joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Central PA - December 2013

PennMan

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Not even in the virga zone up here lol, lots of schools closed in the Wyoming and Susquehanna valleys that may not end up with more than a trace lol.

Why would they close up there when it was never supposed to do anything significant? When I worked for that tv station up there they always made a big deal out of even the littlest snowfall. Too much hype. Thankfully I never had to dance around on a street corner in flurries during the morning show.

We have a little bit of light snow here in State College. I have a feeling that stuff to the southwest is going to weaken as it moves in, though.

Yeah, the best lift is to the south due to some frontogenesis associated with that trough upstream of northern MD. At least snow growth is pretty good with dendrites falling. Definitely an improvement in that parameter with the mositure and lift in colder air than the previous systems.

Why would they close up there when it was never supposed to do anything significant? When I worked for that tv station up there they always made a big deal out of even the littlest snowfall. Too much hype. Thankfully I never had to dance around on a street corner in flurries during the morning show.

the high res models missed that area, but NWS went with the globals that all showed a decent qpf around .25 for that area...with good ratios that could have been 3-4".  Turns out some of the high res models were right in sliding the majority of the precip more to the southeast...but there was  no real way to know ahead of time, banking on the high res models is a crapshoot sometimes.  I don't blame the NWS for being cautious, but schools should maybe at least wait until td he morning for an "update" before making the call...of course often times the "update" is just outdated bad info from the night before and so they still make the wrong call. 

the high res models missed that area, but NWS went with the globals that all showed a decent qpf around .25 for that area...with good ratios that could have been 3-4".  Turns out some of the high res models were right in sliding the majority of the precip more to the southeast...but there was  no real way to know ahead of time, banking on the high res models is a crapshoot sometimes.  I don't blame the NWS for being cautious, but schools should maybe at least wait until td he morning for an "update" before making the call...of course often times the "update" is just outdated bad info from the night before and so they still make the wrong call. 

Not if they use AccuWeather. When I worked there they offered direct consulting in their snow warning service. It's mainly fear of lawsuits. 

Ya it is, pushing east. Will be out of here in 15 minutes... and I'd say we barely have a dusting here, let alone a coating. :P

Expand!!!!!!! haha It is getting a little wider...so maybe another 10min? lol ;)

One of my coworkers who lives out in eastern Centre County asked me how long this is going to last, he was concerned about driving in. The band has held steady over eastern Centre and 322 in Seven Mountains is snowcovered. I told him not that long. 

One of my coworkers who lives out in eastern Centre County asked me how long this is going to last, he was concerned about driving in. The band has held steady over eastern Centre and 322 in Seven Mountains is snowcovered. I told him not that long. 

Correct. Assuming he's in the general Lock Haven area, should be out of there in 10 to 15 minutes, too.

Archived