joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
December 13-14th Winter Storm Part 2

Chicago Storm

• Replies 606
  • Created
  • Last Reply

As the inversion heights continue to lower what was a single band has kind of spread out into weaker multibands. Rates are not as intense but it is spreading the wealth along the western shores Lk Ontario more. Oakville and Burlington should start getting back into the action shortly.

I've noticed snow rates have increased past 20 minutes in Hamilton.  Looks like more LE starting to head this way too.  Thx for explanation. I was wondering why the squall appeared to be spreading.

PIxel Dust basically...Well as the low approaches from the S, nears N Oh, hopefully the deeper moisture makes it into S/E Michigan. Based on radar returns we should get back in a moderate snowfall over the next couple hours. 

Don't think dry air is the problem. 18z RAP soundings show 80%+ relative humidity throughout the dendritic growth zone. Problem is there's bubkis in terms ascent forcing...no less than -5 ub/s. 

Earlier there was (slightly) stronger forcing, but it was above the best region for growth (as DTX predicted in their AFD yesterday)

IkcAd.jpg

5.0" at DTW thus far

NWUS53 KDTX 141807
LSRDTX

PRELIMINARY LOCAL STORM REPORT
NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE DETROIT/PONTIAC MI
107 PM EST SAT DEC 14 2013

..TIME... ...EVENT... ...CITY LOCATION... ...LAT.LON...
..DATE... ....MAG.... ..COUNTY LOCATION..ST.. ...SOURCE....
..REMARKS..

0100 PM SNOW ROMULUS 42.22N 83.37W
12/14/2013 M5.0 INCH WAYNE MI OFFICIAL NWS OBS

11 HOUR TOTAL AT DTW AIRPORT.

Very happy to have busted here. Still haven't measured but gotta say it looks between 4 and 5 inches. Definite win and happy for those who are also doing well.

I agee. Last night when the precipitation shield basically stopped around I-80, I thought we'd be lucky to get an inch or two. Glad I busted. Can't complain about December so far in these parts. 

Just shoveled off the drive, there's a good 4" here, very light and fine snow, thankfully. It's all covered again with 1/4" by the time I got it done. Drifts between the house and garage were pushing 7". Looks like we've still got a few more hours left, so I'd say around 6.5" IMBY when all is said and done.

Already 6"+ here, DTX ups the final totals again.

MIZ076-082-083-150500-
/O.CON.KDTX.WS.W.0003.000000T0000Z-131215T0500Z/
WAYNE-LENAWEE-MONROE-
INCLUDING THE CITIES OF...DETROIT...ADRIAN...MONROE
324 PM EST SAT DEC 14 2013

...WINTER STORM WARNING REMAINS IN EFFECT UNTIL MIDNIGHT EST
TONIGHT...

HAZARDOUS WEATHER...

* MODERATE SNOW...OCCASIONALY HEAVY AT TIMES...WILL CONTINUE TO FALL
LATE THIS AFTERNOON...QUICKLY TAPERING OFF THIS EVENING.

* TOTAL SNOWFALL OF 6 TO 9 INCHES IS EXPECTED...HIGHEST TOTALS
NEAR THE OHIO BORDER.

* NORTHEAST WINDS GUSTING AROUND 20 MPH WILL CAUSE SOME BLOWING
AND DRIFTING OF THE SNOW.

Although probably another inch fell since my last report...my measurements average out to 4.5 ... Temps hovering right at freezing started compacting things a bit at my house here...Still some light flurries here and there, but it looks like we are all done in my neck of the woods

bustolla for me....

What was your guesstimate?

Archived