Toothache
    Newest Member
    Toothache
Central PA - December 2013

PennMan

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Jamie I was just quoting off of here. But .47" sounds better :)

http://www.meteor.iastate.edu/~ckarsten/cobb/cobb.php?model=gfsm&site=kmdt

That has .44 now.

One thing that I didn't figure out until last year and that was by accident; pay attention to the time. If it starts with 21Z, it's the 18Z. Otherwise, it's the 06Z. I didn't realize that it takes a bit to update. I got excited over a storm showing us getting 11 inches then 10 minutes later it said we were getting 4, and I was all WTF until I figured out the start time.

Weird radar echoes this evening. Moving east and northeast.

Well thats pretty interesting, I still had GRAnalyst up on my computer from the storm last night so I just had a look at it on there. This thing starts in the southwest around johnstown and once it's far enough east of the radar it starts picking the full length of it up when east of CCX radar. Seems like it progressed SW to NE and is now being picked up by the flow aloft and it's gets picked up starting at around 4-5k feet.

The dual pol products show that this is definitely not a weather phenomenon.

post-1507-0-31155700-1386633615_thumb.pn

The left image is using the differential reflectivity product (ZDR), you can clearly see the streak on it and it has very high positive values (>7), meaning whatever the radars hitting is much larger horizontally than it is vertically. Right image is corellation coefficient, which is a percentage value. Regular precip/hydrometeor are usually quite high being nearly 100%, meaning everything is a uniform size. You can see the stream of echoes has very low CC values indicating alot of inconsistency in the size of whatever its hitting. To pretty much sum it up I'm not sure what that would be and it's quite peculiar.

Well thats pretty interesting, I still had GRAnalyst up on my computer from the storm last night so I just had a look at it on there. This thing starts in the southwest around johnstown and once it's far enough east of the radar it starts picking the full length of it up when east of CCX radar. Seems like it progressed SW to NE and is now being picked up by the flow aloft and it's gets picked up starting at around 4-5k feet.

The dual pol products show that this is definitely not a weather phenomenon.

attachicon.gifCCXweird.png

The left image is using the differential reflectivity product (ZDR), you can clearly see the streak on it and it has very high positive values (>7), meaning whatever the radars hitting is much larger horizontally than it is vertically. Right image is corellation coefficient, which is a percentage value. Regular precip/hydrometeor are usually quite high being nearly 100%, meaning everything is a uniform size. You can see the stream of echoes has very low CC values indicating alot of inconsistency in the size of whatever its hitting. To pretty much sum it up I'm not sure what that would be and it's quite peculiar.

Check out my link. Looks like chaff.

Or.....

Ancient-Aliens.jpg

That has .44 now.

One thing that I didn't figure out until last year and that was by accident; pay attention to the time. If it starts with 21Z, it's the 18Z. Otherwise, it's the 06Z. I didn't realize that it takes a bit to update. I got excited over a storm showing us getting 11 inches then 10 minutes later it said we were getting 4, and I was all WTF until I figured out the start time.

Jamie thanks for the lesson! I wasn't aware of...if it starts with 21Z = 18Z. Now I hope I remember that  :lmao:

Archived