joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Central PA - December 2013

PennMan

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

21 at my house, if we get some freezing rain it will be ugly! If that precip. from Tenn, KY, AL, MS completely misses us I will eat my hat!

I dunno, unless something causes it to lift north the angle its on now seems to be a tad low for most of PA. Hard to tell based on a few radar frames off the NWS National Mosaic but it is starting to curve low

I am in Hershey right now and there is mixing... So I can confirm that

I dunno, unless something causes it to lift north the angle its on now seems to be a tad low for most of PA. Hard to tell based on a few radar frames off the NWS National Mosaic but it is starting to curve low

Definitely a sleet-y look to things with the echoes in the southern tier below me, and actually just having a look outside i can see a bit of something else falling other than the snow grains that are flyin around. Fortunately, or at least hopefully.. I think that the bulk of this precipitation shield that is coming up from the south is going to miss most of us just to the southeast. The areas most under the gun are probably gonna be the areas that got hammered with the significant WAA snows this afternoon...particularly southern York and Lancaster counties (and also Northern Maryland for our south of the border readers). Sizeable ice accumulations could make for quite a mess and some difficult travel, and potentially some ultilty issues with the combined ice and snow on trees. I don't really see alot of operational or short term model support (via HRRR and RAP) attm for this shield getting much further into the Sus Valley than say York and Lancaster.

That's not to say nothing will be happening, as we will have scattered patches of sleet/ZR showers along with freezing drizzle in most of the area. That in itself will be enough to make travelling a bit of a challenge tonight with how cold temps are. Will still have to keep an eye on this precip area for sure, especially for folks in places like Harrisburg, Carisle, Shippensburg, etc,. I think the central areas of AOO/UNV/IPT are a bit more of a certainty that the slug of precip misses and they just get the more scattered stuff... which is a good thing because that's likely to be the last area that's going to get above freezing tomorrow. And that'll probably happen in earnest only after precip ends and we get the warmer air aloft mixed down and the low level cold evacuated via some gusty winds.

Definitely a sleet-y look to things with the echoes in the southern tier below me, and actually just having a look outside i can see a bit of something else falling other than the snow grains that are flyin around. Fortunately, or at least hopefully.. I think that the bulk of this precipitation shield that is coming up from the south is going to miss most of us just to the southeast. The areas most under the gun are probably gonna be the areas that got hammered with the significant WAA snows this afternoon...particularly southern York and Lancaster counties (and also Northern Maryland for our south of the border readers). Sizeable ice accumulations could make for quite a mess and some difficult travel, and potentially some ultilty issues with the combined ice and snow on trees. I don't really see alot of operational or short term model support (via HRRR and RAP) attm for this shield getting much further into the Sus Valley than say York and Lancaster.

That's not to say nothing will be happening, as we will have scattered patches of sleet/ZR showers along with freezing drizzle in most of the area. That in itself will be enough to make travelling a bit of a challenge tonight with how cold temps are. Will still have to keep an eye on this precip area for sure, especially for folks in places like Harrisburg, Carisle, Shippensburg, etc,. I think the central areas of AOO/UNV/IPT are a bit more of a certainty that the slug of precip misses and they just get the more scattered stuff... which is a good thing because that's likely to be the last area that's going to get above freezing tomorrow. And that'll probably happen in earnest only after precip ends and we get the warmer air aloft mixed down and the low level cold evacuated via some gusty winds.

How much ice would you say southern Lancaster gets?

How much ice would you say southern Lancaster gets?

Call Eric.

Archived