joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
NNE Winter 2013-14 Part I

klw

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
We had 0.1" from yesterday's clipper. The snow this morning is nice to see.

Yeah, it’s been snowing lightly here on the UVM campus for the past hour or so and I can see that the cars outside are coated with some white.  It looks like it’s pushed into the mountains as well so there should be some dustings there as well:

18DEC13A.gif

I’m not sure of the source of the snow, but perhaps it’s associated with this tidbit in the BTV NWS discussion:

.NEAR TERM /UNTIL 7 PM THIS EVENING/...

AS OF 724 AM EST WEDNESDAY...RELATIVELY QUIET CONDITIONS TODAY. A WEAK MID-LEVEL SHORTWAVE TROUGH EVIDENT IN IR/WV IMAGERY ACROSS CENTRAL PA/NY WILL TRANSLATE ENEWD ACROSS THE NORTH COUNTRY LATE THIS MORNING. THIS SYSTEM WILL MAINTAIN MOSTLY CLOUDY TO CLOUDY SKIES...WITH A SLIGHT CHANCE OF SNOW SHOWERS/FLURRIES IN THE VALLEYS AND A 30 POP FOR FLURRIES OR A BRIEF SNOW SHOWER ACROSS THE MTNS (MAINLY MID- TO- LATE MORNING).

Yeah, it’s been snowing lightly here on the UVM campus for the past hour or so and I can see that the cars outside are coated with some white.  It looks like it’s pushed into the mountains as well so there should be some dustings there as well:

18DEC13A.gif

I’m not sure of the source of the snow, but perhaps it’s associated with this tidbit in the BTV NWS discussion:

.NEAR TERM /UNTIL 7 PM THIS EVENING/...

AS OF 724 AM EST WEDNESDAY...RELATIVELY QUIET CONDITIONS TODAY. A WEAK MID-LEVEL SHORTWAVE TROUGH EVIDENT IN IR/WV IMAGERY ACROSS CENTRAL PA/NY WILL TRANSLATE ENEWD ACROSS THE NORTH COUNTRY LATE THIS MORNING. THIS SYSTEM WILL MAINTAIN MOSTLY CLOUDY TO CLOUDY SKIES...WITH A SLIGHT CHANCE OF SNOW SHOWERS/FLURRIES IN THE VALLEYS AND A 30 POP FOR FLURRIES OR A BRIEF SNOW SHOWER ACROSS THE MTNS (MAINLY MID- TO- LATE MORNING).

0.2" so far from today's snow showers (so already better than yesterday LOL).

its wednesday so time for me to start thinking about driving up.  friday night shouldnt be horrible, although saturday morning might be better, but that would kill skiing saturday.  thoughts?

keeping the fingers crossed for saturday night-sunday.

Hitman, you’re typically a Mad River Valley skier?  Currently, chances for pure snow through Saturday look better and better the farther north one heads into the Northern Greens (for example the current point forecast for Jay Peak is entirely snow, and snowfall numbers go up in line with the map that PyroCu posted) but here’s the point forecast for Mount Ellen:

• Friday Snow likely before 11am, then snow and sleet likely between 11am and noon, then sleet likely after noon. Cloudy, with a high near 28. Southwest wind 7 to 14 mph becoming northwest in the afternoon. Chance of precipitation is 70%. New snow and sleet accumulation of less than one inch possible.
  • Friday Night Sleet likely before 1am, then snow likely. Cloudy, with a low around 25. West wind 6 to 11 mph becoming light south after midnight. Chance of precipitation is 60%. New precipitation amounts of less than a tenth of an inch possible.
  • Saturday A chance of snow before 1pm, then a chance of snow and sleet. Cloudy, with a high near 33. West wind 5 to 8 mph. Chance of precipitation is 40%.

I’ve got Saturday pegged as a potentially nice ski day at the moment based on the way conditions have been, and I don’t think that holiday visitors are in play yet at that point.  That’s from a purely skiing perspective; I’ll have to let some of the other guys comment on the driving, which covers a much bigger area.

Anyone noticing the potential for Ice Storm activity this weekend across NNE??? Models currently show a nice setup! All depends on Cold Air Damming. 

Thoughts?

Its being discussed over in one of the other threads and it could potentially have serious affects around here ala 1998

Hitman, you’re typically a Mad River Valley skier?  Currently, chances for pure snow through Saturday look better and better the farther north one heads into the Northern Greens (for example the current point forecast for Jay Peak is entirely snow, and snowfall numbers go up in line with the map that PyroCu posted) but here’s the point forecast for Mount Ellen:

• Friday Snow likely before 11am, then snow and sleet likely between 11am and noon, then sleet likely after noon. Cloudy, with a high near 28. Southwest wind 7 to 14 mph becoming northwest in the afternoon. Chance of precipitation is 70%. New snow and sleet accumulation of less than one inch possible.
  • Friday Night Sleet likely before 1am, then snow likely. Cloudy, with a low around 25. West wind 6 to 11 mph becoming light south after midnight. Chance of precipitation is 60%. New precipitation amounts of less than a tenth of an inch possible.
  • Saturday A chance of snow before 1pm, then a chance of snow and sleet. Cloudy, with a high near 33. West wind 5 to 8 mph. Chance of precipitation is 40%.

I’ve got Saturday pegged as a potentially nice ski day at the moment based on the way conditions have been, and I don’t think that holiday visitors are in play yet at that point.  That’s from a purely skiing perspective; I’ll have to let some of the other guys comment on the driving, which covers a much bigger area.

Thanks, J.

I'll be playing around in the grids most of the night with some contingency forecasts. Basically try different methods of ice accretion and see what I get. Thankfully it's quiet tonight.

Tough situation, You want to raise public awareness of the potential but you don't want to send them into panic mode either, Bringing up anything related to 1998 would certainly raise the panic level for some, Were you around the NE for that event? Will be interesting to see what you come up with based on current data

Tough situation, You want to raise public awareness of the potential but you don't want to send them into panic mode either, Bringing up anything related to 1998 would certainly raise the panic level for some, Were you around the NE for that event? Will be interesting to see what you come up with based on current data

Baking away in RI. But I studied SNE ice storm climatology for my thesis, so I'm very familiar with it.

Archived