• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Toothache
    Newest Member
    Toothache
NNE Winter 2013-14 Part I

klw

Nice, J.Spin... that cam was fun to check in on every once in a while.  You got about 3 more inches than we did one town to the north.

Very interesting storm... and at first I thought it had to do with meso-scale issues, but it looks like there was just a sharp gradient and that the heaviest precip with the coastal came up the Greens to about I-89 in J.Spin's area and then headed ENE from there.  The western side of the Spine certainly had some big downsloping, as the Jeffersonville COOP had 2" this morning when I had 5.7" and the two spots are just one side of the Notch to the other side.  The same effect was all up and down the Spine, but with more moisture the gradient was 15-17" in the Killington area, and then only 6-8" on the western side near Rutland area. 

As usual, the GFS and other models showing massive downsloping across all of the northern half of Vermont was wrong (issues with grid size I would assume), but I am surprised how good the NEK did towards LSC and St J.  Where that area over-performed, the bigger under-performance to me is the eastern Adirondacks area.  They do good upslope on an easterly component wind and the models kept hammering that area with localized lift and big QPF values. 

Very cool storm overall though...I think its a pretty neat snowfall gradient and spread.  The terrain made a difference in some areas, but then again in other areas it didn't.  For me, it just looks like the better lift and moisture turned too much northeast prior to getting up into this area.  Amazing gradient though because I'm pretty sure Stowe Village didn't get more than 6.5" but there are spotter reports of 9-10" like a mere two miles south on the Stowe/Waterbury border.

1477986_579720278766544_1034661276_n.png

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I was also surprised by how dense the snow was...it was cold snow but as J.Spin's data showed, I doubt we had much better than 10-12:1 ratios.  Another one of the reasons why I don't like to bank on ratios for snowfall (there was a lot of talk a couple days ago of 18-20:1 ratios) and it just seems hard to get more upslope-style ratios in synoptic storms.  I guess it depends on the storm, but mid-level WAA seems to cut down on ratios no matter what models show for temps in snow growth region.

I was also surprised by how dense the snow was...it was cold snow but as J.Spin's data showed, I doubt we had much better than 10-12:1 ratios.  Another one of the reasons why I don't like to bank on ratios for snowfall (there was a lot of talk a couple days ago of 18-20:1 ratios) and it just seems hard to get more upslope-style ratios in synoptic storms.  I guess it depends on the storm, but mid-level WAA seems to cut down on ratios no matter what models show for temps in snow growth region.

I think mesoscale lift had something to do with it, too. Over this way where we got into that deformation band, we ended with an average of 15:1 ratios. Toward the beginning it was ~12:1 with grainy flakes, but when it was dumping it was closer to that 18-20:1. 

I pulled 15-20:1 for the 1st third/half of the storm so it can happen with SWFEs, but I agree that you hate having to count on it. The best banding signal was north of you, but I didn't see any totals coming out from between YUL and YSC yet.

18z MAV just came in with -7 for PWM tomorrow.

Would be the coldest min temp since 1/24/11, as we only got to -4 last winter.

I hope the clouds hold off a bit until 11-12z. The rad spots in the foothills will have a shot at a below 0F mean on Tuesday.

ec ens have ridiculously cold 2m temps 12z Tue. Purple is -20Fs and dark blue -10Fs. I can't recall ever seeing the -20F 2m isotherm over me.

post-3-0-38214900-1387148939_thumb.png

post-3-0-84750400-1387148938_thumb.png

I hope the clouds hold off a bit until 11-12z. The rad spots in the foothills will have a shot at a below 0F mean on Tuesday.

ec ens have ridiculously cold 2m temps 12z Tue. Purple is -20Fs and dark blue -10Fs. I can't recall ever seeing the -20F 2m isotherm over me.

attachicon.gifecens2mcold2.PNG

attachicon.gifecens2mcoldCON.png

Does it all over again for Christmas. If that were to happen we would put up some solid negative departures this month. -4.6 and -4.7 at PWM and CON respectively.

Hopefully there will be a "make-up" event at some point for all who fell victim to the shadow.

Looking at the BTV snowfall map, it doesn't look so much like shadowing (though that's certainly part of it), but more that moisture and best lift/banding lifted NE as well.  The Adirondacks weren't supposed to get shadowed and the northern Greens got less than further south. 

Looking at the BTV snowfall map, it doesn't look so much like shadowing (though that's certainly part of it), but more that moisture and best lift/banding lifted NE as well.  The Adirondacks weren't supposed to get shadowed and the northern Greens got less than further south. 

Oh definitely the best banding went NE, but when I say shadowing I am referring to those places that got 1 or 2 just on the downslope side. Anyway speaking of bands you should have this one coming your way shortly. A nice little burst of dendrites :)

I think mesoscale lift had something to do with it, too. Over this way where we got into that deformation band, we ended with an average of 15:1 ratios. Toward the beginning it was ~12:1 with grainy flakes, but when it was dumping it was closer to that 18-20:1.

Oh nice. I didn't know the ratios were that much better over that way. Makes sense with the banding.

Oh definitely the best banding went NE, but when I say shadowing I am referring to those places that got 1 or 2 just on the downslope side. Anyway speaking of bands you should have this one coming your way shortly. A nice little burst of dendrites :)

Looks like a really blocked flow right now on radar...seems to be climo for a blocked flow to develop with a low moving more east than north from the area.

It was great to see all the reports on the board today, excellent stuff!  I hadn’t had a chance to check out the snow totals for the Vermont ski areas until now, but a north to south listing for this storm is below.  The totals generally increased as one went southward, with Stratton’s 19” topping the list:

Jay Peak: 11”

Burke: 10”

Smuggler’s Notch: 10”

Stowe: 9”

Bolton Valley: 9”

Mad River Glen: 12”

Sugarbush: 10”

Pico: 13”

Killington: 13”

Okemo: 16”

Bromley: 14”

Magic Mountain: 16”

Stratton: 19”

Mount Snow: 15”

Looks like a really blocked flow right now on radar...seems to be climo for a blocked flow to develop with a low moving more east than north from the area.

Yeah it was a nice "air fluff" few tenths on top of today's accumulation. No I didn't get the 10" I was supposed to, but I am still enjoying it! I will be taking my first turns tomorrow.

My final measurement was 11" at the house. There was at least that at the mtn. It was dry but it did have some mass to it. Not blower.

The woods are definitely not in play. Interestingly, the mid level lower angle woods are in better shape than the upper mtn. Although there was significant traffic in there. The mtn bike trails were good, although you could tell that this accumulation didn't bond in spots to the base whereas the precipitation 2 weeks ago, had a good couple of inches of styrofoam with lighter snow on top. Luckily there was plenty of it.

I'm going to pass out and dream that the end of this week works out as well as the end of this past week.

Picked up 1.4" of white air last night. This is definitely the driest snow I've seen this season. You can still see the sub-surface under it but it's also just about an inch and a half deep. Mountain looks about the same if not a little less due to a slight wind disturbing the loft. Wouldn't surprise me if the upper mountain got 2-3" though but I'll hold off till I can take a look around in an hour.

Archived