CHSVol
    Newest Member
    CHSVol
Dec 14/15 winter storm Obs

RUNNAWAYICEBERG

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

You New Englanders would appreciate this..Seems that parts of Central NJ have taken a chapter out of the old SE New England book this evening. Had a nice coastal front set up in se Monmouth county/Belmar area, and with the mixing line stalled there the last 1-2 hours it seems just north got some excellent enhancement.My dad just measured 5.5" in Holmdel, NJ off the board with +SN.

Anyhow, rates have yet to pick up here in Stamford but that will change soon. We're over 4" since 6AM.

I agree. Wind warning is asking a lot.

I was reading these posts and drafting up reasons why in my mind, then I read their reasoning ...and it was different than what I came up with.  They are going with easterly gradient against the retreating high ...type of thing.  Cold air, warm ocean....yeah, maybe.

But I see a low going from 1004 S of ISP, to 992mb leaving the region of Boston Light shortly after dawn, and thinking that would put a back-wash isallobaric pulse across the Cape and Island; and this could be augmented by the fact that CAA would slosh back post low center moving N.  

Different scenario but it reminds me a little of Dec 2005, but that event had a Fold phenomenon and I don't think this has the necessary mechanics to induce the stinger.  That would be a fun unexpected guest...

You New Englanders would appreciate this..Seems that parts of Central NJ have taken a chapter out of the old SE New England book this evening. Had a nice coastal front set up in se Monmouth county/Belmar area, and with the mixing line stalled there the last 1-2 hours it seems just north got some excellent enhancement.My dad just measured 5.5" in Holmdel, NJ off the board with +SN.

Anyhow, rates have yet to pick up here in Stamford but that will change soon. We're over 4" since 6AM.

Cool!

Good stuff, isn't it?

Nice--and congratulations.

Cool!

Good stuff, isn't it?

Good stuff indeed...It's usually a steady advancement of the mixing line down there instead of the stall, but I can think of a few storms where it set up shop briefly southeast of my area and likely lead to a little enhancement..your famous 12/9/05 event did that down there, and the evening of day 1 in your 1/22/05 blizzard when the mixing line got close to me..

How many will be in shock if dry slot cuts thru BOS at 8z and why

I mean not that its automatic but dont we say it happens all the time

I said even yesterday most of it is done before 09z near BOS. The heavier stuff that is.  The only reason that could change is the fact models show rain developing along the track of the low in a narrow band.

Archived