e46ds1x
    Newest Member
    e46ds1x
Winter 13-14' Med/Long Range Discussion

Chicago Storm

• Replies 973
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I wouldn't mind it if a contest was set up to forecast the overnight low temps for areas in this subforum for Monday Tuesday and Wednesday morning.  I may be working long hours so I won't be able to monitor it, so if some one else would like to take ownership of it that would be fine with me.

I would suggest two things.  The first would be to include Duluth,MSP, EAU Madison and ARX.  As a bonus question I think guessing the lows for Embarrrass MN for those mornings might be fun.

Yeah...can do without a repeat of that.

Right!!! It was even worse in my neck of the woods. 78.2" of snow that winter imby...1.8" of which came from the infamous NYE snowstorm that buried dmc's neck of the woods in 16"+ of snow. Its still like nails on a chalkboard to me, and thats coming in an epic winter. I cant imagine the pain had it been one of those winters where it was the only big storm. Its brought up a hundred times every year, and its understandable because it was one hell of a snowstorm for the northern burbs, but I cant think of any storm Id rather forget more than that one!

the GFS has had that for a few days now, it just varies in strength and certainly track run to run. Certainly something to watch

Wow, is this the clipper that ushers in the arctic air that JB is talking about? He's been saying that next weekend looks very cold in the east (as have many of the mets on this board).

Right!!! It was even worse in my neck of the woods. 78.2" of snow that winter imby...1.8" of which came from the infamous NYE snowstorm that buried dmc's neck of the woods in 16"+ of snow. Its still like nails on a chalkboard to me, and thats coming in an epic winter. I cant imagine the pain had it been one of those winters where it was the only big storm. Its brought up a hundred times every year, and its understandable because it was one hell of a snowstorm for the northern burbs, but I cant think of any storm Id rather forget more than that one!

Best storm. Picked up nearly a foot in Rochester Hills.

Best storm. Picked up nearly a foot in Rochester Hills.

New Years eve storm rocked in Novi, I was in Oakland county from Mar 05 to June 08.

Sent from my HTC6435LVW

I remember going to bed at 2:00 with a 2" OTG and waking up during a thunder-snow at 5:30 with the most heaviest snow I have ever seen with 10"+ OTG. It was amazing. Wish I wasn't so buzzed that night could have stayed up for the whole event. 

I wonder if it will get as cold as January 1994 or 2004? JB showed some analogs and one of the years coming up on some computer guidance he showed was 1994.

Funny you mention those two months, because I've been thinking a bit about the 1994-1995 winter here in southern Ontario. I don't remember the cold but something I recall was this interesting ice event sometime during that winter I think (not 100%). Do you know of anything ice related during that winter? I checked January 2004 earlier this year and couldn't believe how cold it was! I remembered it but the whole month was incredible and among the coldest in my life.

Bigger storm around D6 the GFS and GEM have will be quashed. EURO not the undisputed king like it used to be but I think it has the right idea given the broader upper level setup.

well it is a pretty fun one on the 6z GFS. That would slam Detroit. Anyway, these GFS runs are in fact inconsistent with yesterday's GFS runs.

Modeling has sucked for for weeks. Just not the Euro. The cold biases and northwest trends have gotten rediculous. I wouldn't be surprised the rain storm doesn't make it further west than what the models suspect this weekend. 

Cold biases? The euro kept showing a day 7-10 epic torch for almost 2 straight weeks, there were no cold biases.

Archived