joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
December 13-14th Winter Storm Part 2

Chicago Storm

• Replies 606
  • Created
  • Last Reply

LOT seems to have nailed it from when they posted the headlines as far as the headlines verification goes....they may be a bit under as far as totals go when all is said and done across the CWA...

but considering the duration of time that goes into those totals....they did a pretty solid job nailing down the headlines

I'd estimate 2 to 2.5" here in Eastpointe, the freeways got more and more snow covered as I got closer to home. Surface streets are a mess. Oh and to the plow guy that was plowing the shoulder of the freeway versus the freeway itself, you sir are an idiot.

At least the guys who spin out onto the shoulder will have a clear path!

LOT seems to have nailed it from when they posted the headlines as far as the headlines verification goes....they may be a bit under as far as totals go when all is said and done across the CWA...

but considering the duration of time that goes into those totals....they did a pretty solid job nailing down the headlines

as I type that LOT adds Dupage, Kane and Kendal....lol

URGENT - WINTER WEATHER MESSAGE

NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE CHICAGO IL

811 AM CST SAT DEC 14 2013

ILZ012-013-020-141800-

/O.EXA.KLOT.WW.Y.0010.000000T0000Z-131214T1800Z/

KANE-DUPAGE-KENDALL-

INCLUDING THE CITIES OF...AURORA...WHEATON...OSWEGO

811 AM CST SAT DEC 14 2013

...WINTER WEATHER ADVISORY IN EFFECT UNTIL NOON CST TODAY...

THE NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE IN CHICAGO HAS ISSUED A WINTER

WEATHER ADVISORY FOR SNOW...WHICH IS IN EFFECT UNTIL NOON CST

TODAY.

* TIMING...SNOW CONTINUING UNTIL AROUND NOON.

* ACCUMULATION...TOTAL SNOW ACCUMULATION OF 3 TO 6 INCHES BY NOON.

* SNOWFALL RATES...UP TO ONE HALF INCH PER HOUR.

* MAIN IMPACT...REDUCED VISIBILITY IN SNOW ALONG WITH SNOW COVERED

ROADS...MAKING TRAVEL SLOW AND DIFFICULT.

A pathetic 2.5" at my house. I came home from high school hoops at 10:30 last night and my tracks are clearly still visible.

It won't be anything like the models showed.

Cheer up Debbie Jim. You'll double that when all is said and done.

Oh yeah, is it ok to talk about winter now? 

just did a quick measure....i'm right around 4" here. I agree Gilbertfly, I think LOT did a nice job. The overall totals may come in a bit lower than forecasted, but the headlines were fine. 

I was actually thinking that the totals come in a bit higher than forecasted....but due to the duration it wouldn't have effected the headline status.....but yeah, good job by them

I can't tell. It's gnarly though.

loc20.jpg

Wow amazing shot :D Let it snow ;)

As I suspected, the EURO was onto something with that LES band and now guidance has caved in towards a better solution for the GTA. Currently temperatures are extremely cold, yyz at -14.5C, so ratios will be much higher.

All in all, I could potentially see a good 15-25cm in Toronto once this storm is done.

I think EC should issue a watch or warning for Toronto?

Very cool to see that band of lake effect snow moving east to west from L Ontario today after hammering NY the last several days.  BUF NWS even mentions it in this morning's AFD:

A POINT OF INTEREST FOR LAKE EFFECT SNOW LOVERS...A NORTHEASTERLY

FLOW BENEATH A STRONG SUBSIDENCE INVERSION BASED AT 900MB IS

PRODUCING A NARROW RIBBON OF MODERATE LAKE EFFECT SNOW OVER THE

NEARSHORE WATERS OF LAKE ONTARIO. THIS `REVERSE` BAND SNAKES ALONG

FROM JUST NORTH OF HAMLIN BEACH TO THE HAMILTON/BURLINGTON AREA

ATTHE WESTERN TIP OF THE LAKE. THIS CANADIAN LAK3 BAND IS EERILY

REMINISCENT OF THE HEAVY LAKE SNOW BAND THAT PUMMELED THE HAMILTON

METRO AREA DURING THE GREY CUP GAME ON NOV 24 1996.

900mb inversion. East wind LES can survive through some pretty adverse conditions.

Band is kissing the Toronto shoreline but it has weakened a bit as temps aloft are warming.

Wow amazing shot :D Let it snow ;)

As I suspected, the EURO was onto something with that LES band and now guidance has caved in towards a better solution for the GTA. Currently temperatures are extremely cold, yyz at -14.5C, so ratios will be much higher.

All in all, I could potentially see a good 15-25cm in Toronto once this storm is done.

I think EC should issue a watch or warning for Toronto?

I think those numbers are high, at least the upper part of your range. If the band doesn't weaken too much more and sits over Toronto for a bit I could see them going with a warning. But then again, Mississauga been getting it good for a couple of hours now and they haven't expanded to include them into the warning.

17 deg and pouring snow.... What's the snow ratios like compared to what was forecasted??? As I remember temps were to be much warmer with this system than what is on the table.

Radar shows a big ploom of snow exploding over lake Erie and heading this way... If the snow keeps falling like this 2 in an hour would quickly add to the totals :)

I think those numbers are high, at least the upper part of your range. If the band doesn't weaken too much more and sits over Toronto for a bit I could see them going with a warning. But then again, Mississauga been getting it good for a couple of hours now and they haven't expanded to include them into the warning.

I believe 15-20cm is a good bet, with locally higher amounts of up to 25cm. Its snowing lightly in my area too. Yeah based on the radar, Mississauga has been in the band for a while? If indeed it ends up being greater than what EC had predicted, it will get scrutinized yet again, lol.

IMO, I think a snowfall warning should be issued, or atleast a watch. If conditions do get worse, it can be upgraded then to a warning.

Missing out on this storm...sucks ahey? You"ll be back next weekend. Hopefully something pans out then ;)

Archived