e46ds1x
    Newest Member
    e46ds1x
December 17th Clipper Potential

Radders

• Replies 606
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Looks like there's a small 0.25"+ area in 6 hours right by us. I'd say 3-5" are possible in a short period if it stays all snow.

don't think BL issues will be prevalent with this storm. I think this will come to where and how long the best banding sets up. from what I see as of now looks like it is going to be the coastal areas. I want to see some more HI-RES model runs before I get excited

don't think BL issues will be prevalent with this storm. I think this will come to where and how long the best banding sets up. from what I see as of now looks like it is going to be the coastal areas. I want to see some more HI-RES model runs before I get excited

Why do you not think BL issues will be a concern? I would actually argue that BL temps will be the primary concern.

Why do you not think BL issues will be a concern? I would actually argue that BL temps will be the primary concern.

The low is trending further south with more explosive cyclogenesis, limiting boundary layer warming. As currently modeled the track is south of Long Island, which is good for the metro. We also have a weak low and antecedent cold with -20C 850s just to our north tomorrow.

looks like LI at 48 gets some pretty heavy snowfall for a brief period. not bad. these little storms are starting to add up john :snowwindow:

The little storms are definitely adding up even where I am in Southern Brooklyn. I've had 6" this December with 3.5" yesterday, 2" on 12/10, and 0.5" in 12/8...my parents' place in Dobbs Ferry has about a foot on the season after 7" last night.

The little storms are definitely adding up even where I am in Southern Brooklyn. I've had 6" this December with 3.5" yesterday, 2" on 12/10, and 0.5" in 12/8...my parents' place in Dobbs Ferry has about a foot on the season after 7" last night.

if not for the totals being that high cumulatively, just seeing accumulating snow period this month three times its been a great experience thus far this winter season. im still looking forward to what 2014 has in store ( not for this thread but im personally looking forward to it )

Nam is the furthest south with it so far

The NAM is ALWAYS too far south with those inverted trof features in the range beyond 36-48 as we've seen a few times recent winters, also overdoes them alot too, interesting to see alot of support for it from other models, this is one of the rarer setups where it may come to frution for the metro but likely more Suffolk county and ERN CT than NYC, there is some resemblance in that inverted feature to 2/25/90.  The CIPS analogs are giving us hope this event may occur, the top 2 right now are 1/17/85 and 12/30/93...I think most remember the 93 event on 12/29...the 1/17/85 event gave LGA 3.7 inches, JFK 5.9 and EWR 3.3

The NAM is ALWAYS too far south with those inverted trof features in the range beyond 36-48 as we've seen a few times recent winters, also overdoes them alot too, interesting to see alot of support for it from other models, this is one of the rarer setups where it may come to frution for the metro but likely more Suffolk county and ERN CT than NYC, there is some resemblance in that inverted feature to 2/25/90.  The CIPS analogs are giving us hope this event may occur, the top 2 right now are 1/17/85 and 12/30/93...I think most remember the 93 event on 12/29...the 1/17/85 event gave LGA 3.7 inches, JFK 5.9 and EWR 3.3

Hey man , off topic ....  the Set up for next Sun - Mon  on both the Euro and GFS continues to trend east ,and is really  starting to look interesting .

Hey man , off topic ....  the Set up for next Sun - Mon  on both the Euro and GFS continues to trend east ,and is really  starting to look interesting .

There are some Mets down in the MA and SE starting to get excited about that event, that shows you right there if anything we may need to be more on the lookout for suppression with that event that anything...the fact there are thicknesses below 504 close by in S Canada likely means the Euro is way to north right now on it.

There are some Mets down in the MA and SE starting to get excited about that event, that shows you right there if anything we may need to be more on the lookout for suppression with that event that anything...the fact there are thicknesses below 504 close by in S Canada likely means the Euro is way to north right now on it.

Hmmmmm  .. Almost a  plus 2 SD  pos NAO , argues for enough ridging .  I  will take the threat to the other thread , sorry guys

The NAM is ALWAYS too far south with those inverted trof features in the range beyond 36-48 as we've seen a few times recent winters, also overdoes them alot too, interesting to see alot of support for it from other models, this is one of the rarer setups where it may come to frution for the metro but likely more Suffolk county and ERN CT than NYC, there is some resemblance in that inverted feature to 2/25/90. The CIPS analogs are giving us hope this event may occur, the top 2 right now are 1/17/85 and 12/30/93...I think most remember the 93 event on 12/29...the 1/17/85 event gave LGA 3.7 inches, JFK 5.9 and EWR 3.3

The only problem is that the areas most likely to be affected by a Norlun are also where we could boundary layer problems...I think mixing is limited to eastern LI, Jersey shore and SE CT but could be problematic there.

Didn't the NAM score well with the inverted trof last year. ( I think it was its only score)

Need to see tonight's models and trends it won't take a big north shift to hose most of the area, at the same time we are close to a solid hit

a few miles in this situation makes all the difference right now i would watch for the mountains to eat alot of the precip up 

Archived