Newest Member
    joxey
December 13-14th Winter Storm Part 2

Chicago Storm

• Replies 606
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well, gosh. If you say so.

These were taken about 90 minutes ago. It's been snowing moderately for a few hours now so we've probably picked up a few tenths since then. It was hard to get a handle on accumulations but I'd estimate 20-23cm on the grass. Will get more accurate totals tomorrow morning when it's all said and done. The wind and cold are brutal.

p5M4qJe.jpg

qfprNlU.jpg

c2M8leI.jpg

ryxMSRD.jpg

FxDufEP.jpg

QyE13rL.jpg

Fantastic. The second last pic sort of looks like the buildings at my alma mater, McMaster.

This'll make your blood boil Snowstorms :lol:

http://weather.gc.ca/warnings/weathersummaries_e.html#ON

:fulltilt:  <_<  *MAJOR FACEPALM* ..

How on earth did f*cking East York which hardly maintained in the LES band record more snow than YYZ? How? The mets tomorrow will be very mad seeing this report if it were official. 

I guess tomorrow I've got a nice meeting....to discuss how to adequately measure snowfall. Your telling me, 15 hours of Light snow being observed only amounts to 8cm? -_- 

And amazing pictures OntarioWx. You certainly got the brunt of this ;)

At least check i measured 17cm. 

:fulltilt:  <_<  *MAJOR FACEPALM* ..

How on earth did f*cking East York which hardly maintained in the LES band record more snow than YYZ? How? The mets tomorrow will be very mad seeing this report if it were official. 

I guess tomorrow I've got a nice meeting....to discuss how to adequately measure snowfall. Your telling me, 15 hours of Light snow being observed only amounts to 8cm? -_- 

And amazing pictures OntarioWx. You certainly got the brunt of this ;)

At least check i measured 17cm. 

You already know the answer to that question.

You already know the answer to that question.

I guess they didnt really get new instruments. If they haven't already realized how bogus their "Nipher Gauge" is, then I have zero credibility left for them. If they've been using this method for a while, alot of past storms prior to our personal observations could be skewed. 

I hope this isnt official. That amount for Downtown seems a bit too low as well. 8cm is wayyy to low. If it was around 10-14cm I would have reasoned a bit. .

Your profile Pic is exactly how my face was when i opened that link -_-

http://weather.gc.ca/trends_table/pages/yyz_metric_e.html

Light snow observed since 6am. Thats 18 hours and only 8cm?

I guess they didnt really get new instruments. If they haven't already realized how bogus their "Nipher Gauge" is, then I have zero credibility left for them. If they've been using this method for a while, alot of past storms prior to our personal observations could be skewed. 

I hope this isnt official. That amount for Downtown seems a bit too low as well. 8cm is wayyy to low. If it was around 10-14cm I would have reasoned a bit. .

Your profile Pic is exactly how my face was when i opened that link -_-

http://weather.gc.ca/trends_table/pages/yyz_metric_e.html

Light snow observed since 6am. Thats 18 hours and only 8cm?

Well, they did get new instruments in general. May not have included a new nipher gauge, or if it did, may be new but not improved.

Oh, and you kind of inadvertently insulted yourself where the text is bold. I think you mean they have zero credibility left.

Well, they did get new instruments in general. May not have included a new nipher gauge, or if it did, may be new but not improved.

Oh, and you kind of inadvertently insulted yourself where the text is bold. I think you mean they have zero credibility left.

They should have different measuring instruments as the Nipher Gauge is vulnerable to winds. It was a windy day today. That snow could have easily gotten blown off. Traffic cams from earlier in the day showed snowfall from LES around YYZ. -_- 

Whatever. In the end, I have a feeling they try to avoid busting High or preventing any records from being broken. 2007-08 to name one, lol 

And oh my bad. A typo. According to EC your area is getting some freezing rain/snow is it not? 

Shuttle was the only way, unfortunately. Looks like that near stationary bands that was over Hamilton/ stoney creek for a very long time is about to push onto our east. Probably lighter stuff still though right?

Yeah, the back edge of the accum. snow is still west of London. You could tack on a bit more but the bulk of the snow is done.

They should have different measuring instruments as the Nipher Gauge is vulnerable to winds. It was a windy day today. That snow could have easily gotten blown off. Traffic cams from earlier in the day showed snowfall from LES around YYZ. -_- 

Whatever. In the end, I have a feeling they try to avoid busting High or preventing any records from being broken. 2007-08 to name one, lol 

And oh my bad. A typo. According to EC your area is getting some freezing rain/snow is it not? 

Your feeling is unfounded though. They use a nipher gauge because they want to maintain snowfall climatology records at their primary observation sites but they don't want to have to pay someone to measure the snow. It's about expense. Environment Canada has been subject to some drastic budget cuts the last several years. There's no conspiracy. Inaccuracy in their measurements is an unfortunate byproduct.

Everyone and their mother knows this was more than an 8 cm snowfall. Lots of snow spotters reported more. I don't see how the jerkoff reporting by Pearson should sully this storm for you or anyone else.

Your feeling is unfounded though. They use a nipher gauge because they want to maintain snowfall climatology records at their primary observation sites but they don't want to have to pay someone to measure the snow. It's about expense. Environment Canada has been subject to some drastic budget cuts the last several years. There's no conspiracy. Inaccuracy in their measurements is an unfortunate byproduct.

Everyone and their mother knows this was more than an 8 cm snowfall. Lots of snow spotters reported more. I don't see how the jerkoff reporting by Pearson should sully this storm for you or anyone else.

Yeah they had huge budget cuts, I remember that. I believe they laid off or fired some 300 employees which is a large group of workers. In my honest opinion if they want to maintain their budget and keep reliable records they should have a camera set up directly in-front of the "Nipher Gauge" if they haven't already, and just skim through the footage before making a final report. 

It doesnt in any way, take me away from enjoying this storm but it does put me in a position where I feel as though I have no faith in their measuring capabilities and you outlined it very thoroughly as to why. Oh well, lets hope for the best. Thats all i can say? 

http://weather.gc.ca/city/pages/on-143_metric_e.html

They have 10.6mm at the bottom, lol. (Total precip) Btw how much would that equate to in terms of snowfall using the ratios we probably had today. 

http://weather.gc.ca/city/pages/on-64_metric_e.html

Vaughan had 9.0 (Buttonville)

6.1" IMBY for this storm, looks like CLE only had 5.1" through midnight, with perhaps a couple tenths after, so the official 6" streak lives on. Here at the southern edge of the snow, temps hovered around freezing, with no wind, so everything is caked in snow.

Models actually did fairly well with regards to QPF for this storm. It's very apparent what ratios can do to a snowfall:

0.24" at ORD for 4.2"

0.42" at SBN for 4.4"

0.48" at CAK for 3.5"

0.48" at DTW for 7.7"

0.51" at CLE for 5.1"

0.53" at TOL for 7.4"

0.57" at FWA for 5.1"

incredible final 6-7 hours from this storm.  About to go measure. I'll post totals later. But it's looking to be in the 30cm range. 

Some sort of lake enhanced band set up late last night and just pounded us for hours. I'm curious if the Cootes Paradise station has a snow gauge. I'm right in the north end of Hamilton near the Burlington border and we certainly got more than the 23-24 being reported at YHM.

A friend of mine lives out near Rymal Rd south of Hamilton and didn't have nearly the same heavy snow conditions for a few hours last night.  I'm sure areas in Burlington may have topped 30cm from this.  What a fantastic storm. 

Archived