joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Winter storm 12/8-9 Observations/Nowcasting II

nj2va

• Replies 704
  • Created
  • Last Reply

planes coming out of DCA overhead like a regular evening now... still no noticeable accretion here in rosslyn. i'm not saying its over, but i think phineas may be right for those of us close in. been a great day with yall.

I don't see any widespread power outages in central VA, so doesn't look like this will be a high-impact icing event.  Lots of rain.  Should be pretty in the am.

Dryslot this AM killed that--

If we had gotten the .5 as modeled, even if it was half sleet-- we'd be pushing it now. Instead, it was .10 to .22 in most areas-- 

is this a bust?  

As of now I don't think so, but may change my mind in the morning. Icy here on the expected area--trees, bushes, autos, driveways, sidewalks, etc. Roads where treated are just wet, but icy on the sides. Part of the freezing issue here is that the Freezing rain is coming down moderately leading to a lot of the water running instead of freezing on contact. I think light/slower rain freezes on contact better...

As of now I don't think so, but may change my mind in the morning. Icy here on the expected area--trees, bushes, autos, driveways, sidewalks, etc. Roads where treated are just wet, but icy on the sides. Part of the freezing issue here is that the Freezing rain is coming down moderately leading to a lot of the water running instead of freezing on contact. I think light/slower rain freezes on contact better...

yeah same here.....and still at 31....but more a commentary on impact.....seems like low to medium impact....

Yeah I think impact is medium to low leaning toward low at this time...some of the FB mets over hyped the impact of this part of the storm in my opinion.

I can't wait till the next ice storm that people count all possible liquid as accreted

Archived