Newest Member
    Gonzalo00
December 17th Clipper Potential

Radders

• Replies 606
  • Created
  • Last Reply

RGEM run looks a bit suspect. GFS so far looks status-quo compared to 18z run

The RGEM is much like the NAM pre-upgrade days, not great beyond 36 and increasingly bad beyond 42, decent from 30-36 and very good inside 30.  I think the GFS/Euro blend works right now until I see the Euro or GFS make a big move.

Looks like this system may fall just short, which is what I feared. Looks ok for those N&W of the metro, I think they could pick up 2-4". It's tough for us to get hit with a redeveloping clipper and it always favors those further north so this is no surprise to me.

Based on what?

Let's keep in mind that clippers RARELY give us more than an inch or two...ever ! Sometimes Long Island a bit more, as well as CT and NE

This is a very fickle setup, the low has to go south of Long Island, and the snow has to regenerate as it hits the Atlantic. If the low tracks over Long Island or the energy is too disjointed aloft, we're looking at a minor at best event. Yet another storm that will come down to the wire.

I know it...which is why I said RARELY....like last year's inverted trough event....rare, but possible

I think if this goes south of our latitude it will do well here. The Atlantic is wide open and that is some potent 500mb energy to spin up some nice snows for us through New England. But it has to go south of our latitude. An RGEM solution would be game over unless well north and west.

nam_48hr_precip_ne_17.png

While yesterday we were discussing ratios , it seems that the NAM RGEM and GFS agree From the City South and East across Long Island this goes over to rain .

850`s are never warmer than Minus 3 , but there is some mid level warming and this is NOT all snow .

Once N of 78 and W of the TPKE , it is , but S and E of there , theres a change .....

I still think the city and N shore of Long Island can get 2 to 3 , but this was Don S point yesterday and he saw this when the model didn't .

Still the 12z suite to get through , but this is what the models went to at  18z an 0z   However just NW into, NWNJ  Westchester and  SCT at least  4 inches are likely , if this is right .

The Euro has NO RAIN .and is further S but only prints out  1 -2 inches of snow  across the entire area , so take you r pick which one  would you would like to verify .

nam_48hr_precip_ne_17.png

While yesterday we were discussing ratios , it seems that the NAM RGEM and GFS agree From the City South and East across Long Island this goes over to rain .

850`s are never warmer than Minus 3 , but there is some mid level warming and this is NOT all snow .

Once N of 78 and W of the TPKE , it is , but S and E of there , theres a change .....

I still think the city and N shore of Long Island can get 2 to 3 , but this was Don S point yesterday and he saw this when the model didn't .

Still the 12z suite to get through , but this is what the models went to at 18z an 0z However just NW into, NWNJ Westchester and SCT at least 4 inches are likely , if this is right .

The Euro has NO RAIN .and is further S but only prints out 1 -2 inches of snow across the entire area , so take you r pick which one would you would like to verify .

A bit OT but if this does again turn to rain for LI looks looks our last hope for any snow of signifigance would be next week but even that looks more ice than anything. For LI if they're is not sufficient blocking events 9/10 times will end up like this

Archived