching that point of 120hrs.. The next day or two should be telling unless it gets pushed back.

WPC pitches the 00Z GFS into the trash....

MODEL DIAGNOSTIC DISCUSSION
NWS WEATHER PREDICTION CENTER COLLEGE PARK MD
1120 PM EST MON DEC 16 2013

VALID DEC 17/0000 UTC THRU DEC 20/1200 UTC

TROUGH MOVING ACROSS THE WEST TOWARDS THE PLAINS
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
PREFERENCE:  NON-GFS COMPROMISE
CONFIDENCE:  ABOVE AVERAGE

DUE TO VERY STRONG RIDGING ACROSS THE EASTERN PACIFIC, ENERGY
DROPS SOUTH THROUGH THE WEST WITH MUCH OF IT MANIFESTED INTO A
CLOSED CYCLONE MOVING BY SOUTHERN CALIFORNIA LATE THURSDAY.  THE
00Z GFS IS THE QUICKEST TO PROGRESS THIS ENERGY EASTWARD INTO THE
SOUTHWEST, WHICH DESPITE THE NORTHERN STREAM PORTION OF THE TROUGH
MOVING INTO THE NORTHERN PLAINS, APPEARS ERRANT AS THIS CLOSED LOW
SHOULD REMAIN A SEPARATE FEATURE FOR 2-3 DAYS.  THERE IS NO
OBVIOUS UPSTREAM KICKER TO BOOT, SO PREFER THE SLOWER NON-GFS
GUIDANCE WITH ABOVE AVERAGE CONFIDENCE CONSIDERING THE AMPLIFIED
NATURE OF THE FLOW IN THIS REGION.

So far (at 5 days out) all signs point to either a miss, or a sloppy mix  for NE IL.

TV mets putting snow in the forecast for Sat night/Sun, and talking about it mostly staying south. Other than that, it still bears watching.  There are a few solutions on the table, it's just a matter of waiting to see which one comes to fruition.

If I made a call, it would be pessimistic at this time, so I shall refrain.  Just chalk it up to my mood. 

So they like the EURO I'm assuming.

well, thus far they are just saying NON GFS....so a blend of the rest.....but this is not their final evaluation yet for the evening....euro typically does better with the speed of these SW closed lows and when they start to roll out....we'll see what they say once all is said and done with the rest of the models tonight

It's not much but the 0z GFS did go to the Euro with a tad stronger high (1034mb) over nrn plains/MN and it reflects in the 850mb temps and how far south better cold air gets.

It did. Problem is that with its faster solution the high pressure is 12 hours late or so getting to the party to feed the cold air.

If I had to guess, the low will pass through Indianapolis then near Detroit. Slow down and amp up the GFS a bit and there she is.

You think slowing down would mean it would trend NW?  A poster on another forum (one that shall not be named :popcorn: ) commented that the slower solutions would likely be suppressed in future runs due to the high taking precedence.  It makes sense unless the high doesn't budge in as quickly in future runs.

Archived