• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Second Half of October Wx Discussion?

CT Rain

I've always been curious about the weather in the highlands of NC. What's your average snowfall/yr? I would think your area and higher up probably does better on average than the majority of the DCA-NYC-BOS I-95 corridor.

Ah sorry to get back with you so late. I was just looking back through this thread and saw this. We average anywhere from 40-50 inches per year. Last year we had 42.5 inches and it was a pretty blah winter down here.

The Boone coop averaged 39.8" per year at 3300 feet back when it was active. The nearby Banner Elk coop at 3600 feet is still active and averages 41" per year.

Grandfather Mountain at 5300 feet averages 55" per year on their coop site. I'm not 100% sure how reliable these coops are...but the Boone one when it was active appears to have kept very good snowfall data, so judging the others off that one, it appears the numbers match up with elevation change. I wouldn't be surprised if a place like Grandfather Mountain got a bit more though...or nearby peaks that might be further WNW to take advantage of upslope a little better.

Ya Will the closer you are to the boarder of TN/NC the better your averages are going to be especially with the upslope snows we get. You can drive a half mile down the road and there may be a difference of a foot of snow depending on location and elevation. Kind of like LES off the Great Lakes. You get in one of those bands locally and you can be in a mini blizzard. We had one of our poster last year that lives in Avery County just North of me that got 68 inches. The micro climate her in the mountains is pretty amazing year round.

Those NC sites compare well for avg snowfall with places in the Jersey Highlands, though I'd guess the high-elev mt sites would hold snowpack better than NNJ locations at 700-1,000 ft.

Yep if we can get sustained cold we can keep snowpack through the whole winter in most cases over 3500 feet. I remember back in 2009-10 we had snow on the ground from December through the end of March.

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Great disco going on in the Philly forum talking about the pacific right now looking like an el niño pattern

slight nino works wonders for the MA folks, hope it happens, up here who cares. Watch this month flip hard going into Dec, they are seeing it too . Its going to evolve . Those guys are certainly brilliant but like the rest of us nobody has LR figured out yet. Too many variables , lets see what shakes out.

slight nino works wonders for the MA folks, hope it happens, up here who cares. Watch this month flip hard going into Dec, they are seeing it too . Its going to evolve . Those guys are certainly brilliant but like the rest of us nobody has LR figured out yet. Too many variables , lets see what shakes out.

Ya I think after 11/15 we see the pattern flip. Cfs weeklies agree also

limiting factors look like timing and clouds/precip

yeah agree. core of the jet is offshore by 15z.

i'm just saying climo for this area and this type of set-up favors the areas i was talking about, imo. i don't think the high end of the event is all that high.

might actually be slightly "better" later in the day as the atmosphere cleans out a bit and mixing depth increases - despite the core of 950-900 mb winds well offshore by that point.

Archived