amirah5
    Newest Member
    amirah5
December and a Hint of January Pattern Discussion

Bob Chill

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

euru ensembles have a trailing wave as well. There's precip into our area on the means but temps are highly suspect. I'm out for now .

Happy hour is about the same as 12z for the trailing wave.  Maybe ever so slightly closer to the coast.  Euro Op was a total punt.  Nice to hear the ensembles might have something, but yeah, even with cold 850s, surface temps could be a problem given this comes right after torchmageddon.   

Canadian looks like a bunch of pluie to me. 

GFS hell bent on some sort of storm on nye. Now we're down inside of 290 hours. Gettin close...

If there is a storm on or around that timeframe and the gfs never really loses it for more than a day or 2 then I'm going to be impressed. Even if it's a rainstorm I'll still be impressed. 

GFS is also bent on dropping down the pv into a more friendly area for us. We'll see how that goes. 

All in. Down for a trailing end snowy surprise on Christmas Eve. I say lock it. Lock it and throw away the key.

When people say the GFS is hellbent on a NYE storm, does that mean just a good 1-5 inch storm, or something memorable? (I know its far enough out, but I like to torture myself with unreasonable expectations)

All in. Down for a trailing end snowy surprise on Christmas Eve. I say lock it. Lock it and throw away the key.

When people say the GFS is hellbent on a NYE storm, does that mean just a good 1-5 inch storm, or something memorable? (I know its far enough out, but I like to torture myself with unreasonable expectations)

Too early for that but it would be a nice birthday present if we get a snowstorm.

You're new here so i'll shed some light. You'll see us talk about storm signals at long lead times. It only means there seems to be a model trend and overall pattern that supports a storm. Could be any precip type or nothing at all. We usually only talk about them when there is a "chance" that it could have frozen precip if it happens at all.

The short story is anything outside of 7 days shouldn't have any real expectations. Especially how much and what type.

IMO it appears that the odds favor a storm during this period. And the pattern doesn't favor a decent snow unless we get lucky.

You're new here so i'll shed some light. You'll see us talk about storm signals at long lead times. It only means there seems to be a model trend and overall pattern that supports a storm. Could be any precip type or nothing at all. We usually only talk about them when there is a "chance" that it could have frozen precip if it happens at all.

The short story is anything outside of 7 days shouldn't have any real expectations. Especially how much and what type.

IMO it appears that the odds favor a storm during this period. And the pattern doesn't favor a decent snow unless we get lucky.

Good points.  Yes, we usually look for something in the pattern that can "support" a storm, details aside.  If the GFS is cranking up a big coastal but it doesn't really jive with the upper air features, that's a red flag.  But in this case, it does seem to support some kind of event and it's been hitting that time period for several cycles now.  In the end it could be crap here, or maybe something decent...those are the details to hammer out later.  It's encouraging though, and I'm cautiously optimistic by what the GFS is showing as we close out December and enter January.  We'll see, but I'm just glad to not see a persistent huge SE ridge that won't go away, or otherwise something that says "hell with this, wake me up when it gets interesting!"

euru ensembles have a trailing wave as well. There's precip into our area on the means but temps are highly suspect. I'm out for now .

"highly suspect" because temps support snow but you ain't buying it or "highly suspect" because you don't think temps would support snow verbatim on the ensembles?

Despite the surprising consistency of the GFS op for such a timelead, the ensembles still show a wide range of solutions.  A few do look a fair bit like the Op, but others certainly don't.  The one consistent thing is that the pattern becomes quite a bit more active by next weekend with an active southern stream.  18z GEFS also has a nice ridge-bridge over the pole for much of the run.  So, signs of blocking at the pole starting to show up. 

"highly suspect" because temps support snow but you ain't buying it or "highly suspect" because you don't think temps would support snow verbatim on the ensembles?

Precip is light and temps are borderline at best. But it's the mean so who knows. Slow moving front on the heels of a scorched earth weekend and so so cold behind gives me little confidence of supporting snow.

Precip is light and temps are borderline at best. But it's the mean so who knows. Slow moving front on the heels of a scorched earth weekend and so so cold behind gives me little confidence of supporting snow.

that's what I thought you meant but just wanted to be certain before I have you served    :P

Thanks, I'm here to learn. Though I do love to dig myself into these storms some 12 days prior to events, just to make the disappointment all more real.

hey, anybody in the mood to worry?

how about considering the .64 degrees C drop in max temp in just the last 4 days of that warm pool in the N PAC that's supporting our -EPO ridge?

today:

http://weather.unisys.com/surface/sst_anom.gif

12/15:

http://weather.unisys.com/archive/sst/sst_anom-131215.gif

Thanks for the great news!!!

Archived