gopenoxfox
    Newest Member
    gopenoxfox
Pre-Christmas Winter Storm Potential

Chicago Storm

• Replies 985
  • Created
  • Last Reply

GFS verbatim has good defo axis/fgen and large scale lift over northern IL into early Sunday so it would be a mix to snow north of I80 with that solution despite marginal thermal profile. But the lack of cold air compared to the Euro is concerning for any shifts farther nw.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

which is still overdone given the 850s shown, especially on the southern edge. We really need to cool it with the wxbell stuff.

Anyways, getting caught up on this thread.

-I still think the GFS is struggling with the ejection of the baja sw and subsequent plains cyclogenesis. That said, the baroclinic zone over the southern plains / arkaltex isn't the best so maybe it's onto something.

-I think QPF on the Euro is being overdone and by a pretty large amount. The baja/gulf moisture connection is solid but SW/WSW vectors at 700/850 ahead of the low I just don't see that much moisture being pulled back into the cold sector. I think a much more realistic situation with this setup would be a much more thin stripe of 6-10" along the northern edge of what's currently being shown on the wxbell weenie maps.  Of course this is all moot if it's able to close and wrap up better in the southern plains. EDIT: that said the support from the Euro ensembles for OP like QPF is noteworthy

-Thermals remain the biggest concern IMBY.

Euro has the 850 0C line pushing down south from Madison to Springfield before the event, and the 0C 2M line running from STL to DTW through entire event...the main slug of moisture only peaks north of that line for 6-12 hours, but overall SN north of the 0C line that hits Chicago runs from abt 120 to 144 hours on the Euro...

Hope it verifies!

First meltdown?

Yes.

I am emotionally overwrought, and I need to step away from the models.

My hands are shaking.

I was traumatized by last years "back loaded" winter.

I see isobars in my sleep, and mutter soundings to myself...... Even in public.  (Handcuffs are cold.  Padded cells?  Not so padded)

In all seriousness, when it comes to storms that appear marginal, like this one does to me, I tend to err on the downside, only because it works out that way quite a bit. 

So, to save my sanity, I am going to go blow up some tanks...I'll let the virtual battlefield frustrate me for an hour or so.... So, then I'll be good and frustrated, and when I am, I clean house better.... so the wife will be happy, and it all works out in the end.

Taking the 12z GEM precip typing algorithm verbatim paints an extremely scary scenario for two separate areas regarding significant icing.  The Quincy to Peoria area get 12hrs straight moderate to heavy freezing rain, while the Toronto areas get much the same.  Verbatim the QC would get 9-12hrs of sleet lol. 

WPC again says no thanks to the GFS...

MODEL DIAGNOSTIC DISCUSSION
NWS WEATHER PREDICTION CENTER COLLEGE PARK MD
1155 AM EST TUE DEC 17 2013

VALID DEC 17/1200 UTC THRU DEC 21/0000 UTC

...AN EVALUATION OF THE 12Z NAM/GFS ALONG WITH PRELIMINARY
PREFERENCES/FORECAST CONFIDENCE...

...CLOSED LOW DIGGING SOUTHWARD OVER SOUTHERN CA ON THURSDAY...
...SYSTEM EVENTUALLY REACHING THE NORTHERN GULF OF CA/SEA OF
CORTEZ BY FRIDAY EVENING...

PRELIMINARY PREFERENCE: BLEND OF THE 00Z ECMWF WITH THE 00Z ECMWF
ENSEMBLE/06Z GEFS MEANS
FORECAST CONFIDENCE: BELOW AVERAGE

SHORTWAVE ENERGY DIGGING SOUTHWARD ALONG THE WEST COAST WILL
EVENTUALLY EVOLVE INTO A CLOSED LOW BY LATE THURSDAY ACROSS THE
SOUTHERN CA COAST. THROUGH THIS PERIOD OF TIME...THE 00Z
ECMWF/UKMET ARE THE DEEPEST SOLUTIONS ALOFT BOTH SHOWING A 540-DM
HEIGHT CONTOUR IN THE VICINITY OF THE CATALINA ISLANDS. OVERALL
TRENDS IN THE GUIDANCE HAVE SHOWN SOME SLOWING RELATIVE TO THEIR
PREVIOUS RUNS. THE EXCEPTION IS THE 12Z GFS WHICH ACCELERATED
AHEAD OF ITS PRIOR CYCLE. MOST IMPORTANTLY...THE ENSEMBLE MEANS
HAVE EXHIBITED A SLOWING TREND...MOST NOTABLY THE ECMWF
ENSEMBLE/GEFS MEANS. GIVEN THE TENDENCY FOR MODELS TO ACCELERATE
THESE SYSTEMS TOO QUICKLY TO THE EAST...HAD PLANNED ON GOING WITH
THE SLOWER PIECES OF GUIDANCE. THIS FAVORS THE 00Z ECMWF ALONG
WITH THE 00Z ECMWF ENSEMBLE/06Z GEFS MEANS. DEFINITELY PLAN ON
STAYING AWAY FROM THE FASTER MODELS WHICH INCLUDES THE 12Z GFS AND
00Z UKMET.

So the GFS takes a step towards the Euro with strength/organization (at least above surface level), but the GGEM takes a step to the GFS with lack of cold air (now rain as opposed to the ice storm it was showing).

Maybe the Euro will complete the circle have an ice storm like the GGEM had been showing.

So the GFS takes a step towards the Euro with strength/organization (at least above surface level), but the GGEM takes a step to the GFS with lack of cold air (now rain as opposed to the ice storm it was showing).

Maybe the Euro will complete the circle have an ice storm like the GGEM had been showing.

I'm not sure how much if any of the cold air issues can be attributed to speed differences but it's worth watching.

Archived