Toothache
    Newest Member
    Toothache
Potential Thanksgiving Event

strongwxnc

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

What usually causes that during ULL events is a combination of downsloping winds coming off the Blue Ridge, and a tendency for a nose of warm air to get trapped along the escarpment.

We live in such an interesting micro-climate.  The mountains will work in our favor early Tuesday morning to trap in the cold air; i.e., CAD.  Then on Wednesday, the mountains will work against us as they trap in the warm air and don't allow the cold air to penetrate all levels of the atmosphere soon enough.  It's quite intricate how this all works together.

You're right, the precip map sure does not reflect this shadow.  Possibly a warm nose which would make it sleet instead of snow?  The only thing I can think of.

maybe a little downslope affect? sounds odd i know, but the areas subject to downsloping are also the ones without much snow.  and since the temps are sort of marginal anyway (when arent they in the se lol) it wouldnt take but a degree or so to throw a wrench into the snow potential

also the infamous warm bubble could be there where the taller mtns to our left screw us by holding the cold air back just long enough for a royal kick in the butt

edited to add:

What usually causes that during ULL events is a combination of downsloping winds coming off the Blue Ridge, and a tendency for a nose of warm air to get trapped along the escarpment.

We live in such an interesting micro-climate.  The mountains will work in our favor early Tuesday morning to trap in the cold air; i.e., CAD.  Then on Wednesday, the mountains will work against us as they trap in the warm air and don't allow the cold air to penetrate all levels of the atmosphere soon enough.  It's quite intricate how this all works together.

bingo!!

Archived