amirah5
    Newest Member
    amirah5
December Banter

metalicwx366

• Replies 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

CLT is now down to 47.9 for the month which is 3.7 degrees above average. That looks better than it did a week ago for sure. HKY is at 45.8 for the month, thus far, which is 2.8 degrees above normal. Still have some work to do to get back to normal after the warm anomalies earlier this month.

44.0 mean temp for December so far IMBY on the northeast side of Hickory.  I'm about 5 miles, as the crow flies, from the airport where the official observations are kept.

It's now official!!!

I am a meteorologist, I graduated this morning from UNC-Asheville with a bachelor of science in atmospheric science concentration in weather forecasting. Looking forward to future challenges and continuing to contribute to www.americanwx.com.

Congrats!!!! 

This is awesome! Good luck to you sir !!!!!

It's now official!!! I am a meteorologist, I graduated this morning from UNC-Asheville with a bachelor of science in atmospheric science concentration in weather forecasting. Looking forward to future challenges and continuing to contribute to www.americanwx.com.
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

CLT is now down to 47.9 for the month which is 3.7 degrees above average. That looks better than it did a week ago for sure. HKY is at 45.8 for the month, thus far, which is 2.8 degrees above normal. Still have some work to do to get back to normal after the warm anomalies earlier this month.

Our departure is dropping as well. Probably increased again because of today but we are +10 now.

It's now official!!!

I am a meteorologist, I graduated this morning from UNC-Asheville with a bachelor of science in atmospheric science concentration in weather forecasting. Looking forward to future challenges and continuing to contribute to www.americanwx.com.

988422_10201779631191467_1872309369_n.jp

That is REALLY awesome!!!!Congratulations!!!!

It's now official!!!

Congratulations.  

It's now official!!!

congratulations!!!! that is a heck of an accomplishment. Wish you the best in your future  Get this man a RED TAG!!!!

It's now official!!!

Congrats on your accomplishment! Wishing you nothing but the best........ Look forward to your "professional" insights!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Just wanted to take a second to thank everyone on the SE board for their expertise and friendship throughout the years.  There wouldn't be a TN Valley forum w/out you.  You know, at my church my Sunday school class has helped form several classes through the years.  We always hate to see people leave but take a little pride in the fact that we have equipped people to have vision and confidence enough to try something new.  Ultimately, they are still part of our church family and we have grown as a church because of it.  I would like to think this is a similar situation.  We are all still a part of the weather community.  And in a sense, we are just right down the hall.  So, again thank you for letting us call the SE board home for many years.   Hopefully, we will all be able to collaborate on an upcoming storm.

Reported, for trolling another forum and discussing religion on the weather side.

:santa:

Reported, for trolling another forum and discussing religion on the weather side.

Hey, burns, it's okay.  Turnabout is fair play.  I already harmlessly trolled their forum and brought up CAD in their pattern discussion.  On their subforum, you have to refer to it as C**.  It's a dirty word in the TN Valley.  :rambo:

Hey, burns, it's okay.  Turnabout is fair play.  I already harmlessly trolled their forum and brought up CAD in their pattern discussion.  On their subforum, you have to refer to it as C**.  It's a dirty word in the TN Valley.  :rambo:

Roosevelt never should have used tax money to give them electricity. 

Looking at the last 14 days of December, RDU has only been above average (temp wise) for 5 of the 14 days. But 4 of those days have been over 10 degrees above average; and they have the total average temp near a half of a degree above average. This upcoming week looks very average. This weekend looks above average; so it looks like the week after Christmas is going to be the maker of an above or below December for RDU. Not that it really matters but things are boring and I have nothing better to do.   

It's now official!!!

Congrats Jordan!!  :thumbsup:   I know you will look great in red   ^_^

Some good thoughts in here tonight. On one hand, I can see some reasons for negativity:

1) The majority of the region hasn't seen a meaningful winter storm in a couple of years.

2) The current pattern has not been conducive to alleviating the snow drought.

3) Areas not too far north and west have seen winter weather and stand a decent chance to see more in the not too distant future.

4) Modeled warm-ups can be scary if you are a cold fan.

On the other hand, I'm not sure what the general expectation is. Larry's stats indicate that greater than 90% of winter precipitation events are rain. He didn't just start keeping stats in 2011. So what are we looking for that will make us happy?

1) Wall to wall cold?

2) A snowpack that stays on the ground from December till March?

3) A -NAO all winter long?

How often do those things happen here? And why would we expect that? If that's the expectation, it has already failed.

On the other hand, are we expecting wall to wall warmth? If so, why? If that's the expectation, that has also already failed.

So it's likely, those are not anyone's real expectations, because that would be absurdly unrealistic. Therefore, it's likely that the majority of expectations are for some cold and snow and some mild periods as well -- a much more reasonable expectation.

At this time, there is nothing to suggest that expectation will fail this winter. Not one thing. Zero. The current pattern isn't great for snow. Sure, ok. But that doesn't mean it can't. Many winter storms have occurred in patterns that aren't great for snow.

It would be awesome to have a great pattern set up. But many great patterns have underperformed too. Still, I think we'd all take our chances with a great pattern. But even if we don't get it, there is a lot of cold around. This is the very kind of year when a not so great pattern has a decent shot of producing something. And it's likely we won't see it coming more that a couple/few days in advance.

It's easy to be negative based on how the last couple of years have gone. But I have seen nothing to diminish my optimism for this winter. I'm not even writing the rest of the month off. We have a long way to go yet. Just enjoy the ride.

From the pattern thread, but didn't want to clutter with banter.

:clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

Well said, CR.

A lot of members over the years have heard us from the RDU area talk about Greg Fishel, our local TV met.  Anyway, below is a tweet from him tonight which I thought was cool...

For weather enthusiasts out there, I would highly suggest checking out http://www.americanwx.com/models/index.html . A lot of great stuff including PV x-sections!

Looking at the last 14 days of December, RDU has only been above average (temp wise) for 5 of the 14 days. But 4 of those days have been over 10 degrees above average; and they have the total average temp near a half of a degree above average. This upcoming week looks very average. This weekend looks above average; so it looks like the week after Christmas is going to be the maker of an above or below December for RDU. Not that it really matters but things are boring and I have nothing better to do.   

That is why I think it is really more important to look at how many days have been above normal versus how many days have been below normal. Those few days of the extreme can really skew the averages and make it seem a lot warmer than it really has been.

Archived