amirah5
    Newest Member
    amirah5
Pre-Christmas Winter Storm Potential

Chicago Storm

• Replies 985
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It looked like it nudged north (especially the southern/eastern extent of snows) but i'm not seeing what you are. Either way, i'll be very surprised if 12z it isn't warmer for ORD.

WxBell snowmaps did have a sharper southern gradient to the snow maps but we all know how accurate those are. Track was the same for all intents and purposes.

It's not like we haven't seen the Euro hold on to its own idea when it was in strong disagreement with other models before though...

How could they exclude the FIM, DGEX, and experimental 384hr RAP from the disco??

:lmao:

it looks like no extra sampling flights or balloons for that matter over the next 72 hours....perhaps once energy moves on shore a little help???

NOUS42 KWNO 171413

ADMNFD

SENIOR DUTY METEOROLOGIST NWS ADMINISTRATIVE MESSAGE

NWS NCEP CENTRAL OPERATIONS COLLEGE PARK MD

1412Z TUE DEC 17 2013

THE 12Z NAM STARTED ON TIME.

12Z NAM RAOB RECAP...

76405/LAP - 10142; GROUND EQUIP PROBLEMS..

76256/GYM - 10142; GROUND EQUIP PROBLEMS..

70414/SYA - NOT AVAILABLE FOR THE NAM..

A CRITICAL WEATHER DAY IS NOT EXPECTED IN THE NEXT 3 DAYS.

SHRUELL/SDM/NCO/NCEP

Taking the 12z GEM precip typing algorithm verbatim paints an extremely scary scenario for two separate areas regarding significant icing. The Quincy to Peoria area get 12hrs straight moderate to heavy freezing rain, while the Toronto areas get much the same. Verbatim the QC would get 9-12hrs of sleet lol.

Sleet storm! Better than an ice storm.

850 temps, for Sunday, 12z

post-2790-0-36360400-1387301687_thumb.gi

Also, depicting the low, right overhead.  Gee, if that doesn't spell sloppy mess, I don't know what does.   So, precip type is going to be a big concern here.  Surface temps are marginal at 30-35, maybe higher, maybe lower, but this would be, at this point, one of those situations, if it verifies, where temps will fluctuate a degree or two on either side of freezing, and precipitation if it is all snow, will be heavy and wet, or will flip between snow, and snow/rain mix. .  the 850's are colder, over more of the NE IL area, so what that will spell is anyone's guess. 

Y'all need to chill.  Remember just 12 hours ago the models were locked onto a track that was farther south.

I'm still licking my wounds from Sunday's 12z run.    Now I'm rooting for this thing to go far enough nw so I can work in a game of golf and not waste those 60 degree temps....GGEM is almost there.

Archived