• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
December 13-14th Winter Storm Part 2

Chicago Storm

Snowfall rates beginning to slowly pickup. This band is shifting northward pretty consistently and faster then expected.

attachicon.gifimage.jpg

It would be great if that lake effect band made it to my area, but I doubt it. Downtown will likely see more snow than the suburbs, a truly unusual event. Still, I'm hoping for 5".

-16.5 degrees Celsius and snowing lightly at my place.

• Replies 606
  • Created
  • Last Reply

oh hi, did you have a change to laugh at MKE's LE warning yet?

Of course. You knocked your call for YBY out of the park too. :)

Welcome back!!! Yes, it's winter now that the LAF must be nearing 4". You just blew my tiebreaker though. Lol

5.2" and counting.

And sorry, I'm sure I ruined it for others as well. ;)

I believe 15-20cm is a good bet, with locally higher amounts of up to 25cm. Its snowing lightly in my area too. Yeah based on the radar, Mississauga has been in the band for a while? If indeed it ends up being greater than what EC had predicted, it will get scrutinized yet again, lol.

IMO, I think a snowfall warning should be issued, or atleast a watch. If conditions do get worse, it can be upgraded then to a warning.

It's a tough call. If warning criteria is met in Toronto it may just be the sliver of the city immediately adjacent to the lake. I'm not sure how much of a zone has to meet the criteria of a warning before it is issued.

It would be great if that lake effect band made it to my area, but I doubt it. Downtown will likely see more snow than the suburbs, a truly unusual event. Still, I'm hoping for 5".

-16.5 degrees Celsius and snowing lightly at my place.

I'm not one to speak in absolutes but there's virtually no chance the band makes it to north Scarborough. Should still be a nice synoptic event for you though.

omg! it's you! I'm speechless.

Had to show up for what hopefully isn't the biggest event of the season for LAF. And had to try to cheer up Jim in Kokomo. :D

Nice swirly returns to the south of IND on radar right now. This thing is a bit stronger than modeled. If temps weren't so crappy, we really would've raked here.

Had to show up for what hopefully isn't the biggest event of the season for LAF. And had to try to cheer up Jim in Kokomo. :D

Nice swirly returns to the south of IND on radar right now. This thing is a bit stronger than modeled. If temps weren't so crappy, we really would've raked here.

Welcome back!  I saw a report of 1.5" at 7 AM from the morning report going to NWS.  We missed out on the overnight.

Well, whatever the reason, glad to have you back. Stick around too. That storm late next week/weekend looks to be a lot of fun.

PRELIMINARY LOCAL STORM REPORT

NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE QUAD CITIES IA IL

908 AM CST SAT DEC 14 2013

0907 AM     HEAVY SNOW       2 WSW INDUSTRY          40.32N 90.64W

12/14/2013  M9.5 INCH        MCDONOUGH          IL   TRAINED SPOTTER

SO FAR

hit 4 inches....

SN

Welcome back!  I saw a report of 1.5" at 7 AM from the morning report going to NWS.  We missed out on the overnight.

Hmm, must be a little "gradienty" in Howard county. I saw three reports of 3.0" from CoCoRaHS observers at 7:00am from Kokomo. LAF observers spread from 3.6-4.2" at the same time.

Anyways, put your rally cap on. 

quick update from Hamilton.

12cm here from LE. Then the band shifted and hammered Burlington. A report from Guelph Line measured 21cm.

Now the band is weakening and slowly drifting north. Short range models bring the weakened band back over Hamilton by mid-late afternoon on the direct ENE wind.

Several short range models give 25-30cm in Hamilton with up to 40 in Burlington-Oakville.  

It's downright blizzardy here too!  Crazy, cold winds causing whiteouts in blowing snow.  Awesome start and the synoptic snow is just about to arrive.

quick update from Hamilton.

12cm here from LE. Then the band shifted and hammered Burlington. A report from Guelph Line measured 21cm.

Now the band is weakening and slowly drifting north. Short range models bring the weakened band back over Hamilton by mid-late afternoon on the direct ENE wind.

Several short range models give 25-30cm in Hamilton with up to 40 in Burlington-Oakville.  

It's downright blizzardy here too!  Crazy, cold winds causing whiteouts in blowing snow.  Awesome start and the synoptic snow is just about to arrive.

Which models are these? This seems way too quick to me. Winds aren't really going to start backing until this evening.

HRRR has the band hanging around Mississauga/south Toronto for most of the day.

Archived