• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
December 13-14th Winter Storm Part 2

Chicago Storm

Yess amazing rates. Looks beautiful outside. Heavier bands moving in and should continue for another 3-4 hours as SSC just mentioned. 

I just broke the 10cm (4") mark. Its too dark right now for a picture but I will take them tomorrow morning. 

AT THIS RATE YOU'LL END UP WITH MORE SNOW THAN DOWNTOWN TORONTO, BURLINGTON OR HAMILTON!

• Replies 606
  • Created
  • Last Reply

AT THIS RATE YOU'LL END UP WITH MORE SNOW THAN DOWNTOWN TORONTO, BURLINGTON OR HAMILTON!

Lmaooo, well its been snowing very heavily the last 2 hours and its piling up quick. All three of my measuring spots have the same number. Radar shows a well defined band just over my house. 

For the folks that got whiffed on the LES, this should be the most enjoyable part of the storm the next couple or 3 hours.

Yess amazing rates. Looks beautiful outside. Heavier bands moving in and should continue for another 3-4 hours as SSC just mentioned. 

I just broke the 10cm (4") mark. Its too dark right now for pictures but I will take them tomorrow morning. 

Snow is really coming down in north Scarborough!

Welp, unless this thing falls apart rapidly in the next little while, my 5-8" call for Toronto is going to bust low by a bit. Looks like a widespread 6-10" with some foot lollis by the lake.

It's been a long time since we had an over-performer like this.

It's been a great storm. Too bad you weren't here to experience it. Hopefully next storm comes when you're back in town.

Welp, unless this thing falls apart rapidly in the next little while, my 5-8" call for Toronto is going to bust low by a bit. Looks like a widespread 6-10" with some foot lollis by the lake.

It's been a long time since we had an over-performer like this.

I was just outside atm and its a winter wonderland outside. The winds are intense and its cold. -12.4C on my thermometer. 

Just measured 12.3cm, very intense band just moved over my area. Its moderately snowing now but it looks like another deformation band is on the doorstep. 

Complete white-out conditions again. Visibility down, temperatures steady around -12.2C (10F) at my house. 

Its piling up. I shall go measure in about 30 mins. 

If YYZ lowballs this....

Think you are going to see some issues with the snow reports from the airports. Was talking to an EC met and he said that the storm summary will likely feature a range for storm totals due to the issues of measuring in one specific location vs another. Have to wait and see though. Still ripping good here, wouldn't be surprised to pick up another 5cm before snow starts to taper. Pics to come, lots of pics and vid to edit.

Think you are going to see some issues with the snow reports from the airports. Was talking to an EC met and he said that the storm summary will likely feature a range for storm totals due to the issues of measuring in one specific location vs another. Have to wait and see though. Still ripping good here, wouldn't be surprised to pick up another 5cm before snow starts to taper. Pics to come, lots of pics and vid to edit.

Pearson uses a nipher gauge to measure snow so it usually is not representative of what actually fell. Snowstorms has a weird fixation regarding that.

Wow, that's surprising. Didn't you measure over 4" several hours ago? Combined with +SN in the intervening time you'd think it'd be more than that.

Good news is the heaviest synoptic snow is knocking on our doorsteps.

Yup. I was surprised too. Snow rates really dropped off rapidly though for about an hour. Very light. Seems to be more intense to the north, oddly enough.

Winds really kicking the snow around.

Well according to SSC, YYZ acquired new instruments back in the Summer and you can see the change if you go to the climate page. The instruments were effective back in mid June. 

The citynews met on twitter is apparently saying "unofficial reports of 6cm at YYZ" which is the lowest amongst any observations in the GTA. Considering it has been recording "Light snow" for the past 12-14 hours and "low visibility", 6cm is completely absurd. YYZ has been in an intense band for a while now, and I have a friend who is working there tonight and he's telling me about white out conditions currently.

Thanks.

Last report from Ann Arbor was 5.9" so right around a half-foot

Wow amazing. My area seems to be closing in on that. Not bad. Im sure you over-exceeded expectations. 

Well according to SSC, YYZ acquired new instruments back in the Summer and you can see the change if you go to the climate page. The instruments were effective back in mid June. 

The citynews met on twitter is apparently saying "unofficial reports of 6cm at YYZ" which is the lowest amongst any observations in the GTA. Considering it has been recording "Light snow" for the past 12-14 hours and "low visibility", 6cm is completely absurd. YYZ has been in an intense band for a while now, and I have a friend who is working there tonight and he's telling me about white out conditions currently.

Wow amazing. My area seems to be closing in on that. Not bad. Im sure you over-exceeded expectations. 

Do you know of a list? I haven't seen any summaries issued by EC.

Do you know of a list? I haven't seen any summaries issued by EC.

By observations i mean amateur observations, lol. And I haven't seen them release any reports. 

Based on the radar, theirs an intense band off the shore of Lake Ontario headed towards Toronto/Sauga/YYZ area. Its snowing moderately here. 

FWIW....from a forecasting and model discussion point of view on this particular system...after reviewing some of the data at 12Z 13DEC....it appears that even at that time...there still wasn't full sampling of the kicker vort coming into the west coast for the suite of 12Z model runs....this may have played a part in some of the smaller "surprises" that the models were missing

By observations i mean amateur observations, lol. And I haven't seen them release any reports. 

Based on the radar, theirs an intense band off the shore of Lake Ontario headed towards Toronto/Sauga/YYZ area. Its snowing moderately here. 

That's going to miss us to the SE. Looks like the absolute heaviest snow is about done with Toronto. We'll still have several hours though of "top up" lighter snow.

CYHM had 13cm as of late afternoon I believe, however at 7am they already had 8cm. I know that we received more than 5cm between 7am and 4pm. 

Archived