Newest Member
    Toothache
Second Half of October Wx Discussion?

CT Rain

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Geeking out on Ryans channels winter special. Their winter forecast is next

Caught the last few minutes. Looked very well done. I wonder if they will replay it at some point? Sorta reminded me of the early days of the weather channel (with better graphics of course) where it was more a weather geek channel than what it turned into after the advent of the internet.

Yeah i had similar thoughts, despite the +QBO the stratosphere is quite cold across the equator but if the uptick continues based on my research it may have a residual effect on the overall state of the AO/NAO anomaly. This +AO/NAO anomaly may help bottle up the cold across the north and increase the snow cover and only moving further south in small pockets if the -EPO can maintain its state. 

I think 2008-09 is a good analog, what do you think? 07-08 had a moderate La Nina. 

2008-2009 is actually my main analog right now 

Caught the last few minutes. Looked very well done. I wonder if they will replay it at some point? Sorta reminded me of the early days of the weather channel (with better graphics of course) where it was more a weather geek channel than what it turned into after the advent of the internet.

Sunday at 10 AM

Sunday at 10 am and on demand on Comcast.

They get it, they don't underestimate the intelligence of their viewers.

great job, questions on 62/63 why so much snow in CT yet BOS only had 30,was very cold, belly to belly winter, great winter for a kid

That was a weird winter...ORH had 75.7". There was a small screwzone near BOS and the suburbs and up towards Ray's area.

Taking a look at everything today. EURO with that cutter and warm up and then back to a below normal shot at the end of the run. Looking closer, whether its cold or warm I think that pattern looks pretty transient. Cold air works into the northeast end of the run but with a low barreling into the pacific coast it would be shortlived.

18z GFS looks warmer than the EURO. Doesn't really cool us down. Any cold looks limited to Canada and locked up north of the border or into NNE. Throughout the run. 

A very interesting blog article on the potential for a cold and possible snowy period upcoming in early November. It seems that the recent tropical activity in the Northwest Pacific will alter the trough/ridge pattern across the Northern Hemisphere leading to more troughiness in the eastern U.S.--and to top it all off latent heat release has lead to an increase in Ozone, which will likely lead to a Sudden Stratospheric Warming event! Much more can be found here: http://weatherworksi...ber-snow-threat

2008-2009 is actually my main analog right now

Yeah the sst configuration is very similar to this year and when I analyzed some of the solar anomalies I found quite alot of similarities. Analogs such as 61-62 are good too but we have much more data to work upon on recent years than years such as that.

2008-09 was one of the top snowiest in toronto. I dont use YYZ cause they use the Nipher gauge but we got around 80-90 inches when averaging every station with 100 inches being the highest.

Yeah the sst configuration is very similar to this year and when I analyzed some of the solar anomalies I found quite alot of similarities. Analogs such as 61-62 are good too but we have much more data to work upon on recent years than years such as that.

2008-09 was one of the top snowiest in toronto. I dont use YYZ cause they use the Nipher gauge but we got around 80-90 inches when averaging every station with 100 inches being the highest.

Do you have any links handy regarding solar data?  (present, past, etc)

Pretty hard freeze incoming for those in southern Connecticut not right along the shore.

Running colder than last night, that's for sure.  Currently 30° here.  I noticed that my station over in Union just ticked down to 27° which is colder than it was this morning.  I'm sure that BOX will increase it's forecasted low of 29° with the mid shift update like they have in the past.  :D

Running colder than last night, that's for sure.  Currently 30° here.  I noticed that my station over in Union just ticked down to 27° which is colder than it was this morning.  I'm sure that BOX will increase it's forecasted low of 29° with the mid shift update like they have in the past.  :D

Down to 27 degrees now, and the dew is only 23... how low will it go?

Archived