Toothache
    Newest Member
    Toothache
NNE Winter 2013-14 Part I

klw

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Actually we can't just choose to split a county, we have to go through a process to make it official and that county is then always split. So it adds to the number of zones, which effects a number of products. So it's not something we do lightly. All of our northern counties are split (Coos, Grafton, Carroll, Oxford, Franklin, Somerset (which is split three ways actually with CAR taking the top)). Then we've also split a coastal zone from all our coastal counties (except for parts of the Midcoast). See how confusing this gets already? Ha

We have issues all over the place though. The "tail" in Cumberland county that sticks into Oxford. They get conditions the rest of the county doesn't see all the time, and can be surrounded by headlines in Oxford on three sides! Merrimack is another big problem county because the NW half to third is mostly above 800 feet. Big difference from the SE part.

Here is what it looks like (counties in black, zone splits in white, CWAs in red).

attachicon.gifCWA.jpg

Coastal part of the counties that head inland to the coastal plain, And the Foothill county's that are south into the coastal plain, I am guessing there can be quite a difference in precip type and totals for those, With some having some elevation, That has to be a tough task at times making a call

Coastal part of the counties that head inland to the coastal plain, And the Foothill county's that are south into the coastal plain, I am guessing there can be quite a difference in precip type and totals for those, With some having some elevation, That has to be a tough task at times making a call

It's a challenge. I mean you have quite a difference in terrain from southern Oxford/Franklin to Somerset. Of even within a county like Strafford (NH). The SE half is coastal plain but the NW half has some near 1000 foot elevation.

It's a challenge. I mean you have quite a difference in terrain from southern Oxford/Franklin to Somerset. Of even within a county like Strafford (NH). The SE half is coastal plain but the NW half has some near 1000 foot elevation.

I am sure it comes up often in some of these, And the NH one i would say is a real good example where the northern part could have warning criteria precip but the southenrn part has advisory but they would have to be included in the warning.

I was curious so I called Grey Maine.  Spoke to a nice female met.  She said that they can break up some counties but not others.  For instance they can break up Grafton county and issue for just the northern or southern half.  They can't do it for Carroll county.  They know its a problem in NH.  Out west the counties are more square but we have the funky shapes which lead to misleading advisories sometimes.

That's right--I forgot they split Grafton sometimes!  I should've remembered that once since where I live borders Grafton and I work in Grafton Co., lol.

C-c-c-c-c-c-cold one.  -17F this morning.

Actually we can't just choose to split a county, we have to go through a process to make it official and that county is then always split. So it adds to the number of zones, which effects a number of products. So it's not something we do lightly. All of our northern counties are split (Coos, Grafton, Carroll, Oxford, Franklin, Somerset (which is split three ways actually with CAR taking the top)). Then we've also split a coastal zone from all our coastal counties (except for parts of the Midcoast). See how confusing this gets already? Ha

We have issues all over the place though. The "tail" in Cumberland county that sticks into Oxford. They get conditions the rest of the county doesn't see all the time, and can be surrounded by headlines in Oxford on three sides! Merrimack is another big problem county because the NW half to third is mostly above 800 feet. Big difference from the SE part.

Here is what it looks like (counties in black, zone splits in white, CWAs in red).

attachicon.gifCWA.jpg

Cool map.

Yeah the best thing BTV did was split the western slopes from the Champlain Valley in Franklin/Chittenden/Addison/Rutland counties.  I remember when that happened though I dont' think I lived up here yet?  Probably 2000-2005, somewhere in those years. 

I can't even imagine how that must've been to issue advisories/warnings when those counties weren't split...I mean it could literally snow 36" on the upslope east side of Chittenden/Franklin/Addison counties (now zones 16, 17, 18), while its partly sunny on the west side along the lakeshore (zones 2, 5, 9). 

I don't know how you would manage that in a one-county zone forecast.

Approaching -30F dew points, lol.  Remember this one when its 80/72 next summer and we are sitting and sweating.

attachicon.gifMVL.JPG

hahah nice. I have felt as cold as -15 but this morning we are at -9 or so. I Stepped outside and it was definitely a good "nostril freezer". I remember -15 is about where the pain really begins to kick in.

Approaching -30F dew points, lol.  Remember this one when its 80/72 next summer and we are sitting and sweating.

attachicon.gifMVL.JPG

It is not the cold,it is the lack of humidity.

We had about -14 at the house this morning.  I saw -22 in Danville on the drive in to work.

Archived