12bet1 net
    Newest Member
    12bet1 net
Second Half of October Wx Discussion?

CT Rain

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Didn't realize they both did. Interesting.

Well to clarify it may not have exactly been text book, but when these systems start to wrap colder air around the center you get the enhanced thermal gradient and sting jet. Tropopause folding is sometimes associated with this as well. In fact, I believe Ryan Maue posted a nice example of this from Sandy. Also, CAA just aloft aids in mixing. Think warm seclusion.

Well to clarify it may not have exactly been text book, but when these systems start to wrap colder air around the center you get the enhanced thermal gradient and sting jet. Tropopause folding is sometimes associated with this as well. In fact, I believe Ryan Maue posted a nice example of this from Sandy. Also, CAA just aloft aids in mixing. Think warm seclusion.

From what I've read on them they really just seem like macro-bursts on steroids, but obvious created for different causes.. the end result is the same.

Cyclone enters a period of rapid intensification (bombogenesis) and the flow becomes asymmetric/unbalanced in the mid-levels, such that the flow becomes ageostrophic. This "gulped" air into the backside is often alien to the storm structure/thermo-dynamics (drier air), causing massive parcels to rapidly evaporate their moisture content. The air contained thus becomes unstable below the isentropes and falls under gravity, freely.

I have often wondered what tropospheric folding's role played in this.  Because by definition the mixing of lower stratospheric air would also be very very dry, and causing large, rapid evaporation and unstable negative CAPE phenomenon (one would think) would almost have to occur.    

From what I've read on them they really just seem like macro-bursts on steroids, but obvious created for different causes.. the end result is the same.

Cyclone enters a period of rapid intensification (bombogenesis) and the flow becomes asymmetric/unbalanced in the mid-levels, such that the flow becomes ageostrophic. This "gulped" air into the backside is often alien to the storm structure/thermo-dynamics (drier air), causing massive parcels to rapidly evaporate their moisture content. The air contained thus becomes unstable below the isentropes and falls under gravity, freely.

I have often wondered what tropospheric folding's role played in this.  Because by definition the mixing of lower stratospheric air would also be very very dry, and causing large, rapid evaporation and unstable negative CAPE phenomenon (one would think) would almost have to occur.    

Yes the sinking or downward motion aspect is definitely there as well. You can see these features nicely on WV too as the drier air tries to wrap in from the SW.

A fine Saturday.  Its a clipper flipper.

attachicon.gifIMG_7357_edited-1.jpg

Looks great Scott.  What's temp there in town?  We must be getting some really finedroplets on occassion here.  Stacking wood and getting in in the face--felt just like snow but way too warm for that.  I'll let your picture allow me to pretend.

46.5/42

Boston sucks, right on the water out in the bay. Just inland its much earlier.

Maybe we could launch an email campaign asking why they (NOAA) have their only official Boston station in the place that is warmest in the winter and coldest in the summer?   I always liked the idea of an official station somewhere on Boston Common.

Maybe we could launch an email campaign asking why they (NOAA) have their only official Boston station in the place that is warmest in the winter and coldest in the summer?   I always liked the idea of an official station somewhere on Boston Common.

Does it really need to be in the city itself?  You could probably find a better representative position if you'd look outside.

A similar scenario would be in place with ORH.  Yes, it is Worcester, but the conditions at the airport or very likely different than those in downtown.  Probably not too dissimilar to what I have more frequently than not here in relation to downtown Greenfield.  What's happening east of I-190 vs. west of I-190 are different animals. 

48.5/26

The official stations are ASOSes, and unfortunately those have to be located at airports since their primary purpose is air traffic safety. There's always the co-ops and the CRN for basic temp/precip climatology.

congrats to whoever sees some tonight

OVERNIGHT...APPROACHING SHORT WAVE AND COLD FRONT CROSS INTO THE
AREA...THESE FEATURES BRING MOSTLY CLOUDY SKIES AND SHOULD PRODUCE
ISOLATED TO SCATTERED SHOWERS. DEEP MOISTURE IS LACKING AND LOW
LEVEL CONVERGENCE IS WEAK...SO RAINFALL AMOUNTS ARE EXPECTED TO BE
LIGHT.

OVERNIGHT LOWS ARE MAINLY IN THE UPPER 30S TO MID 40S...HOWEVER IN
THE FAR INTERIOR TEMPERATURES SHOULD DIP INTO THE MID 30S IN SOME
LOCALES. THERE IS A POSSIBILITY THAT A FEW FLURRIES MAY FALL IN
A PORTION OF THE INTERIOR OVERNIGHT.

No they didn't. We will be battling SE ridge I think. It's important for people to realize its November however. I wouldn't be talking about winter wx like it were December.

all I want is one storm of 1 inch plus, then lock it up. Mega good juju. Getting excited about winter. Its been a long time of boring, won't be long at all. My winter's usually start at traditional date of 12/21 while interior els begin Met winter

Archived