• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    12bet1 net
    Newest Member
    12bet1 net
December 6-7: Rainy Frontal Passage or a Wintry Wave?

moneypitmike

18z NAM soundings indicate a pretty healthy event for a lot of the region...we'll have to watch this pretty closely over the next 4-5 hours.

The sounding even at 03z are really close to parachutes for places like ORH/FIT/BAF...even on the RAP model too.

Thanks for the updates.  Hoping for a couple of flurries here at the end.  Looks warm to me, but maybe we can pull it off just to my NW with some dynamics involved.

• Replies 703
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If my understanding is correct, the temperature isotherms tilt to the right as you go up the chart. I've reattached the original sounding with the 0 degree isotherm highlighted in blue. Anything to the left of the 0 degree line is modeled to be below freezing.

131206201749_markup.gif

Yup... You got it! Try to download bufkit... An easier way to view the soundings.

I've been trying to remember a rain-to-snow event around here that dropped more than an inch or so.  Almost all of the events I can think of are early/late season events where the boundary layer started warm and the mid/upper levels were plenty cold.  The only other one I can remember is 12/25/2002 in NYC.  If this does manage to drop several inches of snow around here, it seems it would be quite anomalous.

As Ryan pointed out earlier, the separation between the frontal passage and the wave may be what makes this a little different.

I've been trying to remember a rain-to-snow event around here that dropped more than an inch or so.  Almost all of the events I can think of are early/late season events where the boundary layer started warm and the mid/upper levels were plenty cold.  The only other one I can remember is 12/25/2002 in NYC.  If this does manage to drop several inches of snow around here, it seems it would be quite anomalous.

As Ryan pointed out earlier, the separation between the frontal passage and the wave may be what makes this a little different.

I remember quite a few of them up here in the 90s. They're tough to pull off outside of the west slope upslope areas, but I wouldn't call them rare.

Pretty nice summation here:

1. Precipitation moves back in this evening, many in New England make change to snow either side of 10pm (on average)

2. A 9-12 hour snow event for most of the Northeast tonight/Sat AM - shipping out of New England 7-10AM.

Weird. All of you say it has trended good, but KALB keeps lowering stuff, along with the RAP/HRRR combo. Hmmm...

Some on here had artificially lowered board expectations... and then suddenly the Euro shows a few inches from Worcester to BOS and people jump on the band wagon.  Since yesterday the thrust of the precip shield on model progs has moved slightly south from SVT to the heart of SNE.  That's a good trend for most of SNE.

Albany WFO was so high they had nowhere to go but down.

This storm has a limit too. It won't just keep getting better. We aren't getting 5-10" lol.

Ya...thats pretty clear for the reasonable snow hounds. a coating trending to 1-3" wont get us streaking but turning chit white around the yard makes the nipples tender.

weird just went to wunderground to check temps around the area and they have this for my area tonight seems off compared to nws usually they are the same

Friday Night
nt_sleet.gif A mix of wintry precipitation this evening. Then periods of snow expected overnight. Low 31F. Winds NNW at 5 to 10 mph. Snow and ice accumulating 3 to 5 inches.

Archived