joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
December 13-14th Winter Storm Part 2

Chicago Storm

• Replies 606
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It seems strange to believe now that on Thursday I was worried about even cracking 4". Now it seems like for a lot of us that 8" is a lock given that there's more than 4" down already and the synoptic stuff has barely started.

Has the quality of the synoptic snow improved down there? If not, I wouldn't worry. Main show is this evening.

Give reports of 5-6" already, a lot of areas along the lakeshore from Toronto to Hamilton are probably going north of a foot.

I think you are right!  Burlington to Stoney Creek were to get what Toronto is getting.

Swear there is something to the ENE wind going down slope  the Oak Ridge moraine.

I think you are right!  Burlington to Stoney Creek were to get what Toronto is getting.

Swear there is something to the ENE wind going down slope  the Oak Ridge moraine.

Burlington is closing in on 25cm.  Hamilton closing in on 15.  I haven't heard widespread reports of 15-25 in TO.  Has it been pounding down there??  Radar doesn't indicate snow that heavy.  That will surprise a ton of people if TO is getting hammered like that.  Much more coming tonight too.

You definitely have snow covered roads on the SW metro.

loc14.jpg

Yeah its quite heavy out their. Too bad my area isnt in this band :( 

How much have you gotten so far? 

My mom in central Etobicoke estimates about 2" down. Sounds about right considering they've been fringed by the band all morning.

Sounds about right. YYZ was in the heart of the band considering its West of you. Traffic cameras, near rathburn and Dixon/401/427 all have whiteout conditions. 

Sounds about right. YYZ was in the heart of the band considering its West of you. Traffic cameras, near rathburn and Dixon/401/427 all have whiteout conditions. 

Bit too far north of it...

A bit over 3" (7-8 cm). Then there's the older snow underneath; probably another 2-3". Getting colder now.

I'll disagree. I don't think YYZ was ever in the heart of the band, although they probably were in a better position than my mom's house. So far visibility hasn't dropped below 1km at YYZ (in contrast to Toronto Island where it was 400m for a while).

Burlington is closing in on 25cm.  Hamilton closing in on 15.  I haven't heard widespread reports of 15-25 in TO.  Has it been pounding down there??  Radar doesn't indicate snow that heavy.  That will surprise a ton of people if TO is getting hammered like that.  Much more coming tonight too.

It is snow that heavy. As the inversion height drops the radar is overshooting the heavier returns. Look at the traffic cameras from Mississauga.

Bit too far north of it...

A bit over 3" (7-8 cm). Then there's the older snow underneath; probably another 2-3". Getting colder now.

Wow thats not bad. Must be a winter wonderland out there. ;) By the looks of it, your area overperformed did it not? 

I'll disagree. I don't think YYZ was ever in the heart of the band, although they probably were in a better position than my mom's house. So far visibility hasn't dropped below 1km at YYZ (in contrast to Toronto Island where it was 400m for a while).

True but YYZ should be around 2-3" thus far considering your Mom measured 2". Lets see what happens. Temperatures have also been colder than what they forecasted so snow ratios should be high once the storm moves in. 

It is snow that heavy. As the inversion height drops the radar is overshooting the heavier returns. Look at the traffic cameras from Mississauga.

Wow..fantastic!  Glad to hear the lake band still has good kick to it.  Hope it keeps cranking through the night.

I feel like dry air from the N/East (lakes) is being pulled into S/E Michigan...Fine/Sugary snow out there/ low rates... All the heavier bands last a very short amount of time, fizzle out...That's what happens when DTX issues a WSW, we were better off with a wwa LOL

We are doing just fine here in the warning area!

Wow thats not bad. Must be a winter wonderland out there. ;) By the looks of it, your area overperformed did it not? 

True but YYZ should be around 2-3" thus far considering your Mom measured 2". Lets see what happens. Temperatures have also been colder than what they forecasted so snow ratios should be high once the storm moves in. 

Are you certain they're not? When was that 2cm report taken? Sometimes people tweet observations that are hours old.

Best not to obsess about it.

Yeah a bit. 

It's not the deepest snow cover in mid December, but it sure beats the last two! Will get some pics later when I go out.

That being said I'm still happy with this event. 5" looks like a lock.

Flake size small here in Royal Oak. Maybe 3.5 on the ground. Will be interesting to see how the rest of the event plays out concerning flake size and duration.

PIxel Dust basically...Well as the low approaches from the S, nears N Oh, hopefully the deeper moisture makes it into S/E Michigan. Based on radar returns we should get back in a moderate snowfall over the next couple hours. 

Are you certain they're not? When was that 2cm report taken? Sometimes people tweet observations that are hours old.

Best not to obsess about it.

I believe the tweet was around 11pm, lol. So its been almost 3 hours.  So by now it would have accumulated more.  

It stopped snowing in my area about an hour ago. 

http://www.mto.gov.on.ca/english/traveller/compass/camera/camhome1.shtml

Cameras looking directly at YYZ, lol. 

Yeah a bit. 

It's not the deepest snow cover in mid December, but it sure beats the last two! Will get some pics later when I go out.

That would be wonderful :) Stay safe! :) 

And yeah it beats the last two any day. Certainly well deserved! Should get a quick 1-2" Monday-Tuesday with the clipper. 

Archived