Toothache
    Newest Member
    Toothache
Potential Thanksgiving Event

strongwxnc

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

MRX mentions this morning that the models trended colder, faster, they have moved my change over time from 1 am to 8-11pm. 850s look to be crashing into East TN by around that time with the freezing line at 2m following quickly behind. 

It's still looking pretty good per the 00z GFS and 00z NAM. I don't have info on the Euro of course, but 2 out of 3 isn't bad.

This is for East TN to the NC/SC line. Also it looks like the Smoky Mountains may fare well out of this and pick up 6" or more. Nam is giving Knoxville 2", GFS a little over 1". If we got just a dusting I'd be happy.

This first cold shot certainly helped my ground temps. 18 yesterday morning, high of 32 yesterday afternoon, fell to 22 by 10 pm and have been sitting there ever since. The ground will get wet Tuesday but the high is only going to be near 40 here the next two days, the fast temp drops and moderate snow should help get a quick coating on my way to hopefully 1-2 inches into Wednesday morning.

GSP

...my confidence that we will see a damaging ice event develop anywhere along the Escarpment is 50/50 at best...not enough to upgrade the current watch to a warning. The watch will be left in place...while a Winter Weather Advisory will be issued for much of the remaining Blue Ridge areas...as well as the foothills of NC. 

This first cold shot certainly helped my ground temps. 18 yesterday morning, high of 32 yesterday afternoon, fell to 22 by 10 pm and have been sitting there ever since. The ground will get wet Tuesday but the high is only going to be near 40 here the next two days, the fast temp drops and moderate snow should help get a quick coating on my way to hopefully 1-2 inches into Wednesday morning.

The ground is going to be soaked. Last year we got a good bit of rain before the 2" afternoon 30 minute thump that snarled up rush hour. If it snows heavy enough, it'll stick. Here I doubt it'll stick to anything besides the grass and rooftops here. I have to also drive home on I40 to I75 and I59 on Wed. Morning but as long as the temps are in the low to mid 30s I'll be fine. I'm just glad I don't have to head north on I75 at that ridge.

I'm at 1150' in Knox County, so best of luck!

From NEW ORLEANS of all places...

COLD AIR MAY FILTER INTO THE AREA LATE TUESDAY NIGHT. MOISTURE IS
EXPECTED TO THE PUSH EAST AS THE LOW PULLS EAST. HOWEVER...NEAR
FREEZING TEMPERATURES AND MOISTURE MAY BE IN PLAY AND YIELD RAIN
MIXED WITH FROZEN PRECIPITATION LATE TUESDAY INTO EARLY WEDNESDAY
MORNING. AT THIS TIME...NO ACCUMULATION OF FROZEN PRECIPITATION
IS EXPECTED WITH THIS WEATHER EVENT BUT PLEASE STAY TUNED TO LATER
FORECASTS.

http://www.daculaweather.com/4_hpc_qpf_disco.php and snow disco: http://www.daculaweather.com/4_hpc_snow_disco.php (Kocin is forecaster)

