Gonzalo00
    Newest Member
    Gonzalo00
Winter 13-14' Med/Long Range Discussion

Chicago Storm

• Replies 973
  • Created
  • Last Reply

when it gets this bad, I loop an 0z run in the morning, try not to fall asleep as it runs, and move on.

Even the ensembles look horrible.  I mean usually you can find one or two fantasy panels in the LR....there is NOTHING...a few phantom storms in the 10 day plus but they are all well east of here.     

You're right, you have one of the worst winter climos when not dealing with a major storm like GHD, and one of the best summer climos around.

Haha. I love the climatology around here, especially with being near the lake. Only thing that would be nice is better t-storm activity in the spring - lake likes to kill it often enough.

Yeah I love the climo around here.  Get to see all extreme aspects of weather.  Intense heat and very high humidity in the summer, with usually a day or two with dews near 80.  Also have the potential to see -20 to -30 type cold around here every 5-10 years.  Northern IL seems to be a hot spot for both clippers and summertime derecho activity.  Eastern Iowa and especially northwest IL seem to be a dead zone for strong tornadoes, but that's actually a good thing. 

You see the 2m temps? :yikes: That is just foul along i-70..

lol yes I took a peek.  Thing is, we've seen the GFS pull this kind of thing quite a few times over the years.  But if the indices shift around as progged then there may be a chance of something pretty impressive. 

lol yes I took a peek.  Thing is, we've seen the GFS pull this kind of thing quite a few times over the years.  But if the indices shift around as progged then there may be a chance of something pretty impressive. 

Oh i know.. I wont lie though i would rather be down that way for that vs up here where it will feel worse because of the lake influence. Not like the lake would do much anyways ( LES ) unless ofcourse you like sandy snow with the exception being if we get a north flow event.

Sorry for my bad computer skills, but Goes said this.....

"Not too shabby next Monday morning.

But definitely mighty cold after 300 hours. It's amazing how persistent the cold has been since the first week of December."

Here at MSP our average temp for December is currently running at 7.6° below average and at times this month it has been been near 10° below average. The pattern has been persistent up here, it was only a matter of time that temps would drop se from here and you guys would see these brutal cold temps.  Just a good hunch on my part, but when we get to late Feb and warmer temps start to move north you guys will get a whooper of a snow storm followed by the same thing up here in March.

Sorry for my bad computer skills, but Goes said this.....

"Not too shabby next Monday morning.

But definitely mighty cold after 300 hours. It's amazing how persistent the cold has been since the first week of December."

Here at MSP our average temp for December is currently running at 7.6° below average and at times this month it has been been near 10° below average. The pattern has been persistent up here, it was only a matter of time that temps would drop se from here and you guys would see these brutal cold temps.  Just a good hunch on my part, but when we get to late Feb and warmer temps start to move north you guys will get a whooper of a snow storm followed by the same thing up here in March.

I'm wondering if there will be a January thaw this winter. If there isn't and the snow systems keep on coming, then the snow pack could get pretty impressive.

Widespread -20° - -30°s at the end of the GFS run.

All the cold we've seen so far since November has been courtesy of the -EPO despite a strongly +AO and +NAO. With the ensembles indicating the -EPO continuing plus a -AO and +PNA developing to end December and start January, the cold has a good shot to be even more impressive. If there is enough snow cover around, wonder if we'll see some January 2009 type cold in this part of the subforum. We'll have to keep nickel and diming with clippers to keep the snow cover fresh, as +PNA pattern is typically pretty dry overall.

Ask and you shall receive. The last 3 runs were warmer though.

gfs_t2m_east_80.png

0.1% of verifying, I mean even if it has the pattern right at this range, 15 1/2 days, I doubt there would be widespread -20 to -35 temps in that region. That would be record breaking/historic stuff there.

0.1% of verifying, I mean even if it has the pattern right at this range, 15 1/2 days, I doubt there would be widespread -20 to -35 temps in that region. That would be record breaking/historic stuff there.

Yeah, I think it's going to be cold, but more likely widespread negative teens.

I'm going to be looking for that stretch of 30s pretty soon. lol

Too bad it will probably be gone on the next run but man I'd pay money to lock that in. Honestly though, if the AO/NAO goes to neutral but not too deep into the negative, and the PNA can stay around neutral or slightly negative, the Euro depiction would be completely within the realm of possibilities. The fact that so many teleconnections are forecast to be switching all at the same time would argue something decently big is going to force the pattern change.

Too bad it will probably be gone on the next run but man I'd pay money to lock that in. Honestly though, if the AO/NAO goes to neutral but not too deep into the negative, and the PNA can stay around neutral or slightly negative, the Euro depiction would be completely within the realm of possibilities. The fact that so many teleconnections are forecast to be switching all at the same time would argue something decently big is going to force the pattern change.

I am willing to bet the AO will barealy go negative.  If at all.

The models were pushing an HP poleward.

Both the Euro and GFS have trended back West again keeping it over the Western CAB/Beaufort/Canadian Arpichelago.

But have also gone back towardst the -EPO.  This is not at all suprising.

Archived