amirah5
    Newest Member
    amirah5
December and a Hint of January Pattern Discussion

Bob Chill

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I didn't see this posted anywhere and thought maybe this might be the best place to put it...but this is pretty good news for DC snowlovers by way of good snow totals for I-95 cities to your north: http://www.americanwx.com/bb/index.php/topic/41600-winter-2013-14-medium-range-discussion/?p=2557661

honestly...I love Don, but that is just about the most randomly trivial, statistically insignificant thing he could have posted...especially with the caveat that every year in his sample had more snow in December than DCA this season so far..thanks for posting though...

honestly...I love Don, but that is just about the most randomly trivial, statistically insignificant thing he could have posted...especially with the caveat that every year in his sample had more snow in December than DCA this season so far..thanks for posting though...

Why that worked for DC could probably be explained for a past climate-- a snowy December for Philly, NYC, and Boston used to always include above average December snow for DC too because we used to not be that far off from the general Mid-Atlantic snow climate. I'm sure there are similar statements we could make that started like: "Whenever Philadelphia, Baltimore, and DC had 6+" snow for _________, Richmond also had _______." Then Richmond fell off the Richmond-Baltimore corridor for snow climatology, and now we've fallen off the DC-Philadelphia corridor for snow climatology. 

Maybe whatever is supposed to show up around New Year's happens for DC on Dec. 31.

Although not sure if this winter has an analog.

Wasn't 02-03 a really good winter up here?

It was good but there wasn't flooding rains after an epic dump.

I had friends calling me when i was in CO talking about the huge snow. Even being out on the Rockies I was still a little jealous. Big snows in our area will always be special no matter where I live. I just hope I see another one before its too late.

Euro ensembles decent from Xmas - new year. Pna ridge favorable and temps mostly aob through the end of the run. A good track wirh a ns vort could give us something modest. Still looks like anything wound up goes West without a good bit of luck and timing.

I don't see the temps being much below normal, I still like what I wrote yesterday about the pattern bet at least one of those days ends up above normal as a low tracks across the lakes.  I actually think our chances of getting an inch during the week may be slightly below normal because of the positive NAO.  It's a pattern that might give our western guys some love but probably gives us heartburn with a mix our best hope unless we get a clipper dusting like last night.   

yeah..It has pretty much gone according to plan for me for DC metro, and you for DC as well...mangled, mixy events....I wouldn't necessarily have predicted 2 moderate events for the far NW areas, but it isn't rare for December..At some point I may start a thread listing some of the events, just to jog some memories...still nice to get a couple of events, even here in the city

Yeah, we definitely were rocking there for the NW guys from an extraordinarily active flow. We had a very high frequency of high amplitude waves for December. At one point, I counted 7, which is extremely abnormal. This tempered the storm track and generally prevented full-blown cutters. That active wave train now has left us and is over in the eastern hemisphere (and hence the abnormal snow out there). It will return here soon along with an enhanced STJ but the cold air looks to be the big problem. While I was aware of this issue back when I made the original storm call, I felt there would be enough EPO presence to allow for a widespread mess from the Midwest to the East. This is turning out to be wrong. Oh well...

I'm looking forward to the stats/info if you decide to post it.

I don't see the temps being much below normal, I still like what I wrote yesterday about the pattern bet at least one of those days ends up above normal as a low tracks across the lakes. I actually think our chances of getting an inch during the week may be slightly below normal because of the positive NAO. It's a pattern that might give our western guys some love but probably gives us heartburn with a mix our best hope unless we get a clipper dusting like last night.

2m ens mean temp anoms show modest below normal from the 27th - 1st. Coldest anomalies centered in NE. But I agree, no block means warm ups prior to frontal passages. Ens mean won't pick that up at all. JB says 1983 cold though. He might need new glasses.

I have no idea how accurate the weeklies are but the latest run shows basically the same pattern post christmas through mid Jan. Ridging west, tough centered over the great lakes, and no block. I'll penny and nickel my way to climo! lol

Euro ensembles decent from Xmas - new year. Pna ridge favorable and temps mostly aob through the end of the run. A good track wirh a ns vort could give us something modest. Still looks like anything wound up goes West without a good bit of luck and timing.

I was all like 

jimmy-fallon.gif

But then

I don't see the temps being much below normal, I still like what I wrote yesterday about the pattern bet at least one of those days ends up above normal as a low tracks across the lakes.  I actually think our chances of getting an inch during the week may be slightly below normal because of the positive NAO.  It's a pattern that might give our western guys some love but probably gives us heartburn with a mix our best hope unless we get a clipper dusting like last night.   

349.gif

I think we're out of the game until like Jan 10.

LOL tracker.

I wasn't trying to imply cold. Just seasonal with a potential bias for cooler than norm. Basically I re-iterated what the euro ens mean was showing.

We're in late Dec now. Seasonal temps can get the job done if the storm track cooperates in some fashion or another. I'm less than thrilled at the looks we're getting but it's not snow cancel at least. Good luck has to eventually stop losing to bad luck. Next year is pointing towards a nino...

post-2035-0-43813300-1387381623_thumb.jp

Archived