Toothache
    Newest Member
    Toothache
Potential Thanksgiving Event

strongwxnc

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think he was talking about the front end winter weather. Still shows it on the new gfs.

Where at? I'm not seeing it at all, but I could have missed it. Even if there is some, I'm thinking it won't amount to much.

EDIT: Nevermind, I see it now.

https://t.co/r1MdxR11yy, gsp office latest YouTube video.

Almost makes this out to be a non event outside of the mountains. I still struggle with how much dynamic cooling will take place for tuesday am. It is bone dry out there. Really happy to see the precip totals ramp up though. This thing just keeps getting juicier by the run.

Lookout,

After further close examination this last 30 minutes, I now may be coming more to your side. Here's why: 1. My earlier comments about the 925's not being colder than the 850's were based on the 6z gfs. However, the 12z gfs actually does have cooler 925's than 850's at the start of precip. in virtually all N GA locations and that even lasts into at least a few hours of the precip! So, that's indicative of in situ wedging and a possible stable cold layer near the sfc. 2. I was wrong about the 850's at the start of the precip. I had thought they were in the 6-7C range. Well, they do get to 6-7C pretty quickly but they do, as you said, start mainly at 4-5C. So, that is actually near historical parameters for sig. ZR. Moreover, even though they rise pretty quickly, they largely level off in the 7-8 C range with much (and we're talking significant amounts like near an inch) of the precip. having already fallen. Historically, major ZR has been maintained as long as 850's stayed below about 8C in our area. 3. Wetbulbs are near 31F at the start of precip. So, that does say zr is possible if there's no waa or warm air dragged down from above.

So, for these reasons, I have suddenly changed my position totally from very doubtful of any ice at Atl-Ahn and with only a little sleet near the start to thinking some ZR is a realistic possibility and with an outside shot at something significant. So, I'm now in the watching carefully mode of FFC and yourself/others as long as gfs runs continue to look like today's 12z.

Edit: That being said, the overall setup is really lousy looking vs. most history as Tony implies. So, I don't know. Some lousy looking situations as Lookout implied still had sig. ZR.

Edit #2: 1. I forgot to mention that another historical parameter for sig. ZR that night/the next day, highs the day before not getting above 45 would be met IF the 12 z gfs is not showing a cold bias. It has highs of 43-45.

2. The 12z Euro is coming in colder and with more wedging than the 0z gfs. The 2 meter temp.'s are still too warm (high 30's), but the Euro has a very pronounced warm bias at 2 meters. It is often too warm by 5-10 F during the winter when there is precip. falling in our area. The important thing is that the 12z trend on the Euro is definitely colder and more wedgey.

This is why I love cad so much.  It just confounds.  It's wait until the rain is falling, and take a flashlight to the tree tops time, lol.  I doubt there is anything more entertaining than cad, when it comes to will it/won't it.  Is it deep enough, is it cold enough, does it stretch far enough into the state,where will the waa erode it to? Will Tony get his sleet, or will that damn warm nose ruin his fun with zrain, or cold rain.  Even game time predictions are often wrong, lol.  I hope this is the start of a fun, confounding winter, with several no doubt calls just to ease the angst!  Tony

The above quote was referring to tomorrow's highs. Regarding today, it has already hit 47 at ATL and AHN at 2 PM today as compared to the 12Z gfs' forecast highs of only 45. So, its cold bias is already showing for today and raises caution flags that tomorrow's GFS forecasted highs of 44-45 may be a few degrees too cold. If so, it would get into the high 40's tomorrow instead of mid 40's. Based on history, that would make it quite a bit more difficult to get ZR of any significance into the main CAD areas of N GA the following night/day (Mon. night- Tuesday) due to more cooling needed to get to 32. We'll see. Mon. night/Tuesday's precip. type forecast is admittedly a very tough one with this rather unique setup. that makes for fun in forecasting and following how forecasts verify.

Yeah, Ptree City has me for 48 tomorrow, and 38 at night, so the cad isn't going to be in here with much strength.  I'd need to see 35 at onset, to cool down enough as the rain falls.  Beauty of cad though is we won't know until it falls for sure :)  If I don't get over 42 or 43 tomorrow, I'll be more encouraged, by any gifts Goofy is promoting.  It would help if that heat machine would cruise by further south, and it's mini me, if there is a mini me, too.  Tony

FWIW, RAH isn't just calling for rain, Brick.  I see mentions of snow, sleet, and freezing rain littered throughout my point forecast Monday night-Wednesday night...

OK, I just saw that update from RAH that someone posted recently, and the graphic showed all rain for central NC. I don't care if it is just a little bit, I just want to see some snow and not just have all rain. Going back and reading the posts throughout today, it looks like the GFS is still giving central NC some snow.

The GFS and Euro both give my area a nice 2-4 inch hit Tuesday into Wednesday. I'd settle for 1/2 that. JKL is saying SEKY will at minimum see 1 inch, with 2-4/3-5 not out of the question. They are predicting 6-9 hours of heavy snow with the trailing low. MRX says 3-6 in their highest elevations, with 1-2 basically north of I-40, with more upslope likely than they had been predicting.

The GFS and Euro both give my area a nice 2-4 inch hit Tuesday into Wednesday. I'd settle for 1/2 that. JKL is saying SEKY will at minimum see 1 inch, with 2-4/3-5 not out of the question. They are predicting 6-9 hours of heavy snow with the trailing low. MRX says 3-6 in their highest elevations, with 1-2 basically north of I-40, with more upslope likely than they had been predicting.

All I really want is just to see the ground white on Thanksgiving! Normally in these types of situations it takes longer to change over to snow than modeled. Hopefully the storm will be amped enough to make the transition quick. The more phased solution should really help the favored western facing slopes get some good upslope snow even though it may not last all the long.

All I really want is just to see the ground white on Thanksgiving! Normally in these types of situations it takes longer to change over to snow than modeled. Hopefully the storm will be amped enough to make the transition quick. The more phased solution should really help the favored western facing slopes get some good upslope snow even though it may not last all the long.

Yeah, the changeover does seem to take longer, I get to watch it creep down the mountain towards me often. 500 feet makes a major difference sometimes.

I agree this looks like this could be a significant event especially for the upslope areas. Here in Haywood looks like we will see it all.

Archived