joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Central PA - December 2013

PennMan

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

He's right though, 45" or so of that total came within 4 days.

No.

The winter of 09-10 had three huge storms. Harrisburg was fringed on exactly one of those and did quite well in two.

Look...I get it...some of you guys are more interested in being miserable than enjoying the weather and if some of you do well this winter, you'll have a tough time dealing with it. But data trumps everything else. Always. 

Trust me I know that stats. But if you look at the snow totals that came out of York, Lancaster, and Adams county for those big winter storms, they were pushing 30" down around Gettysburg, etc. So while yes it was a snowy year, the jackpot totals were always to the south and east. 

You guys really try hard to be miserable and whine. It's very strange. 

No.

The winter of 09-10 had three huge storms. Harrisburg was fringed on exactly one of those and did quite well in two.

Look...I get it...some of you guys are more interested in being miserable than enjoying the weather and if some of you do well this winter, you'll have a tough time dealing with it. But data trumps everything else. Always. 

December 19 = 9"

February 5/6 = 22"

February 9/10= 18"

3 solid storms

You guys really try hard to be miserable and whine. It's very strange. 

Nevermind, I was just trying to make a quick little rant. I did not mean to diverge the talk away from the current storm. Jeesh. At least I will be getting some lake effect off Erie up here on campus the next few days hehe.

No.

It was a great winter - great by any measure - and we did have three awesome storms. But just east of here iirc they had much higher totals, notably with the December storm. He said we were fringed, he didn't specify what type of fringe or anything.

I'm not complaining one bit. I'd pay good money for a winter like that again. Today? I'll complain about.

Nevermind, I was just trying to make a quick little rant. I did not mean to diverge the talk away from the current storm. Jeesh. At least I will be getting some lake effect off Erie up here on campus the next few days hehe.

I just don't get the hyperfocus on the worst possible stuff when 09-10 was a great winter for a lot of us. We even got a good storm that year. It makes the hobby less enjoyable. 

Enjoy the lake effect, looks pretty good this week!

Just remember MDT/etc crowd. You could have been in W-B, where we got 2" on 12/19/09 and a coating on 2/5-6/10 while you guys were breaking out yardsticks.

You guys (and Voyager) really really got screwed then, I remember those posts. :/

Back on topic, sorry for the derailment. Snow's a little larger here now.

You guys (and Voyager) really really got screwed then, I remember those posts. :/

Back on topic, sorry for the derailment. Snow's a little larger here now.

Has there been any accumulation in Harrisburg? I was looking at the traffic cams and you can clearly see where the snow accumulations pick up heading down 83 in Dauphin County. It is pretty crazy. Looks like Middletown will report more snow than Harrisburg. Weird for them lol.

I know what you're trying to say. Basically along rt 30 did well while a sharp cutoff showed up along turnpike storm after storm. I had over 60" in Feb 2010 while Harrisburg maybe had half of that. Many other examples as well.

Anyway around 3" in Cashtown. I will measure at 11:30

Has there been any accumulation in Harrisburg? I was looking at the traffic cams and you can clearly see where the snow accumulations pick up heading down 83 in Dauphin County. It is pretty crazy. Looks like Middletown will report more snow than Harrisburg. Weird for them lol.

Some grass areas and cars, that's it. Just a coating, essentially, on those. Grass is spotty with coverage.

I know what you're trying to say. Basically along rt 30 did well while a sharp cutoff showed up along turnpike storm after storm. I had over 60" in Feb 2010 while Harrisburg maybe had half of that. Many other examples as well.

Anyway around 3" in Cashtown. I will measure at 11:30

Incorrect, i had 65.5" 09-10

I'm in midtown HBG. There's a dusting on the deck and the grass. Pavement is just wet, even on my low-traffic side street.

Lol 09-10 was awful!! December 19th we received 0.8" and feb. 5th I think like 3".

You did better the following winter, above normal snow...125% of normal. That was an IPT jackpot year. 

The late Feb storm was the one where you did better than UNV in 09-10, which must have been due to banding. 

BTW, a good page to bookmark is here: http://www.erh.noaa.gov/ctp/features/snowmaps/index.php?tab=storms

They have a fair amount of past storms (but not all, few of the 10-11 storms) on that page. 

Archived