joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
December 13-14th Winter Storm Part 2

Chicago Storm

• Replies 606
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Had to show up for what hopefully isn't the biggest event of the season for LAF. And had to try to cheer up Jim in Kokomo. :D

Nice swirly returns to the south of IND on radar right now. This thing is a bit stronger than modeled. If temps weren't so crappy, we really would've raked here.

Yes, these heavier 40-50 dbZ returns are ice chunks, rain and freezing rain. We've had between 1.5" and 2" south of Ind, were forecasted 5-7". Ain't happening this time.

Yes, these heavier 40-50 dbZ returns are ice chunks, rain and freezing rain. We've had between 1.5" and 2" south of Ind, were forecasted 5-7". Ain't happening this time.

Unfortunately not, but thanks for the report. I was wondering what was going on down there under those returns.

Complete snow squall here now. Radar seems to be intensifying as the band orients its fire hose directly at the GTA.

:facepalm: EC right now.

Yeah, it's pretty bad. I had no problem with them excluding Toronto and southern Peel yesterday because there was more consensus that Hamilton-Halton was going to be ground zero. But now, even if the band does move south this afternoon, add in the synoptic and at the damage has been done.

Yeah, it's pretty bad. I had no problem with them excluding Toronto and southern Peel yesterday because there was more consensus that Hamilton-Halton was going to be ground zero. But now, even if the band does move south this afternoon, add in the synoptic and at the damage has been done.

I'm surprised at how north this band has reached, the Euro did well with that detail. I wouldn't have issued a warning for the GTA either, but Peel should have been. Peel is going to win this contest no doubt. I wouldn't be surprised to see a 10" total there.

The low appears to be intensifying. I reckon 8" for the GTA is a good call. Most news outlets have been advertising 8" this morning now, regardless of EC's 4-6" call.

There should really be a snow squall warning out for the GTA. Visibility is atrocious as my windows are shaking periodically. Some of these gusts are impressive.

Going to be difficult to measure at this point with the blowing snow.

Sad to see that accident. Maybe if EC issued some watches less people would be on the road. -_-

This has really snuck up on people. All day people were talking about how it'll just be a "bit of snow" out and about

I'm surprised at how north this band has reached, the Euro did well with that detail. I wouldn't have issued a warning for the GTA either, but Peel should have been. Peel is going to win this contest no doubt. I wouldn't be surprised to see a 10" total there.

The low appears to be intensifying. I reckon 8" for the GTA is a good call. Most news outlets have been advertising 8" this morning now, regardless of EC's 4-6" call.

There should really be a snow squall warning out for the GTA. Visibility is atrocious as my windows are shaking periodically. Some of these gusts are impressive.

Going to be difficult to measure at this point with the blowing snow.

Sad to see that accident. Maybe if EC issued some watches less people would be on the road. -_-

This has really snuck up on people. All day people were talking about how it'll just be a "bit of snow" out and about

Yeah, it's unfortunate. Seems people never learn.

update via LOT....16Z

BAND OF STEADIER AND MORE INTENSE SNOWFALL CONTINUES TO REGENERATE
ACROSS THE CHICAGO METRO BACK TO NEAR KVYS. THIS WILL LIKELY
CONTINUE THROUGH MIDDAY BEFORE THE FORCING DRIVING IT DIMINISHES.
ONCE THIS OCCURS...SHOULD SEE AN IMPROVEMENT IN VSBY WITH LIGHTER
SNOW INTENSITY BUT SNOW WILL LIKELY CONTINUE THROUGH THE
AFTERNOON. ANOTHER UPPER TROUGH WILL CROSS THE AREA INTO EARLY
AFTERNOON FROM THE WEST AND THIS WILL PROVIDE THE CONTINUED LIGHT
SNOW. VSBY MAY BECOME MORE VARIABLE THIS AFTERNOON WITH MAINLY
MVFR EXPECTED BUT THERE MAY BE IMPROVEMENT TO VFR AT TIMES BASED
ON TRENDS UPSTREAM OVER IOWA. AM CONTINUING TO MONITOR THE
POTENTIAL FOR LAKE EFFECT SNOW SHOWERS VERY LATE THIS
AFTERNOON/EARLY THIS EVENING AT ORD/MDW/GYY. HAVE ADDED A TEMPO
GROUP FOR A SHORT TIME TO ACCOUNT FROM THE POTENTIAL WITH THE IDEA
THAT A BAND WILL ORGANIZE JUST TO THE NORTH AND PIVOT EASTWARD AS
WINDS TURN NORTH AND NORTHWEST.