REGARDING DETAILS...EXPECT WIDESPREAD CONVECTION TO ACCOMPANY THE
COLD FRONTAL PASSAGE ACROSS THE SOUTHEAST AND FLORIDA...WITH PW
ANOMALIES NEARING 2.5 TO 3.0 STANDARD DEVIATIONS ABOVE
NORMAL...WITH THE NAM CONUS NEST PROVIDING A REALISTIC DEPICTION
OF WHAT'S EXPECTED FROM A QPF PERSPECTIVE. FARTHER NORTH...THE
DEVELOPING BUT INITIALLY FRACTURED FRONTAL SYSTEM WITH 2 STREAMS
FORMING FROM THE OHIO VALLEY ACROSS AND INTO THE LEE OF THE
APPALACHIANS WILL BECOME ANOTHER TARGET AREA FOR HEAVY
TOTALS...DUE TO A COMBINATION OF HIGH RATES AND LONG DURATION WITH
THE AMPLIFYING PATTERN. MOISTURE FLUX ANOMALIES FROM THE NAM
REACH THE TOP OF THE CHARTS ACROSS THE MID-ATLANTIC AND NORTHEAST
COAST...WITH PW VALUES NEAR 1.5 INCHES AND 850 MB FLOW REACHING
50-85 KNOTS. ADD TO IT CYCLONIC...ONSHORE...AND UPSLOPE WIND
COMPONENTS...AND THE ASCENT PROFILES BECOME EXTREMELY LARGE.
AGAIN...RELIED IN MODEST MEASURE ON THE NAM...EXCEPT TO TONE DOWN
THE AMOUNTS NEAR ITS LOW POSITION OVER NEW YORK...AS THEY WERE
ONLY WEAKLY SUPPORTED AT BEST BY OTHER GUIDANCE. OTHERWISE...THE
GFS WAS ALSO USED. THE MODEL RECEIVING THE LEAST CONSIDERATION
WAS THE 12Z ECMWF...WHICH WAS FAR TOO SLOW WITH THE SOUTHERN
STREAM...WITH THE 00Z VERSION SPEEDING UP AND THEREFORE CONFIRMING
THE MODEL CHOICES. 

One thing that needs to be discussed more fully outside of the wintery precipitation is the potential for extremely heavy rains. As WPC noted, a strong LLJ and moisture flux will create long periods of deep ascent. We could have flooding issues before the cold air crashes in and creates an incredible mess Wednesday morning. It seems that 3-5" of widespread rain falling in 12-18 hours is likely. With the recent cold snap and long dry fall season, runoff potential is high. Expect rapid rises on streams and rivers.

Winds will also sharply increase Wednesday morning. I expect power outages and downed trees across many areas, especially the mountains. Be careful!

Sent from my steam-powered printing press.

Man, some of you are going to have a nice pre-winter event, wish I was going to be in the mountains!

http://www.daculaweather.com/4_wpc_winter_graphical.php

Ya Steve not really looking forward to the ice we are going to see. We have a freezing rain advisory out for quite a few areas. I posted the advisory in the Mountain thread. Looks like we could see snow, sleet, and then freezing rain on the front end then a good duration of snow on the backend.

One thing that needs to be discussed more fully outside of the wintery precipitation is the potential for extremely heavy rains. As WPC noted, a strong LLJ and moisture flux will create long periods of deep ascent. We could have flooding issues before the cold air crashes in and creates an incredible mess Wednesday morning. It seems that 3-5" of widespread rain falling in 12-18 hours is likely. With the recent cold snap and long dry fall season, runoff potential is high. Expect rapid rises on streams and rivers. Winds will also sharply increase Wednesday morning. I expect power outages and downed trees across many areas, especially the mountains. Be careful! Sent from my steam-powered printing press.

Ya this seems this is going to have a big problem here around the mountains. We could go from ice to heavy rain to heavy snow in about 48 hours.

SENIOR DUTY METEOROLOGIST NWS ADMINISTRATIVE MESSAGE
NWS NCEP CENTRAL OPERATIONS COLLEGE PARK MD
1324Z MON NOV 25 2013

12Z NAM RAOB RECAP...

70231/MCG - 10142.
76805/ACA - 10142.
78866/SXM - 10142.
72562/LBF - MISSING PART B.
78016/BDA - MISSING PART B.
72214/TAE - NOT AVAILABLE.

CRITICAL WEATHER DAY STATUS...

NCEP DOES ANTICIPATE A CWD WILL BE PUT IN PLACE BEGINNING LATER
TODAY AND RUN INTO THANKSGIVING DAY..DUE TO THE THREAT FOR WINTER
STORM CONDITIONS IMPACTING SEVERAL NWS REGIONS DURING THIS

PERIOD...REGIONAL COORDINATION WILL BE TAKING PLACE SHORTLY..MORE
INFO WILL BE SEND IN THE NEXT HR OR TWO..

Models seem to be consistently showing 1 to 3 inches of snow even in the central valley of east TN by Wed morning.  Latest NAM is more agressive with a little over 3, Euro about 2, GFS about 1.  I imagine the plateau and mountains will cash in nicely.  This is pretty entertaining for November.

Models seem to be consistently showing 1 to 3 inches of snow even in the central valley of east TN by Wed morning.  Latest NAM is more agressive with a little over 3, Euro about 2, GFS about 1.  I imagine the plateau and mountains will cash in nicely.  This is pretty entertaining for November.

Ya I am really getting excited about seeing some significant snow here in the mountains. I think the models are underdoing the accumulation in the upslope regions also as they usually do. I could really care less about the ice but we do need the rain.

One thing that needs to be discussed more fully outside of the wintery precipitation is the potential for extremely heavy rains. As WPC noted, a strong LLJ and moisture flux will create long periods of deep ascent. We could have flooding issues before the cold air crashes in and creates an incredible mess Wednesday morning. It seems that 3-5" of widespread rain falling in 12-18 hours is likely. With the recent cold snap and long dry fall season, runoff potential is high. Expect rapid rises on streams and rivers. Winds will also sharply increase Wednesday morning. I expect power outages and downed trees across many areas, especially the mountains. Be careful! Sent from my steam-powered printing press.

100% agree, I expect that areas in the mountains and foothills could see upwards of 3-5 inches of rain, especially along favored upslope areas. Winds are going to back towards the southeast, which will help to funnel in copious amounts of moisture. I have increased my rain totals forecast, and I suspect that I may have underdone some areas, especially along the Blue Ridge. Once the winds increase, with the very wet grounds, trees could be falling all over the place.

Slide4.GIF

Source: http://www.wxjordan.com/weather/forecast/217-monday-update-storm-approaching-area-for-tuesday

A good upslope event could also be on tap for the mountains. I was looking at Skew-Ts last night, and the GFS has temperatures decreasing nearly at the dry adiabatic lapse rate at a location in near I-40 along the Tennessee/NC border. The northwest winds could be a touch stronger; however, I believe the mountains could see some good upslope snow showers.

Outside of the mountains I am not nearly as optimistic..

NAM trended drier for NC folks with the back end snow. Looking at the Hi-Res comp. radar it doesn't look good even for flurries  :yikes:

Seems to match up with Matthew East's video this morning. Looks like any potential snow flakage at the end may not be a big deal outside the mountains.

Well, that stinks. I didn't expect much, but I wanted to see some snow. Nothing worse than cold, miserable rain.

Compare that to some of the runs lately... some bring the LP in too far west. But *If* the surface LP, warmfront stays off to the east then I could see most of the moisture along the coast with almost guarantee a insitu-cad setup and will lock in... keeping temps colder than what guidance is showing.

I know this is not a true miller b setup... but a hybrid of miller a/b. But I could very well see this will cause with heavy precip in the mountains and more along the immediate coast. More than the models have been able to grip ahold.

1014 mb low now in the Gulf, with pretty strong CAD:

http://www.daculaweather.com/4_spc_meso_analysis_18.php

SENIOR DUTY METEOROLOGIST NWS ADMINISTRATIVE MESSAGE
NWS NCEP CENTRAL OPERATIONS COLLEGE PARK MD
1458Z MON NOV 25 2013

12Z GFS BEGAN ON TIME.

12Z RAOB RECAP...

70231/MCG - 10142.
76805/ACA - 10142.
78866/SXM - 10142.
72562/LBF - MISSING PART B..FULL REPORT IN FOR THE GFS.
78016/BDA - MISSING PART B..FULL REPORT IN FOR THE GFS.
72214/TAE - NOT AVAILABLE.

CRITICAL WEATHER DAY ...POTENTAL WINTER STORM/HVY RNFL

CWD WILL BE IN PLACE FROM 18Z TODAY UNTIL 00Z THURS (27/0000Z).
CWD PARTICIPANTS INCLUDE.. NCF..TOC..NCEP.. NWS REGIONS
..CENTRAL..SOUTHERN..EASTERN REGIONS.

NEWBY/SDM/NCO/NCEP

Archived